Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2008, 21:43   #46
God Member

Re: Sharia Law Rules OK!

I consider religious education in school time as a waste of that time.
Every person should make decisions about religion in adulthood.
Moral values and good social behaviour should not be linked to any religion.
Church schools are an outdated system which began a couple of centuries ago, when that was the only education available.
Such an education system divides society.
Religious teaching should be seperate from the state system and optional

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2008, 21:46   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Church schools are an outdated system which began a couple of centuries ago, when that was the only education available.
This is surely just a matter of opinion based on observation though, unless of course you have been taught at a religious school any time recently and experienced it?

I gained a lot out of mine and reflect on what I was taught a lot now that I am old enough to appreciate it.

How does one get in touch with their spiritual side when they are younger if they aren't taught about religion? What other subject awakens that path of thought?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 21:48   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Are you saying we should not have church schools, Margaret?
Ask me that question sometime while we are stood in the playground of our childrens church school
Old 16-09-2008, 21:50   #49
God Member

Quote:
I agree that morals and good social behaviour should be taught in all schools and I'm sure they are.

I don't see the problem with church schools though as there are plenty of non church schools to choose from.
Old 16-09-2008, 21:50   #50
Passed away 25-11-09

I would much prefer to see this country follow the example of the USA in not allowing any form of "faith" schools. I really believe that sectarian education is unhealthy, in a world-embracing sense, and that education should be completely separate from religious affinity.

I had a good education at Paddock House, a Convent Grammar School, and I will always be grateful to the nuns (and lay teachers) who gave me such a good grounding in academia. Along with this, though, there was always the Catholic doctrine, constantly reinforced and promoted. It took me nearly 20 years to shake off "Catholic Guilt" and become a laid-back and (I hope) free-thinking individual.
Old 16-09-2008, 21:51   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Ask me that question sometime while we are stood in the playground of our childrens church school
Can I not ask you now?
Old 16-09-2008, 21:53   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I would much prefer to see this country follow the example of the USA in not allowing any form of "faith" schools. I really believe that sectarian education is unhealthy, in a world-embracing sense, and that education should be completely separate from religious affinity.

I had a good education at Paddock House, a Convent Grammar School, and I will always be grateful to the nuns (and lay teachers) who gave me such a good grounding in academia. Along with this, though, there was always the Catholic doctrine, constantly reinforced and promoted. It took me nearly 20 years to shake off "Catholic Guilt" and become a laid-back and (I hope) free-thinking individual.
The catholic schools won't be so intense nowadays though, will they?
Old 16-09-2008, 21:53   #53
God Member

It is only at school that children learn an unbiased view of religion - even at religious schools. In religious schools, religious education is about teaching about all different religions. My two are at a catholic school but they acknowledge other religious ceremonies so that children can learn and then make informed choices when they're older.

Young children learn their fanaticism (in any religion) at home.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 21:53   #54
God Member

I was christened C of E and went to a Methodist primary school and went to Methodist sunday school.
It made me realise how rife religious bigotry is, and I decided that a life without religion was preferable.
I choose to adopt the moral values of the society I was born in and live in.
I do so without the fear of hellfire and brimstone if I don't

Old 16-09-2008, 21:55   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
It is only at school that children learn an unbiased view of religion - even at religious schools. In religious schools, religious education is about teaching about all different religions. My two are at a catholic school but they acknowledge other religious ceremonies so that children can learn and then make informed choices when they're older.

Young children learn their fanaticism (in any religion) at home.
Gayle's right. At a C of E school I learnt about Sikhism, Judaism and Hinduism too.
Old 16-09-2008, 22:03   #56
God Member

Teaching several religions in schools gives children a choice, but instills the idea that a choice should be made.
I compare it to being offered a rotten apple and a mouldy pear - 'which one are you going to eat?' - the option to refuse both doesn't arise.
They should also be advised that opt out is also acceptable.

Last edited by MargaretR; 16-09-2008 at 22:05.
Old 16-09-2008, 22:14   #57
God Member

Quote:
Teaching several religions in schools gives children a choice, but instills the idea that a choice should be made.
I compare it to being offered a rotten apple and a mouldy pear - 'which one are you going to eat?' - the option to refuse both doesn't arise.
My school didn't force religion on anyone though all catholic students were expected to attend mass but it was just a gathering like an assembly really, it didn't teach the strict catholic views nor did it impose having holy communion on anyone if they didn't want to.

My school accepted muslim students though and I know there were other children from different religions who went, for example I recall a rastafarian girl at the school who used to live on my street.

Religious schools generally aren't strict anymore in that sense and you choose to send your child to a religious school anyway so it's simple enough to opt out of it entirely. Why should the choice to go to a religious school be taken away though? I chose to go to my high school even though I could have gone to another non-religious school.

Can children not make religious choices?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 22:17   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Can children not make religious choices?
This implies that religion is neccessary for human survival
....it isn't

PS we would be better off without it

Old 16-09-2008, 22:17   #59
Resting in Peace

Quote:
In any Christian school these days Margaret, very little religion is actually taught ... apart from assembly (if still happening) religious education classes maybe a couple of times per week, the local vicar popping in now and then, certain icons and pictures around the school, and visit to the church now and then, don't really think the religion of any particular christian school is pushed down their necks.

My grandaughter, for instance, attends a Catholic 6th form college in Leeds .. OK .. they only take in about 15% of non catholics, but catholicism has never been pushed down her throat. She is an Atheist and actually taking R.E. in A Levels ... only got a 'C' this year so doing it again to improve her grade. The R.E. teaching covers all social issues, and her feelings and thoughts on being non-religious is never critised at all, in fact welcomed as an alternative view point. They have too high a regard for the quality of the education they supply.

My son, daughter, grandaughter all attended All Saints in Clayton as did my ex .. daughter went to St. Christophers, son to Q.E.G.S., grandaughter Bowland... they are now all atheist, but have high moral standards towards crime and the treatment of other human beings, so their Adulthood brought on their own decisions at the end of the day.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 22:19   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
theres many different types of mathematics may as well give em the choice to opt out of that as well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..