Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 15:43   #136
Give, give, give member

Re: Portrayal of women: (split)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
Runs and hides behind sofa.......Rindy's dummy hitting the wall at lightening speed.
Great attitude Slinks.

If we lose Willow from this forum, because she thinks the coven hates her, it's down to you, according to the message I had from her.

She wasn't the only person you upset with your nasty comments, three more females pm'd me but were too afraid to post....and all because you were so insulted were non was intended, if you had the intelligence to actually read the original post, that so offended your delicate ego, you'd have seen that.

Like I said respect works both ways.

Bored now.

As for Ginger, I've just ordered a gold medal for putting up with you for the last ten years.

Last edited by Len; 05-11-2006 at 19:18. Reason: a bit late but fixed
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2006, 15:46   #137
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Great attitude Slinks.

If we lose Willow from this forum, because she thinks the coven hates her, it's down to you, according to the message I had from her.

Shut up you muppet.....Like I said.....prove who I meant first before spouting crap.

Like I said respect works both ways.

Bored now.

Yes actually I am, nice observation skills.

As for Ginger, I've just ordered a gold medal for putting up with you for the last ten years.
Thats two he has now!!! I bought him one the first year we were married.

Miracles do happen!!

Last edited by Len; 05-11-2006 at 19:19. Reason: sorry fixed
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 15:48   #138
God Member

Don't you dare try to make my sister feel like a lesser person than Willow or any other member! Everybody has feelings. My are my sisters not important? If you'd have just apologised for your sweeping remark about stick thin people she wouldn't have to ellaborate would she!!

Last edited by Len; 04-11-2006 at 16:34. Reason: Fixed
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 15:52   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Don't you dare try to make my sister feel like a lesser person than Willow! Everybody hs feelings. My are my sisters not important? If you'd have just apologised for your sweeping remark about stick thin people she wouldn't have to ellaborate would she!!
Oh Tinks don't let him get to you chick. He can't have a opinion on his own, so he needs to make things up as he goes along, then say I upset people with my remarks. Will the people I have upset PLEASE pm me. I would like to know who you are. I had the guts to stand up for something I believe in, in full view of everyone else. SO SHOOT ME!!! If you reply to me by PM tonight, I may not have time to reply as I have to take my kiddi winkles to a Bonfire now. But I WILL reply and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Miracles do happen!!

Last edited by Len; 04-11-2006 at 16:35. Reason: Fixed
Old 04-11-2006, 15:55   #140
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Don't you dare try to make my sister feel like a lesser person than Willow! Everybody hs feelings. My are my sisters not important? If you'd have just apologised for your sweeping remark about stick thin people she wouldn't have to ellaborate would she!!
If you bother to read back I've appologised for unintentionally causing offence to Slinks more than once, which is more than she has to Willow, and even if she wasn't refering to Willow, who has taken it personally, what's the difference between Slinks taking offence at something that was unintentional, and Willow doing the same? None. At least I had the good manners to appologise.

I'll state again, women of all sizes are welcome to come and model, not just stick thin anorexics.(Meaning that unlike Milan/New York/Paris, models of all sizes will be welcome, including anorexics and lard arses, and everyone in between.)

Last edited by Len; 04-11-2006 at 16:36. Reason: Fixed
Old 04-11-2006, 15:56   #141
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you all go to the Plough at 7:30pm tonight to watch the fireworks I will buy you all a drink so you can kiss and make up before this goes too far.

By all I mean Slinky and Rindy ( and Ginger if I get another kiss ), the rest of you can buy your own you bunch of tight wads
Old 04-11-2006, 15:57   #142
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh Tinks don't let him get to you chick. He can't have a opinion on his own, so he needs to make things up as he goes along, then say I upset people with my remarks. Will the people I have upset PLEASE pm me. I would like to know who you are. I had the guts to stand up for something I believe in, in full view of everyone else. SO SHOOT ME!!! If you reply to me by PM tonight, I may not have time to reply as I have to take my kiddi winkles to a Bonfire now. But I WILL reply and I look forward to hearing from you all.
Don't start.

You'll lose.

Trust me.

Old 04-11-2006, 16:00   #143
God Member

I would never have intentionally insulted WILLOW or any one on this site for there weight or the lack of it. And you say WOMEN rindy, I mean women and men alike with weight problems. Weight doesn't just affect women.

That was my whole point in this thread.........NOT PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN about there size. So why the hell would I go and do it to willow?? DUH

Miracles do happen!!

Old 04-11-2006, 16:00   #144
God Member

Quote:
Don't start.

You'll lose.

