Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2011, 10:12   #256
Give, give, give member

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Its just become another Britcliffe slagging thread
No it hasn't.

Certainly not by me.

Please feel free to copy and paste any evidence to the contrary.

For the majority of people who've voted or expressed an opinion, it seems very much a right versus wrong issue, in the current economic crisis.

Lots of people think it's wrong to spend council taxes on celebratory civic events.

Very clear cut, in the eyes of the vast majority.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2011, 10:27   #257
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No it hasn't.

Certainly not by me.

Please feel free to copy and paste any evidence to the contrary.

For the majority of people who've voted or expressed an opinion, it seems very much a right versus wrong issue, in the current economic crisis.

Lots of people think it's wrong to spend council taxes on celebratory civic events.

Very clear cut, in the eyes of the vast majority.
G I don't have a problem with that you may just notice I vote against as well, so I'm with you on this, okay you may not have gone down the line of BS but lots have, which has only cheapened the thread in my opinion, and after all opinions are what these sites are about, arn'y they
Old 16-02-2011, 10:37   #258
Give, give, give member

Quote:
G I don't have a problem with that you may just notice I vote against as well, so I'm with you on this, okay you may not have gone down the line of BS but lots have, which has only cheapened the thread in my opinion, and after all opinions are what these sites are about, arn'y they
I can think of very little personal criticism aimed at Cllr. Britcliffe in this thread, or any evidence of any political agenda, so we'll have to disagree on those accusations.

A greater number of people think it isn't right spending any money on royal wedding celebrations in Hyndburn.

That's fact.

Old 16-02-2011, 10:41   #259
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I can think of very little personal criticism aimed at Cllr. Britcliffe in this thread, or any evidence of any political agenda, so we'll have to disagree on those accusations.

A greater number of people think it isn't right spending any money on royal wedding celebrations in Hyndburn.

That's fact.
As you keep say, so do I and thats another fact
Old 16-02-2011, 11:02   #260
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As you keep say, so do I and thats another fact

It's also a fact that no one as yet provided evidence that 'Its just become another Britcliffe slagging thread', which somehow 'has only cheapened the thread'.

That seems more likely to be evidence that someone is trying to score cheap political points, when most everyone else hasn't. For instance saying the spending is wrong, but surmising it would be three times as wrong if we had a Labour controlled council.

Could be there are a few with a political agenda, when for most of us the issue is very much right versus wrong.

Old 16-02-2011, 12:00   #261
Beacon of light

It matters not one jot who is in power........I would still be saying 'NO'.......unless, that is, there was money to spare for such frivolity.

I have mentioned Councillor Britcliffe.......isn't he supposed to be Leader of the Council? If that is the case then he should lead by example and veto and squandering of our local taxes for such an event........I would have much more respect for a leader who displays a grasp of the pressures on the local economy.

However, in my opinion(and it is only my opinion) he is going to spend the money hoping that it will catch votes at the local election, which is pretty hot on the heels of this event.

As they say in the farming community......it is poor soil that needs a lot of top dressing, or Fur coat and no knickers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 12:30   #262
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I've not voiced an opinion up until now as I am an outsider looking in, but common sense dictates that if you haven't got the money to spend you shouldn't be offering it up. Although I believe somewhere there was mention of the Council being in credit, good for them, but if that money is to be used then use it on what people need & not what is presumed they want !

As individuals we are required to set our priorities based on our needs (although some would sooner feed their wants, then bitch like hell about having nothing) or we would very soon be on our arses. That being so then those in authority should endeavour to maintain the same attitudes of sensible balancing surely ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 13:08   #263
Super Moderator

'People love to party and the Royal Wedding of William and Kate provides a great opportunity for a good old "knees up". We are planning a whole host of events here in Hyndburn and also want to make it as easy as possible for local people to celebrate this historic event in your own way including staging your own street party. Ideas are very much at the early stages, but we'd like to have our very our own Hyndburn Royal Wedding festival over the Easter weekend starting on Friday 22 April, taking in St George's day on Monday 25 April and then over the following weekend starting on the big day itself 29 April and running until the May Day Bank Holiday on Mon 2 May. Watch the Observer for more news as ideas are firmed up.'
Leaders Viewpoint February 2011

