Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2008, 17:39   #196
God Member

Re: Sharia Law Rules OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Though, surely the 'creation' days are in the right order - created planets, sky and moon, plants, fish, animals etc. It's the same process as evolution but put in the story context of days. I think that whoever wrote Genesis did it as a story based on the process of evolution.
Totally agree , seems to me the "ancients" had a lot of knowledge that somehow got lost for a time , and we are just begining to 're-discover' it again
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-09-2008, 17:49   #197
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
But creationists do not believe in evolution, 'God made everything' is their mantra.
May be he did - may be he created evolution.

It's just another way of looking at it but essentially it's the same thing.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 17:51   #198

As a scientist, I have difficulty with that. Muddy puddle for me.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 18:01   #199
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
As a scientist, I have difficulty with that. Muddy puddle for me.

No one can really know for sure what happened and both scientists and creationists absolutely believe that they are right. I just think that scientists and creationists are coming at the same thing but from different angles. Both think they have proof but both need a lot of faith to believe absolutely in their own points of view.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 18:39   #200

You could be right!!! lol!
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 23:47   #201
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
No one can really know for sure what happened and both scientists and creationists absolutely believe that they are right. I just think that scientists and creationists are coming at the same thing but from different angles. Both think they have proof but both need a lot of faith to believe absolutely in their own points of view.

I think you're probably close to it with that. I believe the writers of Genesis and the rest of the Bible did their best to explain what they believed in but were limited in their understanding so could only explain in ways that made sense to them. For instance it's like the Native Americans calling the railway the 'iron horse'. It wasn't a horse but it was the only thing they could relate it to.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 01:54   #202
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
For instance it's like the Native Americans calling the railway the 'iron horse'. It wasn't a horse but it was the only thing they could relate it to.
Thats not a good example - it was just a name they called the train in their own language. Just like the French called potatoes, apples of the earth.
Old 27-09-2008, 02:33   #203
God Member

lol this thread reminds me of one of ricky jervais's little speeches

he read from the bible and i forget the exact order but it went somthing like

god created thea earth etc then said let there be light and on the 7th day he rested

not only did god create all the wonderous things on our planet but according to the bible he did it all in the dark and then created light

deep down i truely hope there is a god so that i can spit in his face before he sends me directly to hell

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 03:03   #204
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Maybe He was trying to surprise Himself when He turned the light on.
Old 27-09-2008, 03:22   #205
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Sharia Law Rules OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I think you're probably close to it with that. I believe the writers of Genesis and the rest of the Bible did their best to explain what they believed in but were limited in their understanding so could only explain in ways that made sense to them. For instance it's like the Native Americans calling the railway the 'iron horse'. It wasn't a horse but it was the only thing they could relate it to.
That is the point.

People believe in what someone else believed in.
Old 27-09-2008, 08:58   #206
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That is the point.

I think they call it natural progression JB.
Old 27-09-2008, 13:40   #207
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think they call it natural progression JB.
Whats progressive about it? Sounds more like natural regression or standing still even.
Old 27-09-2008, 13:49   #208
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Whats progressive about it? Sounds more like natural regression or standing still even.
No Neil, natural progression happens, my mother was a chatholic so am I, my Father was a Rovers supporter so am I, and that insidently is my first religion In Ince we trust
Old 27-09-2008, 15:31   #209
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That is the point.

Everything we experience and learn in life is based on something which others experienced and learned before us. Initially perhaps that's true about religion but it isn't true about faith. Personally I used to look at people who believed what I now believe and sort of envied them but didn't believe they were right, if that makes sense. I didn't base my beliefs on others, not even the Biblical accounts really. I just thought it must be great to be that sure about something. I read as much as I could, and still do. None of it was worth tuppence though until I came to the reality of it for myself. Once I had that personal knowledge and faith it all made sense, but it isn't something you can give to anyone else or convince anyone of by logic, any more so than anyone could ever convince me otherwise now no matter how much they may ridicule.

Accyman, why would you want to go to hell? Seriously, if the day comes and you find out that there really is a heaven and a hell and you have chosen the latter by your own free wil, are you really going to be happy with that choice?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 16:05   #210
God Member

"God created evolution" LOL. Id God did, it wouldn't be your Abrahamic God would it? Or do scriptures mean nothing and you can make up your own interpretation to fit the latest evidence against all the Christian hocus pocus.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..