Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2013, 13:26   #1
Senior Member+

School Beards.

Two bearded boys barred from Accrington school Mount Carmel Roman Catholic High School - Accrington Observer

They where talking about this on radio 5.

In terms of science, How does a 14 year old grow a beard?
Parents been putting bio grow on their cornflakes?

DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2013, 13:31   #2
Senior Member+

Re: School Beards.

According to the daily mail, copper tops are also banned.
'Children who turn up to school with red hair, inappropriate jewellery, false tan or make-up are isolated in a room until the matter is addressed and then they return to their normal day.
Muslim pupils, 14, banned from the classroom for refusing to shave off their beards after claiming their religion forbids it | Mail Online
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 14:32   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Pardon me whilst I change into drier underwear!

I haven't laughed so much in ages!

We must be back into silly season, there is outrage when Muslim Women wear tents in public and now we are trying to fan the flames of prejudice against pubescent boys!
Nothing to do with religion surely? Most boys of that age (and in my school some of the girls too!), would proudly sport their bit of bum fluff on their top lip while they counted the hairs on their chinny, chin, chin.

Surely this isn't news?

It is just a quiet day in the Editors Office.

Last edited by Less; 06-10-2013 at 14:35. Reason: because I can
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 19:09   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

O.K. why are muslims allowed to enter a catholic school then? I passed my 11 plus and was refused entry to A.G.S. cos i was catholic, was told i had to go to Q.E.G.S. in Blackburn, so refused and was sent to Accy Tech. which was only fer what they called "Border-Lines"
jaysay and BERNADETTE like this.
Old 06-10-2013, 19:50   #5
Beacon of light

Cashy, I don't think they can discriminate school entry on grounds of religion the way they did back then.
My question would be...why would muslim parents want to send their boys to a catholic school?
Might it be because they have good ideals and morals taught there?(and because of this, they are a good centre for learning)

There is nothing in the muslim holy book that says these young men must keep their facial hair..it is said that the prophet had a beard and so they are emulating him...fiddle faddle it is just to assert themselves and create publicity for the muslim cause.

I would say to the governors chuck them out and let them find a place in a school which has less strict dress and uniform codes of conduct.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 20:16   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
I passed my 11 plus and was refused entry to A.G.S. cos i was catholic, was told i had to go to Q.E.G.S.
Are you sure you don't mean St. Mary's College?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 20:29   #7
Senior Member+

This debate about beards and moustaches was ongoing at my school back in the day,......... moustaches were banned,........................ but the girls refused to shave them off.
accyman and Greeny like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 20:45   #8
Full Member+

I was wondering why Go to a school that has RC in the title when your Muslim there is going to be problems
BERNADETTE and accyman like this.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 23:26   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
O.K. why are muslims allowed to enter a catholic school then?

because the muslim card is like " Visa " its accepted everywhere

a muslim has no place demanding it be allowed to follow its muslim ways in a catholic school but you cant say that or you are the one at fault.I didnt attend the school in question because im not catholic.

besides arnt there islamic schools people who wish to follow the teachings and rules of islam can attend ?

i wonder how well it would go down if i sent my son to a muslim school and packed his lunch with bacon butties that he chompped down on in the middle of their canteen and how much support he woudl get from the muslim community that he be allowed to continue.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53   #10
JCB

Catholic schools give priority to Catholic children .

If all the Catholic children are catered for and there are still vacancies , then parents who are not Catholics may apply for their children to be admitted according to the school's admission policy .

So you can have atheists , agnostics , Jehovah's Witnesses , Muslims , Jews , Anglicans , Methodists etc. in a Catholic school .

Having said that , all children at a school should be expected to conform to the school's policy regarding dress and appearance , a policy which would have been made clear to the parents when their children were granted admission .
cashman, jaysay and Greeny like this.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Catholic schools give priority to Catholic children .

If all the Catholic children are catered for and there are still vacancies , then parents who are not Catholics may apply for their children to be admitted according to the school's admission policy .

So you can have atheists , agnostics , Jehovah's Witnesses , Muslims , Jews , Anglicans , Methodists etc. in a Catholic school .

Having said that , all children at a school should be expected to conform to the school's policy regarding dress and appearance , a policy which would have been made clear to the parents when their children were granted admission .
In a nutshell
Old 07-10-2013, 12:03   #12
God Member

when we where looking at secondary schools for Reece, his first choice was Our lady and St Johns catholic school in Blackburn.....because we aren't catholic he didn't get in, we looked at getting him baptised catholic when he was young (my mum was catholic as where her parents), only to be told that because neither me nor Shaun where not catholic, he couldn't be baptised, the rules of that church baffle me somewhat....anyone can be christened or have a naming ceremony in any other religion despite their back ground, but not in catholicism...

anyway

14 year olds do grow beards, Reece has been shaving since he was 12, he has on occasion gone into school (before he left) with stubble on his face and been told to make sure he has 'tidied his face up' by the next day, so it isn't a race thing at all, it is a school thing, but of course, the race card will win as always
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13   #13
Beacon of light

spot on Shaz...if these had been white boys it would have caused no furore, but because they are muslim....it is blown out of all proportion and racist card is played yet again.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
spot on Shaz...if these had been white boys it would have caused no furore, but because they are muslim....it is blown out of all proportion and racist card is played yet again.
Its about ruddy time these people were raced back to there countries were thats the norm.
BERNADETTE and umpire like this.
Old 07-10-2013, 13:00   #15
Beacon of light

I agree Cashy. I have no qualms about people coming here, but they need to realise that they are in a foreign country, which they have chosen to adopt.
I have no qualms with them following there own culture in their homes and places of worship, but in public life they must abide by the rules that are in place in schools, shops, banks, courts and places of work.
They cannot do as they please or change the rules to fit themselves,then when pulled up for it play the race/religion card.
If they do not like living here...having the freedom that this country affords them, then they can leave.....and make sure the door doesn't bang them on the bum as the leave.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..