Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should local taxes be spent celebrating this?
Yes, they should. 9 10.84%
No, they shouldn't. 74 89.16%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2011, 23:29   #241
God Member

Re: Royal Wedding - The poll.

Just out of interest, why didn't we see a similar level of opposition to the council funded Melas over the last few years?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-02-2011 at 23:32.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2011, 23:33   #242
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Thank you, Councillor. You have just proved my point. Despite the large reduction in central grant, HBC is still receiving a substancial amount of dosh from Whitehall and as such some of that money should be put to good use in celebrating something like the Royal Wedding.

Just what would the rest of the country think of the town if it was to blatantly turn it's face to our Wills & Kate? Not much, I think; out the door would go any external investment, jobs down the pan, long dole queues - the constant spiral of economic and social decline. And all because of a few idiots who when they are not wearing their burka for bed are busy preaching republican clap-trap on here.
Still not found the source, where your council's royal wedding celebration was stated as being £240,000.00 yet?

We'll be waiting until tomorrow now.

At this appallingly slow snail's pace I'm glad you aren't organising the wedding celebrations.

They'd have had their first baby whilst you were still looking for the confetti.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 23:36   #243
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Still not found the source, where your council's royal wedding celebration was stated as being £240,000.00 yet?

We'll be waiting until tomorrow now.

At this appallingly slow snail's pace I'm glad you aren't organising the wedding celebrations.

They'd have had their first baby whilst you were still looking for the confetti.
I told you. You started this nonsense; so you put your numbers on the line first, then I'll put mine on. OK?

Otherwise, if you've nothing better to say, then go to bed.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 23:39   #244
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
When was the last time Hyndburn spent council taxes on royal weddings.. when I was up there the pubs were opened all day and that was it... some streets did put a bit of a do on but I doubt it was paid for by the council.
Nothing to stop people doing that now.

No one minds that fees to close streets for parties are being waived.

Good luck to them, if they want to eat butties sat in damp spring streets, and pay for the privilege themselves.

Old 15-02-2011, 23:45   #245
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I told you. You started this nonsense; so you put your numbers on the line first, then I'll put mine on. OK?

Er...that's the whole point. Sadly we don't yet know.

It's minuted that Cllr. Britcliffe was asked what the budget was, but his answer wasn't.

We're waiting with bated breath for the answer to be pased on to us, hopefully from a fellow councillor who was present at the meeting.

So, your own council's very precise budget figure of £240.000.00 was sourced from where?

Old 16-02-2011, 00:01   #246
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I've just had a terible thought!

When asked what your own council's programme of events was, to celebrate the royal wedding in the Peoples' Republic of Tower Hamlets, and what budget has been allocated for it. Actually there might not be too much planned, or much/any money to spend on it.

So, in an act of futility you made up some guff, and grabbed the figure of two hundred and forty grand out of fresh air.

It would help explain your reticence in providing the source of the figure.

Nah.

Surely no one could be that desperate.

So, where did the figure of £240,000.00 come from?

Last edited by garinda; 16-02-2011 at 00:09.
Old 16-02-2011, 00:11   #247
Give, give, give member

Anyway, well done apologists, for keeping this thread active.

That no vote keeps on rising.

Old 16-02-2011, 08:30   #248
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I am sorry but that is how the Council works. If your expecting a letter every time a decision is to be made it will never happen no matter who is in power.
I don't think we were expecting a letter.....but it is a no-brainer really, isn't it?
The borough is strapped for cash, the government is reigning in the hand outs, yet PB thinks it is OK to squander money on there unwarranted celebrations........will the council workers who get the heave-ho feel like celebrating the loss of their jobs?

It would be a relatively simple task for the council leader to make an announcement to the effect 'In the current financial situation, the council feel that public service responsibilities come ahead of celebrating the Royal Wedding'......but then it wouldn't avail him of any photo opportunites to massage his ego.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 08:52   #249
Resting in Peace

I actually think a lot of people on here are going to be terribly disappointed if Labour take control in May, if their past performances at disposing of cash is anything to go by
Old 16-02-2011, 09:01   #250
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I actually think a lot of people on here are going to be terribly disappointed if Labour take control in May, if their past performances at disposing of cash is anything to go by
and that has relevance to the fact this thread is about the Royal Wedding? yeh forgot to take yer pills i think.
Old 16-02-2011, 09:20   #251
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
and that has relevance to the fact this thread is about the Royal Wedding? yeh forgot to take yer pills i think.
The thing is Labour would probably have spent three times the money on it
Old 16-02-2011, 09:53   #252
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The thing is Labour would probably have spent three times the money on it
...and if they did I'm sure there'd be an equally large majority of us who thought that it would be wrong. I certainly would.

The accusation that there's some political agenda at work here, in thinking money should not be spent celebrating this occasion locally is ludicrous.

For once on here, there seems there's political unity, in opposing spending council taxes on this, when we are seeing such savage cuts in services, and the threat of job losses.

I've certainly no political axe to grind. The Leader of the Council, who seems to be the one pushing for the planned celebrations, happens to be my own ward councillor, and whom I voted for last May.

The pathetic cry of political bias only seems to work one way, in the eyes of the party faithful. Though personally I've yet to be criticised of any anti-Labour bias, on the many times I've been scathing and critical of the last government.

This issue is about right and wrong.

The majority of us here think it's wrong.

Old 16-02-2011, 09:56   #253
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...and if they did I'm sure there'd be an equally large majority of us who thought that it would be wrong. I certainly would.

The accusation that there's some political agenda at work here, in thinking money should not be spent celebrating this occasion locally is ludicrous.

For once on here, there seems there's political unity, in opposing spending council taxes on this, when we are seeing such savage cuts in services, and the threat of job losses.

I've certainly no political axe to grind. The Leader of the Council, who seems to be the one pushing for the planned celebrations, happens to be my own ward councillor, and whom I voted for last May.

The pathetic cry of political bias only seems to work one way, in the eyes of the party faithful. Though personally I've yet to be criticised of any anti-Labour bias, on the many times I've been scathing and critical of the last government.

This issue is about right and wrong.

The majority of us here think it's wrong.
But it HAS been turned into a political issue, thats the only problem
Old 16-02-2011, 09:58   #254
Give, give, give member

Quote:
But it HAS been turned into a political issue, thats the only problem

Er...care to explain how it has?

There is opposition across the political divide.

Love to read your explanation as to how this is a political issue.

Old 16-02-2011, 10:06   #255
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Er...care to explain how it has?

There is opposition across the political divide.

Love to read your explanation as to how this is a political issue.
Its just become another Britcliffe slagging thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..