Trust me.
We will see.......I want the PM's mate because I want to know who I have upset.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 04-11-2006, 17:50   #145
Junior Member+

Re: Real models required

Quote:
There is an absolutely beautiful, stunning Lancashire girl in Channel 5's 'Make me a Super Model'.

She's a size ten, slim in anyones books, and at least two sizes larger than the other models. She's told she has no chance of 'winning' because she's too fat, and is being encouraged to loose weight and crash diet That is a sad reflection on the society we live in. A society were young, healthy, normal girls aged nine, that I know personally, feel pressured to diet rather than just get on and enjoy their childhood.

The show at Accy Town Hall, will hopefully show that women of all sizes can be happy, confident, and glamorous.

End of.
As a bloke my self, i assure u im straighter than a pair of parallel lines
I, far one hate skinny doesn't do it 4 me at all. My girlfriend constantly strives far that extra pound that she can lose, time and time again i tell her skinny is not attractive (at least to me) its all about the tone. You can be 10 stone and still do it 4 me ^^
Who knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 20:57   #146
God Member

Quote:
Not sure if that is aimed at me and this thread?? But I will reply anyway. I brought this thread up because, It is one of my absolute hates when people think it is o.k to put people down about weight issues. I hate people who thinks it is o.k to call someone FAT, STICK THIN, ANOREXIC ( when they aren't they are just slim) being a Anorexic is a Illness - being slim is just what you are even though you eat see the difference. Making judgments on peoples sizes can have a lasting impact on that person, even though the person that makes the judgement may never ever think of the comment they made ever again.
This is not a new argument

Life and Health | Health and wellbeing | The shape we're in

Can I just reiterate that at no point did I say that you, Slinky, or anyone else for that matter, was unattractive because you were slim. I would never, ever, say anything to anyone about their weight. Mostly because I am self concious enough about my own that I would never comment on anyone elses.

My point was, and still is, that some women STARVE themselves to attain the body of a model. STARVING yourself is not healthy and there is no way that I would want to promote STARVATION as a lifestyle.

Healthy people come in all shapes and sizes, and that is what we want to represent in our fashion show.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 00:28   #147
Resident Waffler

OK, I was going to stay away from AccyWeb until people had stopped arguing about this because I have some real life things which have a bit of a bearing on some of the comments in here but which I don't actually want to go into in public, but following something someone said to me privately today I felt I want to come on this thread to clear up a couple of things from my point of view.

In Gayle's orignal thread Slinky said:

Quote:

Twice In this thread it says " hey guy's you don't have to be stick thin"....

What happens if I started one saying " Hey models needed, but you don't have to be a FAT cow to join"?? yes just as cutting!!

I would never call anyone a FAT COW or otherwise, so why do people think it is acceptable to call someone " stick thin, anorexic" ??
Now when I'd read Gayle's post and Rindy's post referring to thin models I did not think of naturally slim and attractive people, I thought of the so-called "super waif" image which is neither natural nor attractive. These aren't people who are naturally slim. Naturally slim people are attractive. These people Gayle and Rindy referred to are people who starve themselves almost to death to acheive an impossible figure which does not look attractive. I'm sure even the slim people on here and not just the 'fat cows' like me will look at those photographs with all the ribs and collar bones poking through the skin and in no way feel that these are images of attractive people.

Now normal people come in all shapes and sizes - some of us are short squirts with little fat legs and can't reach the top shelves in the kitchen. Some of us are blessed to be taller and oh how I envy them when they can just reach out and get something when I have to go and get a stepstool first. I refer to my own "little legs" when I can't reach things - or even struggle to climb onto a bar stool (Mez may rmember me doing that in the Stag) because I know I'm short. If anyone else refers to me as short it's just a fact. It's not an insult. Some people who are taller than average get a complex about their height. Maybe it's uncomfortable to be very tall - I don't know. Only a tall person can answer that.

I didn't, and still don't, see any reason why a naturally slim person who hasn't starved themselves into ill health to acheive a bustless bumless straight up and down bag of bones shape but who has a normal natural figure should jump to the defence of a hypothetical someone who has.

When some people see gorgeous dresses being worn by these models who only have the figures they have due to abusing their bodies they then buy something similar and when it doesn't look the same on them they assume they are at fault and try to emulate the model and acheive the same figure - with often tragic results. Young women have literally starved themselves to death trying to acheive something which they were never meant to be.

To those of you who are naturally slim and healthy then naturally slim is what you are meant to be and as I said to Garinda, if anyone called me a beanpole or a stick I'd be chuffed to little mintballs because it would mean I'd actually managed to lose weight, but it is probably an impossible dream for me due to a mixture of health problems which I don't intend to go into.