Well, Jay, seeing as it was Councillor Britcliffe who announced this in the first place, how on earth do you expect posters NOT to mention him?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 13:11   #264
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
As individuals we are required to set our priorities based on our needs (although some would sooner feed their wants, then bitch like hell about having nothing) or we would very soon be on our arses. That being so then those in authority should endeavour to maintain the same attitudes of sensible balancing surely ?
That is the common sense approach that you would expect the local council to employ....alas, common sense isn't actually common at all.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 13:26   #265
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Questions were put to the Leader of the Council, summarised below, to which he
responded -

To ask the Leader of the Council how much he intended to spend on the proposed
royal wedding celebrations in April, bearing in mind guidance from Buckingham Palace
that this was to be an “austerity wedding” and bearing in mind the likelihood of
compulsory redundancies within the Council (Councillor Parkinson)

COUNCIL

Sadly the response isn't given here.

Any councillor present care to enlighten us?
Quote:
The thing is Labour would probably have spent three times the money on it
Quote:
But it HAS been turned into a political issue, thats the only problem
Yes by you jaysay, even though yeh voted NO, The leader was asked what i view a perfectly reasonable question as to the costs n there was no answer, WHY? that to me is a glaring example of his disregard fer other viewpoints, how would you explain the silence? as others have stated whoever was in power the objection would be the same, as you yerself have demonstrated,so in my mind its you thats turned this into a political issue by yer above comment, i'm seriously beginning to wonder if you yerself have attempted to turn this into a P.B. slagging thread, fer yer own personal reasons? the reason i think that is cos knowing yeh, n knowing yeh aint stupid, its the only sensible reason i can think of.
Old 16-02-2011, 16:21   #266
God Member

i notice the people who want this to be funded at our expense are in an overwheliming minority so in the good old traditional british way it looks like they win

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 16:37   #267
God Member

Looks like we might be on the hook for this post-wedding visit CBC News - Canada - Prince William, Kate to visit Canada But we can afford it; so, outside of la belle province, I don't think there will be many complaints.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 16:46   #268
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i notice the people who want this to be funded at our expense are in an overwheliming minority so in the good old traditional british way it looks like they win
Sadly, we only get the occasional vote & it's a blanket job, those of us that drag ourselves to the polling booths, don't have a say until we next go to the booth, it is interesting though that most of our representatives that do post have kept off this thread, what a shame that real democracy could not have been put into action, you want to celebrate, then you pay, don't expect it to be free it's your celebration.
Come on Rindy stop sulking, surely you agree with that?
:-)
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 16:58   #269
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Come on Rindy stop sulking, surely you agree with that?
:-)
I'm much to lazy to waste energy sulking. It's a complete waste of time, like jealousy.

If you notice I've posted in this thread throughout the day.

Ever since I had to stuck your li'l titty bottle back in.

Which I stil find amusing.

Nothing much more to add.

Faced with cuts to services, and likely job losses, spending money on royal wedding celebrations in Hyndburn I think is wrong, insensitive, and verging on the immoral.

I'll add a li'l funny face, so you'll hopefully know it's the real, and not some mythical poster, using the same log in.

Old 16-02-2011, 17:16   #270
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'm much to lazy to waste energy sulking. It's a complete waste of time, like jealousy.

If you notice I've posted in this thread throughout the day.

Ever since I had to stuck your li'l titty bottle back in.

Which I stil find amusing.

Nothing much more to add.

Faced with cuts to services, and likely job losses, spending money on royal wedding celebrations in Hyndburn I think is wrong, insensitive, and verging on the immoral.

I'll add a li'l funny face, so you'll hopefully know it's the real, and not some mythical poster, using the same log in.

O.K.
We'll try this...
Rindy, I humbly apologise for whatever it was you imagined I deserved your vicious rant for, I will never disagree with you in the slightest way, you are obviously superior and although I meant you no harm with whatever upset you, I deserve severe castigation for even thinking it. (even though I didn't)
Does that make you feel better?
I thought we were mates, please, prove me right.
(I still think by the way, no need to worry about the foreigners voting, the no vote as represented as it is on here is a landslide).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..