Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 15:36   #1
TJH

Shop Locally - What A Joke!!!

Well, after the robbery i was advised to get quotes for anything that was stolen. 3 quotes for each item.

The internet is normally the cheapest place to shop, but i like having a proper local supplier who can deal with any warranty issues i might have. So i decided to get 1 internet quote for each item and them the other 2 quotes from local firms.

Screwfix were more than helpful, as would be expected from a large company. I then needed just one more tool shop to give quotes for £2500 of power tools stolen. So i decided to visit the Toolbox, just around the corner from Argos in Accrington. I went in, told the member of staff what had happened (he just managed to keep his eyes open) and then asked if he could quote for the replacement tools - this was his answer "No sorry, its a waste of my time".

Now, there was no one else in the shop, there was no else parked in there car park. It was 3pm friday so not exactly prime sales time.

So, for everyone who wants Accrington to be a nice and busy town, you have one problem, it seems some shop owners are making so much money that they don't need us, the customer.

I drove over to Nelson, where Able Tools are and got a quote for everything within 10 minutes.

Typical of what i think is wrong with Accrington.
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-01-2012, 15:41   #2
God Member

Re: Shop Locally - What A Joke!!!

Unless he's the owner of the shop I think he might be losing his job if this gets out.

Unbelievable!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 15:44   #3
TJH

Strange you should say that!. No he does not own the shop.

Its owned by the chap who owns Whewells timber merchants next door.

My plan is to simply wait until the insurance pays the claim and then ill write to the owner, inform him of what has happened, include a copy of the cheque and then wait for the scream.
Old 01-01-2012, 15:58   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
Well, after the robbery i was advised to get quotes for anything that was stolen. 3 quotes for each item.

The internet is normally the cheapest place to shop, but i like having a proper local supplier who can deal with any warranty issues i might have. So i decided to get 1 internet quote for each item and them the other 2 quotes from local firms.

Screwfix were more than helpful, as would be expected from a large company. I then needed just one more tool shop to give quotes for £2500 of power tools stolen. So i decided to visit the Toolbox, just around the corner from Argos in Accrington. I went in, told the member of staff what had happened (he just managed to keep his eyes open) and then asked if he could quote for the replacement tools - this was his answer "No sorry, its a waste of my time".

Now, there was no one else in the shop, there was no else parked in there car park. It was 3pm friday so not exactly prime sales time.

So, for everyone who wants Accrington to be a nice and busy town, you have one problem, it seems some shop owners are making so much money that they don't need us, the customer.

I drove over to Nelson, where Able Tools are and got a quote for everything within 10 minutes.

Typical of what i think is wrong with Accrington.

I presumed your first quote was from Screwfix in Accrington, in which case one of them was helpful and one wasn't, so how can that be typical of what is wrong with Accrington.
Old 01-01-2012, 16:03   #5
Senior Member+

I deal with whewells/toolbox on a daily basis and find they are always helpful and courteous,and will go out of their way to help you. Anyone can have an off day its just unlucky you seem to have gone in on the off day.
Old 01-01-2012, 16:10   #6
TJH

Thats a very good point. But as The ToolBox is now the only power tool shop within Accrington & the fact it has been there for years. It makes me think why bother to shop within Accrington. I am aware that places such as Jewsons stock power tools and i think there is a Dewalt stockiest now open near ATS. But Jewsons are a builders merchants not a tool shop & i would like to deal with independent companies who are not part of huge chains. I used Screwfix as they are expensive for power tools as a rule and i thought it would allow the Toolbox to come in cheaper on there quotes.
Old 01-01-2012, 16:11   #7
TJH

I've spent £1000's in the toolbox in the past, and yes we can all have bad days, but with the way the economy is at the moment. We can't afford to have off days.
Old 01-01-2012, 16:16   #8

Quote:
I've spent £1000's in the toolbox in the past, and yes we can all have bad days, but with the way the economy is at the moment. We can't afford to have off days.
Retailers should look after their customers, not treat them like they are a waste of their time. They will soon have plenty of time on their hands when they finish up with no customers.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:18   #9
Senior Member+

I also use someone in burnley for my power tools Tool Options the guy who runs it is very helpful and keen on price ask for steve, they also sell hardware screws fixings silicones etc.

Last edited by Mick; 02-01-2012 at 06:13.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 17:19   #10
God Member

Quote:

You're right but MOST retailers are human.

I can understand you are feeling a bit brassed off with what has happened but seems a bit harsh to post about the one bad experience there when you have obviosuly been happy with the service to have spent £1,000's of pounds there.
Old 01-01-2012, 17:39   #11
God Member

I use Whewells and the toolbox fairly regularly, most of what they sell is quality gear at reasonable costs, and never had a problem with the staff in the 8 years or so that I have used them, maybe a one off but inexcusable nonetheless, it wouldnt put me off though, I would just request someone else serve me.
Old 01-01-2012, 18:01   #12
TJH

Thats true we are all human, its not the first example of lack lustre service at the toolbox. But i know it sounds harsh, its not my problem. Plenty of other dealers both on the internet and around the lancashire area. But not so many customers with £2500 of tools which need replacing.
Old 01-01-2012, 18:15   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
So i decided to visit the Toolbox, just around the corner from Argos in Accrington. I went in, told the member of staff what had happened (he just managed to keep his eyes open) and then asked if he could quote for the replacement tools - this was his answer "No sorry, its a waste of my time".

I'll bet neither Gordon or Michael Whewell know about that. If either of them find out somebody will be applying for job seekers allowance.
I've known Gordon since he was a sprog when his father aquired Key Joe's shop in Warner St. Gordon's dad worked at Lang Bridges during the war, worked on a horizontal borer when I first met him.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Neil; 02-01-2012 at 10:53. Reason: fix quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 18:21   #14
TJH

I always thought Whewells were red hot on getting every penny, i used to live just a few door up from the chap who owns the place. Over on Royds Avenue. I think it is a case of having a bad day, the bloke who served me looked depressed before the conversation started and i would also guess he knows he cant beat internet prices and he is only quoting to meet the needs of the insurance company. I find it is getting harder and harder to spend money locally. The big internet companies are so fast and polite. I use Pet Planet for all the dog food etc, its cheaper than it is locally and arrives within 24hrs. Its just reality and the progression of the high street.
Old 01-01-2012, 18:32   #15
God Member

Quote:
The big internet companies are so fast and polite. .

There are more complaints about non-delivery from internet companies than there are complaints about local shops.
Your right, many of us can't compete with internet prices, thats because price comes before service to most people, again it's human conditioning, and they really don't care if it's being run by some tax dodger from his poky little shied in the garden. As long as it's cheap they will buy it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..