Please don't insult the intelligence of the fat cows amongs us by saying that people daren't insult us because it isn't PC. There is no legislation against fattism. In fact it has even been suggested that we are a hazzard to the public at large by our very existence in just the way that passive smokers cause others to breathe in their fumes. It has been proposed that we should be weighed when travelling by air and have to pay excess baggage. I've had insults shouted at me by ignorant kids and snide remarks made by ignorant adults such as "look at the size of that one." and "no wonder the chairs in here are broken" (in an office where I once worked, and no, I didn't break the chairs young idiots playing on them did that.)

We are told that we are ugly and accused of being sweaty, smelly and lazy by people who do not know us and in voices loud enough to be heard.

I would never insult a slim person. I envy slim people and would love to be one and if it was as easy as you think then why would I still be the size I am? I don't enjoy it. It isn't fun. Some overweight people may make jealous comments about slim people out of envy. I doubt a slim person would ever make a comment about a fat person out of envy.

However, although I would never insult a person of any size for being naturally that size, height or whatever; I do think it is wrong for fashion models to have been forced into trying to maintain an unnaturally skinny (and I choose that word intentionally as opposed to slim) shape which they can only sustain by living an unhealthy lifestyle.

For Gayle to have simply wanted to represent normal people of all shapes and sizes as opposed to the artificial model image and for it to have deteriorated into insulting people of different shapes and sizes is something I cannot understand. If you slim people have experienced insults from others in real life why should you then want to insult fat people here on AccyWeb when we have done nothing nor said anything to insult or offend you?

I hope this makes sense. I hope you can understand that the only people I have a problem with are the Kate Moss 'superwaif' types who live on snorting coke and smoking in order to stay impossibly thin. As a mother of teenage girls I hope and pray they never see anyone like that as a role model.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 05-11-2006 at 00:31.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 00:43   #148
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
OK, I was going to stay away from AccyWeb until people had stopped arguing about this because I have some real life things which have a bit of a bearing on some of the comments in here but which I don't actually want to go into in public, but following something someone said to me privately today I felt I want to come on this thread to clear up a couple of things from my point of view.

In Gayle's orignal thread Slinky said:

Now when I'd read Gayle's post and Rindy's post referring to thin models I did not think of naturally slim and attractive people, I thought of the so-called "super waif" image which is neither natural nor attractive. These aren't people who are naturally slim. Naturally slim people are attractive. These people Gayle and Rindy referred to are people who starve themselves almost to death to acheive an impossible figure which does not look attractive. I'm sure even the slim people on here and not just the 'fat cows' like me will look at those photographs with all the ribs and collar bones poking through the skin and in no way feel that these are images of attractive people.

Now normal people come in all shapes and sizes - some of us are short squirts with little fat legs and can't reach the top shelves in the kitchen. Some of us are blessed to be taller and oh how I envy them when they can just reach out and get something when I have to go and get a stepstool first. I refer to my own "little legs" when I can't reach things - or even struggle to climb onto a bar stool (Mez may rmember me doing that in the Stag) because I know I'm short. If anyone else refers to me as short it's just a fact. It's not an insult. Some people who are taller than average get a complex about their height. Maybe it's uncomfortable to be very tall - I don't know. Only a tall person can answer that.

I didn't, and still don't, see any reason why a naturally slim person who hasn't starved themselves into ill health to acheive a bustless bumless straight up and down bag of bones shape but who has a normal natural figure should jump to the defence of a hypothetical someone who has.

When some people see gorgeous dresses being worn by these models who only have the figures they have due to abusing their bodies they then buy something similar and when it doesn't look the same on them they assume they are at fault and try to emulate the model and acheive the same figure - with often tragic results. Young women have literally starved themselves to death trying to acheive something which they were never meant to be.

To those of you who are naturally slim and healthy then naturally slim is what you are meant to be and as I said to Garinda, if anyone called me a beanpole or a stick I'd be chuffed to little mintballs because it would mean I'd actually managed to lose weight, but it is probably an impossible dream for me due to a mixture of health problems which I don't intend to go into.

Please don't insult the intelligence of the fat cows amongs us by saying that people daren't insult us because it isn't PC. There is no legislation against fattism. In fact it has even been suggested that we are a hazzard to the public at large by our very existence in just the way that passive smokers cause others to breathe in their fumes. It has been proposed that we should be weighed when travelling by air and have to pay excess baggage. I've had insults shouted at me by ignorant kids and snide remarks made by ignorant adults such as "look at the size of that one." and "no wonder the chairs in here are broken" (in an office where I once worked, and no, I didn't break the chairs young idiots playing on them did that.)

