Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2011, 17:28   #136
Resting in Peace

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Strange...back in post 116, you said you were "coming off this thread". Wouldn't have been telling porkies would you, Kate? (Oh no, those pesky emoticons again -they keep popping up everywhere!).
Yes, I lied ... just call me Miss Piggy.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2011, 17:40   #137
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, I lied ... just call me Miss Piggy.
Remember Kate Miss Piggy, used to all the bests dates
Old 14-02-2011, 18:13   #138
JCB

Enjoy.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 19:37   #139
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Enjoy.
I'm sure the tiny minority of residents who think it a good use of public money, will do.

Apparently not much in it for the vast majority of people. Besides having to pay the bill.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 20:44   #140
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i reckon the latest recruit number 7 is a real wind up merchant, aint ya G.G.
Old 14-02-2011, 20:54   #141
God Member

If they spend money on the wedding there might be nothing left for barmpot schemes like flashdances and waterless swimming.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 22:33   #142
Give, give, give member

Questions were put to the Leader of the Council, summarised below, to which he
responded -

To ask the Leader of the Council how much he intended to spend on the proposed
royal wedding celebrations in April, bearing in mind guidance from Buckingham Palace
that this was to be an “austerity wedding” and bearing in mind the likelihood of
compulsory redundancies within the Council (Councillor Parkinson)

COUNCIL

Sadly the response isn't given here.

Any councillor present care to enlighten us?

Old 14-02-2011, 23:04   #143
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Questions were put to the Leader of the Council, summarised below, to which he
responded -

To ask the Leader of the Council how much he intended to spend on the proposed
royal wedding celebrations in April, bearing in mind guidance from Buckingham Palace
that this was to be an “austerity wedding” and bearing in mind the likelihood of
compulsory redundancies within the Council (Councillor Parkinson)

COUNCIL

Sadly the response isn't given here.

Any councillor present care to enlighten us?

Mmmmmmm also interesting to read about the Market Hall trading days aswell.........
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 10:26   #144
JCB

Quote:
I'm sure the tiny minority of residents who think it a good use of public money, will do.

Apparently not much in it for the vast majority of people. Besides having to pay the bill.
I agree that it is not for the Government , national or local , to spend money helping people to celebrate William and Kate's wedding .

I will enjoy the event , mostly through TV , and I might raise a glass or two to toast the happy couple , but it will be at my expense .

I admire the Queen and I think William is making a good start on his way to becoming King .

I won't comment on Charles .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 15:37   #145
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I agree that it is not for the Government , national or local , to spend money helping people to celebrate William and Kate's wedding .

I will enjoy the event , mostly through TV , and I might raise a glass or two to toast the happy couple , but it will be at my expense .

I admire the Queen and I think William is making a good start on his way to becoming King .

I won't comment on Charles .
That's perfectly fine, and like any other youngle couple setting out on their married lives together, most of us will wish them well.

This is about unnecessary costs.

For instance if there's a budget already set aside for bedding plants, I'm sure only the churlish would disagree with the plan to have a red, white, and blue colour scheme. Not collecting fees for road closures, because of street parties, again no real finacial cost to the tax payer. No problem.

As it stands, we have ardent royalists voting no, they don't want their taxes spent on local civic celebrations. Sentiments which seem to echo the thoughts of the couple themselves. That the wedding should be relatively low key, and excess and extravagance should be kept to a minimum, because of the dire state of the UK economy, and the savage cuts we are beginning to see.

Yet Hyndburn plans to mark the occasion with majestic pomp and pageanty, topped off by exploding fireworks. Which the majority of those who'll pay for it seem disinterested or apathetic about, to say the least. Whilst others are very angry.

Last edited by garinda; 15-02-2011 at 15:39.
Old 15-02-2011, 16:10   #146
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
That's perfectly fine, and like any other youngle couple setting out on their married lives together, most of us will wish them well.

This is about unnecessary costs.

For instance if there's a budget already set aside for bedding plants, I'm sure only the churlish would disagree with the plan to have a red, white, and blue colour scheme. Not collecting fees for road closures, because of street parties, again no real finacial cost to the tax payer. No problem.

As it stands, we have ardent royalists voting no, they don't want their taxes spent on local civic celebrations. Sentiments which seem to echo the thoughts of the couple themselves. That the wedding should be relatively low key, and excess and extravagance should be kept to a minimum, because of the dire state of the UK economy, and the savage cuts we are beginning to see.

Yet Hyndburn plans to mark the occasion with majestic pomp and pageanty, topped off by exploding fireworks. Which the majority of those who'll pay for it seem disinterested or apathetic about, to say the least. Whilst others are very angry.
Let's be honest, this is a poll of accyweb, yes, the majority on here are against.
But, the majority are represented by Their Councillors, they, (the Councillors), (despite the couple themselves, insisting that this wedding should be low key), insist on spending our money in celebration.

Rindy,

Surely now is a time to back down?
Surely THEY know better than you?
They have after all, been voted in because they KNOW.

Surely you must realise the importance of putting self before populace?

Award yourself a medal.

Creep like mad to Royalty.

Get a knighthood.

Continue creeping to the right powers, and become...

Lord Yellow badge of Hyndburn, a bigger title, gosh, won't that do us, his subjects a power of good?

Last edited by Less; 15-02-2011 at 16:12.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 16:13   #147
God Member

Quote:
Fireworks, eh? This is excellent news; in fact,seems to be getting better every day. I trust that some of the pet owning republicans on here will appreciate the noise as their dogs and cats go berserk on this wonderful day. Now I'm more than ever tempted to return north for these great celebrations - it will certainly save me spending money on flags and bunting and the like.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 16:20   #148
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Let's be honest, this is a poll of accyweb, yes, the majority on here are against it.
It isn't a borough wide survey, that is true, but as Accy Webbers are a fairly diverse bunch, I think it does probably reflect the feelings of the greater majority of Hyndburn residents.

I gave my opinion, and started this poll to see if I was alone in thinking council taxes shouldn't be spent on official celebrations.

It seems I'm not alone.

Old 15-02-2011, 16:23   #149
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Fireworks, eh? This is excellent news; in fact,seems to be getting better every day. I trust that some of the pet owning republicans on here will appreciate the noise as their dogs and cats go berserk on this wonderful day. Now I'm more than ever tempted to return north for these great celebrations - it will certainly save me spending money on flags and bunting and the like.
If your bail conditions allow, and you hurry back quickly, you could perhaps even join us in paying for it all.

Old 15-02-2011, 16:30   #150
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
It isn't a borough wide survey, that is true, but as Accy Webbers are a fairly diverse bunch, I think it does probably reflect the feelings of the greater majority of Hyndburn residents.

I gave my opinion, and started this poll to see if I was alone in thinking council taxes shouldn't be spent on official celebrations.

It seems I'm not alone.
You're deffo not alone, but even our so called, majority party can't be allowed to choose anything for themselves, he's supposed to lead but rumour says no-one wants to follow. (Allegedly).

Ooooh, I'm into MagsR territory, Nothing to back it up, please, treat this as a denial!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..