Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 13:14   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: School Beards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
What's annoying about this whole debacle is that the parents of two kids have held a whole school to ransom on the grounds of religious belief.

Ok, fine....but..

Eid means shutdown for Blackburn school (From Lancashire Telegraph)

A whole school is closed because the majority will truant because of the parents religious beliefs...what about the minority who will not truant, whose parents don't share those beliefs and are trying to earn a living, but will have to arrange and pay for childcare or lose 3 days wages.

This is what winds people up...it's always a one way climbdown...it's all give..give..give..and no take!
That's why they say Britain is such a great place Guinness, we have a give and take society, We give and every other beggar takes
cashman and Greeny like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 13:17   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Crucifix

As it's a Roman Catholic school then all pupils should be able to break the banning of jewellery rule. For religious reasons of course
BERNADETTE and Restless like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 13:19   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
What's annoying about this whole debacle is that the parents of two kids have held a whole school to ransom on the grounds of religious belief.

Ok, fine....but..

Eid means shutdown for Blackburn school (From Lancashire Telegraph)

A whole school is closed because the majority will truant because of the parents religious beliefs...what about the minority who will not truant, whose parents don't share those beliefs and are trying to earn a living, but will have to arrange and pay for childcare or lose 3 days wages.

This is what winds people up...it's always a one way climbdown...it's all give..give..give..and no take!
Try taking your kids out for a holiday and see what happens
Guinness likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 13:21   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Yes , and for the Hyndburn Council ward of Spring Hill , where I live , and for the LCC ward of Accrington West .

I look forward to speaking to him if he comes knocking on my door asking for my support when he is next up for re-election .

Reading between the lines , I think that the school governors were prepared to stand by their policy , having had the pupils taught in isolation and then excluding them from the school and not allowing them to return unless they were clean shaven .

Why the U - turn ? I am sure that the intervention of the Bishop of Salford , within whose diocese Accrington is situated , has been crucial .

From the BBC website I quote : " The Bishop of Salford advised governors to work with the Islamic community and "support boys who are genuinely and fully committed to their faith".

It's fine for the bishop to start dictating from his ivory tower in Wardley Hall , Worsley , but this mess is just playing into the hands of such as are to be found in the BNP and EDL , and this whole business can have done nothing but harm to relations within the school and to the morale of the staff and governors .

Not a very happy situation .
As you know Colin I'm a left footer but I don't always agree with what we are supposed to adhere too, this is another person getting involved without a clue of the ramifications, just like the Pope really on things like birth control, I can't be doing with anybody making the rules when they don't play the game.
Old 12-10-2013, 13:24   #110
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJWatson View Post
There aint no Great in Britain anymore
There ain't been a Great Britain for a long time now Mr. G
magpie and Greeny like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 19:46   #111

The thing that gets me is whether your talking religion or ethnic origin these people make up about 2% of the population yet we bow down every time something upsets them. I like the Australian ideal of if you don't like it here leave.

http://silentsspeech.wordpress.com/2...does-it-again/

Last edited by Shurm; 12-10-2013 at 19:49.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 19:59   #112

The above is meant to be a hoax though but sounds good to me
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 20:50   #113
Beacon of light

I like the Australian ideal too...and it was said by an Australian politician.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 06:30   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I like the Australian ideal too...and it was said by an Australian politician.

Margaret, it was a hoax. It first circulated by email in 2009, and was supposed to be stated in a speech by then the Prime Minster at the time, Kevin Rudd. The exact speech did the rounds again last year, but this time Julia Gillard has been given the honour of making it.

No present Australian politician, apart from Pauline Hanson, would have the guts to come out with a speech like that. They are no different here than in the uk. They just feather their own nests, then clear off with a big fat super package
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 08:43   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Rob, just because it is like that now doesn't mean it is going to stay that way.
Ya only have to look at the local councils up and down the country but it will happen, your right
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 08:49   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJWatson View Post
Ya only have to look at the local councils up and down the country but it will happen, your right
You can also take a look at the parties on any council, they are all usually have Asian representatives within their structure making sure they can influence whoever runs the council
Old 13-10-2013, 20:30   #117
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Taking it a bit too far..

Look mostly white religions to me...
You can have white Muslims as well Rob , you shouldn't judge peoples religions by the colour of their skins
Old 13-10-2013, 21:04   #118
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Margaret, it was a hoax. It first circulated by email in 2009, and was supposed to be stated in a speech by then the Prime Minster at the time, Kevin Rudd. The exact speech did the rounds again last year, but this time Julia Gillard has been given the honour of making it.

No present Australian politician, apart from Pauline Hanson, would have the guts to come out with a speech like that. They are no different here than in the uk. They just feather their own nests, then clear off with a big fat super package
I don't care if it was a hoax..... it was a damn fine sentiment!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 23:28   #119
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
You can have white Muslims as well Rob , you shouldn't judge peoples religions by the colour of their skins
HAR HAR. Whats the chances of a room with a few hundred white people of em all being muslims?
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 09:39   #120
God Member

apparantly theres been a lot of trouble at the school since these boys and their beards returned resulting in police presence

yet agan a small few cauing a lot of fuss and trouble becaus ethings arnt been done how they want them to be done

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..