We are told that we are ugly and accused of being sweaty, smelly and lazy by people who do not know us and in voices loud enough to be heard.

I would never insult a slim person. I envy slim people and would love to be one and if it was as easy as you think then why would I still be the size I am? I don't enjoy it. It isn't fun. Some overweight people may make jealous comments about slim people out of envy. I doubt a slim person would ever make a comment about a fat person out of envy.

However, although I would never insult a person of any size for being naturally that size, height or whatever; I do think it is wrong for fashion models to have been forced into trying to maintain an unnaturally skinny (and I choose that word intentionally as opposed to slim) shape which they can only sustain by living an unhealthy lifestyle.

For Gayle to have simply wanted to represent normal people of all shapes and sizes as opposed to the artificial model image and for it to have deteriorated into insulting people of different shapes and sizes is something I cannot understand. If you slim people have experienced insults from others in real life why should you then want to insult fat people here on AccyWeb when we have done nothing nor said anything to insult or offend you?

I hope this makes sense. I hope you can understand that the only people I have a problem with are the Kate Moss 'superwaif' types who live on snorting coke and smoking in order to stay impossibly thin. As a mother of teenage girls I hope and pray they never see anyone like that as a role model.
And you WILLOW!!! before I am banned!!! You should have known better than to hide behind ****ing RINDY!!!!!!

Never did I ever make any nasty comment towards you.........but you!!!! didn't have the ****ing guts to PM me and tell me where and when I had offended you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! probably because it never ****ing happened.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 05-11-2006, 00:55   #149
Resident Waffler

What I discussed with Garinda was private between me and him. It was not insulting you at any time Slinky, nor your sister. I was discussing something with him which I did not wish to discuss on the open board, which I do not wish to discuss with anyone else and which has absolutely nothing to do with you. It is personal.

Now, for the record if anyone goes up to Tinks as she said earlier and says "God isn't your sister thin" then yes I agree with her that it's an insult and they have absolutely no right to say such a thing. Anyone doing so should be ashamed of themselves

Apart from anything else though I don't see that either of you are unnaturally thin. I think you both look great. I wish I could look the same.

I actually said to Busman that night at the Boar's Head when you, Tinkerbelle and AccyMel were sitting together, that I wished I could be as slim as you three because you have a figure I would die for but cannot ever hope to acheive. If you were my sister and anyone said to me "God isn't your sister thin" then I would find that as offensive as them saying to me "God aren't you fat." I would also think they were slightly barmy because there's nothing remarkable, odd, unusual or whatever about the way you look.

The point is that the original comment about models wasn't about normal slim people it was about people who are not a normal natural size and stay that way by starving themselves and living off drugs - it's that lifstyle method of being what they are and portraying it as desireable which was the point raised.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 05-11-2006 at 00:57.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:23   #150
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
What I discussed with Garinda was private between me and him. It was not insulting you at any time Slinky, nor your sister. I was discussing something with him which I did not wish to discuss on the open board, which I do not wish to discuss with anyone else and which has absolutely nothing to do with you. It is personal.

Now, for the record if anyone goes up to Tinks as she said earlier and says "God isn't your sister thin" then yes I agree with her that it's an insult and they have absolutely no right to say such a thing. Anyone doing so should be ashamed of themselves

Apart from anything else though I don't see that either of you are unnaturally thin. I think you both look great. I wish I could look the same.

I actually said to Busman that night at the Boar's Head when you, Tinkerbelle and AccyMel were sitting together, that I wished I could be as slim as you three because you have a figure I would die for but cannot ever hope to acheive. If you were my sister and anyone said to me "God isn't your sister thin" then I would find that as offensive as them saying to me "God aren't you fat." I would also think they were slightly barmy because there's nothing remarkable, odd, unusual or whatever about the way you look.

The point is that the original comment about models wasn't about normal slim people it was about people who are not a normal natural size and stay that way by starving themselves and living off drugs - it's that lifstyle method of being what they are and portraying it as desireable which was the point raised.
Thankyou for that post WILLOW..I really hope through these post's that I haven't offended you in any way shape or form, but as you will have noticed, I am being made out to be calling large people, and as people will have noticed, my own husband is not a small person either, so as I meant at the beginning of all this I do NOT like comments about either size and that is how all this started me voicing a personal opinion. So once again, there was no offence meant to anybody.

Miracles do happen!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..