Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2004, 19:59   #31
Accrington Web Mascot

Re: Pilky Buses

Didn't the paper also say that the Pilkington family were going to set up another bus company run by one of the members of the family not banned? Will the current drivers not be employed by this company?
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2004, 20:10   #32
God Member

Dont think so shortstuff, as far as i understand all family with an operating licence has had it taken off them. I did read tonight that it is up for sale though

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 22:39   #33
Always EVIL within us

Pilkies buses have just gone through a thoroughly unfair slagging by the local papers which have obviously influenced the people that read their rubbish. and they say that ignorance is bliss - -

If their buses had an 81% failure rate, this would be unacceptable but for those not in the know, I would like to point out that the "MoT" is carried out by the Ministry and NOT by the local garage like your average car.

I have known coaches to fail because a sign on the courier seat read "crew use only" What is wrong with that? According to strict Ministry rules it should read "for crew use only" or maybe an emergency door that they deem as being "too stiff" when opening!

Talking of emergency doors, one of the "major" defects reported by the papers [/B]was[B]a faulty door, but if the report was properly reported, it would read that the alarm did not sound in the cockpit (ie: where the driver sits) when the emergency door is opened. Hardly a deathtrap but a certain failure as far as the Ministry are concerned!

Another cause of failure is if the interior or exterior is not clean. All PCV's require steam cleaning underthe vehicle before its test or automatic failure.

This is just a couple of small examples of how strict the Ministry are.

WOULD YOUR CAR PASS SUCH CLOSE SCRUTINY!!

I would not say that Pilkies should not be punished as they are fully aware of the standards required, but in the majority of similar cases I am aware of, the companies concerned have had a percentage of their "O" licenses withdrawn leaving them with a smaller fleet until they get their act together and rethink their maintenance problems.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 22:41   #34
Always EVIL within us

Please overlook my mess up re: bold and underline, still getting used to it lol
Old 28-06-2004, 22:51   #35
Always EVIL within us

- - - and a little bit of hope for those unfortunate drivers, What normally happens is that they will "sell out" to another relative or trusted friend very cheaply who will apply and get some "O" licenses (not in any great quantity) and the end result is that come August, Pilkies will still be seen on the roads with the same management team but knowing they will be watched by the Ministry, will be hyper-sensitive to the condition of their PCV's.
Old 28-06-2004, 23:17   #36

I am sorry for the loss of jobs that the closure of Pilkingtons will cause but that is all. Of all the bus companies in the area I have found them to be the most reckless, rude, inconsiderate and down right dangerous on the road. If they maintain their buses like they drive it no wonder they have been banned. Having been cut up and given the v on more than one occasion by Pilky drivers ( without provocation ) and told to **** *** by the nice gentleman who answered the telephone when i rang to complain I am happy to say good riddance on behalf of many people in Hyndburn.

Perran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 23:35   #37

Busman sounds like he knows what he's talking about. What's an O licence?

The only times I have ever seen a bus driver behave in a possibly offensive manner is when some idiotic car driver overtakes them when they have already indicated to pull out, or forgets that if you can't see the bus mirrors then the bus driver can't see you.

They are human beings, not automatons.

My sympathy is with the Pilkington drivers. (not necessarily with the bosses) I think it was Willow who said that if these buses had actually been a danger to passengers there is no way they would still be operating until the end of a particular contract especially where children are concerned as I believe this is a schools contract they have been permitted to complete.

It seems that the bosses had been told once before to rectify certain things and simply hadn't brought the vehicles up to scratch. Perhaps they thought as the problems weren't severe it didn't matter. Now they know differently.

It could well be that another family member may have an unrevoked licence - someone not presently using it to operate this service. I was told something to the effect that an uncle may be in line to purchase some of the fleet.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2004, 23:38   #38
Always EVIL within us

and told to **** *** by the nice gentleman who answered the telephone when i rang to complain I am happy to say good riddance on behalf of many people in Hyndburn.

That is totally out of order Perran, If what you say is true (and I do not disbelieve) then they (the management) have a total disregard for public services. Maybe this is the reason the Ministry were so hard on the company - - [I]but please do not blame the drivers, I am sure that they must be pressurised into keeping with timetables, I experienced 4 months with a large bus company down south and if you were running late by 15 minutes, your lunch hour was reduced from 45 mins to 30 mins!! end of story! You still start the P.M. shift at the same time, How many workers would put up with that?
Old 28-06-2004, 23:42   #39

What about road works? Is any allowance made for the delays caused? Too many ruddy plastic cones on the roads round here at the mo.
Old 28-06-2004, 23:48   #40
Always EVIL within us

Hi Gobsmacked,

An "O" license is short for Operators license and every PCV on the road should have one. (You will see it in the windscreen like a second tax disc) If an operator has 4 discs, they can only put onto the road 4 vehicles so a company that wants to expand must give a good account of itself before the Ministry grants more "O" licenses to them. Likewise, If they do not fulfill the conditions set by the Ministry, they will have the number of licenses reduced.
Old 29-06-2004, 00:03   #41

Ah busdriverspeak.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 29-06-2004, 00:14   #42
Always EVIL within us

The timetables set by bus companies are made months in advance and are totally inflexible. (They have to be as workers who catch the 08:30 bus expect that bus to arrive at 08:30 every day)

I have been in a situation on school holidays for instance where I have been forced to drive at 15 mph because there are no delays at bus stops (no kids) and traffic is much lighter because of the holidays, A journey from stop A to B normally takes 15 mins will only take 5 mins because of light traffic. What do you do? People on the bus complain because the driver is going slow (They see the opportunity of getting to work or home that much earlier) but people getting the bus at the next stop may only get to the stop a couple of minutes before the bus is due to arrive! The driver gets it in the neck whatever he does!!!

Likewise, If there are roadworks, a bus driver is supposed to work miracles and turn up on time with a double decker bus even if car drivers are delayed!

I have yet to see a double decker with wings lol

(can anyone do an emoticon for me re: bus with wings please?) Willow????
Old 29-06-2004, 00:25   #43
Always EVIL within us

Aaw Gobsmacked, PLEASE don't call me a bus driver, I only have 4 months torture as such. At the mo, I am a minibus driver simply because I am learning my way around the area but I am an experienced coach driver from down south.

I remember in my youth, Taxi driving, and a punter would approach and say "Are you the taxi?" What a stupid question!! Do I look as if I have 4 wheels on my legs? lol
Old 29-06-2004, 00:39   #44
mez
God Member

having run 5 coaches with my ex some 25yrs ago i have to agree with busman, it is a very strict inspection wot the mot do so unless your coaches or buses are up to their specks forget it ., after all the public use thes e forms of transport ////
Old 29-06-2004, 00:42   #45

If you ran 5 coaches Mez does that mean you have five of these "O" licences? Now we've got one coach driver amongst us so maybe you two should get together and form a company to take over from Pilky's

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..