Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Hyndburn Borough Council be backing Pakistan in the Kashmir conflict?
Yes they should. 1 2.50%
No they shouldn't. 39 97.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 15:01   #61
God Member

Re: Should Hyndburn be supporting Pakistan in Kashmir?

surely though ken if it has no buisness been discussed in the first place it can be thrown out its not as though it had anything to do with HBC at all.

if someone put a motion forward objecting to america driving on teh opposite side of teh road to us would that be ameded or thrown out?

its a good job there arnt any companies in the area relying on trade from india because if they found out hyndburn were supporting the invasion of their country and abuse of its people they could see fit to go elsewhere to spend their money.

this is one reason why i think the whole situation shoudl have been avoided because it appears that HBC supports teh invasion of india by pakistan and no matter how words are amended thats teh message that has been sent.It isnt for the council to take sides on international matters that even the big boys in national politics avoid like the plague.

our country is allied to both india and pakistan and out of teh two i would say the Indian people give us a better deal and show a lot more loyalty

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 01-03-2012 at 15:07.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2012, 15:04   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I was asked outright on the same day that I came back to the forum after a hiatus. I've given my opinion, although this thread has now changed to getting all hissy about the original wording rather than the motion that was actually passed.

With councillors getting a roasting for something they didn't do, I don't see there's anything left to discuss.
For the first time since you, and your fellow councillors, voted to support the contentious motion, we've had someone, you, who was directly involved, publicly pass comment.

For that we thank you.

That is why the discussion has been carried on.

Without you giving us a new perspective, it wouldn't have.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:05   #63
Common Sense Member

I've said all there is to say on this and we're just going round in circles so that certain members can prove a point. What that point is I don't know.

If you have any further questions, see my previous posts.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:16   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I don't see there's anything left to discuss.

So don't.

If you feel you have nothing further to add to the discussion, that's fine.

It's not hard to do.

It's easy.

Just stop posting.

If others feel they want to carry on, now you've given us your insights, I'm sure they will.

That's what happens here, on li'l ol' Accy Web.

People chat about stuff that's on their mind, and get it off their chests.

It's good to talk.

Old 01-03-2012, 15:17   #65
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Putting up amendments to motions is common practice and a better way of improving things.
How, can backing either side of the Kashmeri, cruelty improve things in Hyndburn.
I abhor the violence, torture & rape that has been carried out by both sides.

As a Citizen of Hyndburn, I do not want my representatives involved in these atrocities in any way at all.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:22   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How, can backing either side of the Kashmeri, cruelty improve things in Hyndburn.
I abhor the violence, torture & rape that has been carried out by both sides.

As a Citizen of Hyndburn, I do not want my representatives involved in these atrocities in any way at all.
As a citizen of Hyndburn i dont want the world thinking i support the invasion of India by Pakistan and i bet neither does the small Indian community in Hynburn but alas HBC spoke globaly on a global issue on our behalf and put all our feet well and truly on one side of the conflict.

mind you we may be able to deny involvement because some websites have said that hyndburn city condems India

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 01-03-2012 at 15:24.
Old 01-03-2012, 15:49   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Because motions don't work like that, you can't just throw something out because you don't agree with it otherwise the ruling group would just dump everything that wasn't in their favour. That's no better than a dictatorship anyway and I wouldn't be in favour no matter who was in control.

Putting up amendments to motions is common practice and a better way of improving things.
Oh i can accept that no problem, But this motion was a General Government Matter, Not a Local Council, in my view, So dumping that particular one would have made good sense to me. Its more a matter of damage limitation in my book.
Old 01-03-2012, 17:52   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I saw the Council minute and was impressed by the way the officers dealt with it.
Ya gynn but they shouldn't have had to deal with it because it was sod all to do with HBC in the first place, they should have forwarded any concerns about this mater to the elected member of parliament, the person who was elected to tackle things of this nature
Old 01-03-2012, 20:53   #69
God Member

maybe this
Old 01-03-2012, 21:14   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
maybe this
they really need to work on their hokey cokey i dont thing they quite graspped the basic concept of it at all in that video and teh words were all wrong too

Old 02-03-2012, 06:55   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya gynn but they shouldn't have had to deal with it because it was sod all to do with HBC in the first place, they should have forwarded any concerns about this mater to the elected member of parliament, the person who was elected to tackle things of this nature
I don't think it's as simple as that, jaysay. Officers would have been accused of overriding the democratic right of any councillor to raise issues he/she feels are important within the community. In this instance, the councillor thought it to be a matter of sufficient concern within his community to raise awareness of the issue at Council, and let's face it, he has succeeded. Our friend Garinda has spent hours researching the web on the topic, so he knows more about it now than he did before.

I was fairly flippant about the subject at first, but when I saw how officers dealt with it I was impressed and felt the Council deserved to be defended on their handling of it all, which I think has been exemplary.

If that makes me a village idiot in the eyes of Garinda, then I think I can live with that!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:16   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Our friend Garinda has spent hours researching the web on the topic, so he knows more about it now than he did before.
Er...no, wrong again.

I haven't 'spent hours researching the topic'.

Unlike the numpties on the council I already knew this isn't a black and white issue, and I was fully aware that there have been reported human rights abues, carried out by both sides in this conflict. India...and Pakistan.

Yes, if in November you thought it wasn't the job of local councils to waste their times on international issues, and a few months later you've changed your mind, because of the way it was handled, to me that shows someone who doesn't stand by their principles, is easily swayed, and is therefore a bit dim.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:57   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems quite possible to me it was supported cos of being afraid of the P.C. brigade, What i mean,is if they went against it, the likelihood is the Racist card would have been played.A very sad state of affairs,if thats the case.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't think it's as simple as that, jaysay. Officers would have been accused of overriding the democratic right of any councillor to raise issues he/she feels are important within the community. In this instance, the councillor thought it to be a matter of sufficient concern within his community to raise awareness of the issue at Council, and let's face it, he has succeeded. Our friend Garinda has spent hours researching the web on the topic, so he knows more about it now than he did before.

I was fairly flippant about the subject at first, but when I saw how officers dealt with it I was impressed and felt the Council deserved to be defended on their handling of it all, which I think has been exemplary.

If that makes me a village idiot in the eyes of Garinda, then I think I can live with that!
Please point out where it says in council regulations or standing orders just where council officers have to concern themselves with things not conected to the running of HBC, in fact things not even conected with this country, I await your answer with great interest
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Please point out where it says in council regulations or standing orders just where council officers have to concern themselves with things not conected to the running of HBC, in fact things not even conected with this country, I await your answer with great interest
The Council Constitution (believe it or not) does not preclude the Council from discussing issues ´not conected to the running of HBC, in fact things not even conected with this country.´ Indeed, I remember sitting at countless Council meetings over the years where issues ´not connected to the running of HBC´were raised, but which members felt warranted discussion.

Officers ´have to concern themselves´ with implementing the Council Constitution, and I see nowhere in the constitution that would have allowed them to tell a councillor they couldn´t raise an issue which the councillor felt was important to the community.

So faced with the thankless task of guiding the Council through a difficult situation, I think they did well.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..