Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 08:33   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Sick note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
My appeal was denied, when we got outside my nice man told me that in his opinion, I would have got the appeal except that I had been too polite!

That's probably why they told me they never wanted to see me again.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2010, 09:06   #77
God Member

This is what the new sick note looks like

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2010/ima...0100137_en_001

I retired early and was on incapacity benefit for a few years.
I had one of those 'medicals' at King St Blackburn.
Beforehand I went to the trouble of obtaining The Disability Rights Handbook.
That point scoring system that was then operating was full of 'traps'
(eg - can you carry a 5lb bag of potaoes? scored nil - 15 points was needed to 'pass')
It was very handy to know which aspects of disability scored highest and which didn't, so that the course of the exam could be directed by you to emphasise them.

I 'briefed' several other people on these points, (if they asked me for advice in advance of those 'medicals'), and all of them 'passed'.

The rules are different now but I have confidence that anyone who buys a Disability Rights Handbook will be making a very sound investment.
Disability Alliance UK (United Kingdom) Home Page

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:24   #78
Resting in Peace

Like Garinda I remember the day I was told I wouldn't work again, I too was devastated and for six months was very depressed, but then I decided to make out of life the best I could. In those days you attended a medical centre every 26 weeks, where you had a full medical. The second time I went it was the same doctor I saw on my first visit, he look at me and said, I've seen you before haven't I, I replied yes the last time I was her, is next statement was soul destroying, he said why are they wasting my time your time and their money keep sending you to see me, you are never going to get better you'll only get worse. That's when you realise life will never be the same again
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Like Garinda I remember the day I was told I wouldn't work again, I too was devastated and for six months was very depressed, but then I decided to make out of life the best I could. In those days you attended a medical centre every 26 weeks, where you had a full medical. The second time I went it was the same doctor I saw on my first visit, he look at me and said, I've seen you before haven't I, I replied yes the last time I was her, is next statement was soul destroying, he said why are they wasting my time your time and their money keep sending you to see me, you are never going to get better you'll only get worse. That's when you realise life will never be the same again
Both you and Gary were young when you were told that, so it must have been devastating.
I had turned 50, and had worked 35 years full time. I heaved a sigh of relief.

When you have spent a large chunk of your life identifying yourself by your occupation, it is like losing your identity.

People who are in work should realise
you are not your occupation so when you are asked 'what do you do?', don't say 'I am a xxxxxx'
...better to say 'I am a wage slave'

Old 07-04-2010, 09:48   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Both you and Gary were young when you were told that, so it must have been devastating.
I had turned 50, and had worked 35 years full time. I heaved a sigh of relief.

When you have spent a large chunk of your life identifying yourself by your occupation, it is like losing your identity.

you are not your occupation so when you are asked 'what do you do?', don't say 'I am a xxxxxx'
I was lucky, in that I did a job I'd spent years at art school training for, and I loved it.

I'm still lucky, very lucky.

Life today is just another chapter in life's book, that I didn't see coming.

Though if the next chapter features a care home, and endless days sat in front of daytime telly, sat in an armchair stinking of pee, I plan to rip out those last few pages.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:02   #81
Common Sense Member

Quote:
No no no! Don't be that cynical!

I'm self employed and work as many hours as the need for sleep will allow. I love it, it gives me purpose, and when I shuffle off the perch in 50 years or so I want to know that I've left the vaguest imprint on the world by trying to make things better every day.

I run two businesses, one in videography and one in landscape gardening. I'm half indoors and half outdoors every week and it's fantastic to be able to see a physical end result after I'm finished in both lines of work.

Being forced to give up work would probably finish me off, I don't know how to do anything else!

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:12   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Being forced to give up work would probably finish me off, I don't know how to do anything else!
Work is a means to an end - income for survival.
If you happen to enjoy it, you are fortunate.
I did too, for most of my career.
Spare a little time in your busy life to plan for retirement activities.
Retirement may arrive earlier than you expect.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:23   #83
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Work is a means to an end - income for survival.
If you happen to enjoy it, you are fortunate.
I did too, for most of my career.
You're right about the means to an end and you're also right about being fortunate to enjoy it. I wake up every day knowing that something fantastic awaits me either in my home office or in the garden of one of my regulars. I have a fantastic wife and a nice little house, life tastes good.

'Retirement' is still one of those words that, whilst hopefully still being a long way off, is close enough to cause discomfort. The bride and I have made good provision for retirement and I do plan to enjoy it but I'm young and full of enthusiasm for everything at the moment so I'm going to enjoy that first.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:26   #84
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I did.

Paid my all pensions etc, and planned to spend my dotage painting in Brittany, drinking wine, and being a lecherous English eccentric.

Now my only hope of artistic release is to become a human brush.

A tool in the next Yves Klein's mit.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:26   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You're right about the means to an end and you're also right about being fortunate to enjoy it. I wake up every day knowing that something fantastic awaits me either in my home office or in the garden of one of my regulars. I have a fantastic wife and a nice little house, life tastes good.

'Retirement' is still one of those words that, whilst hopefully still being a long way off, is close enough to cause discomfort. The bride and I have made good provision for retirement and I do plan to enjoy it but I'm young and full of enthusiasm for everything at the moment so I'm going to enjoy that first.
Sounds like ya got it just right,Ken.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:29   #86
Give, give, give member

My dad planned his retirement at fifty.

Did just that...and was dead at fifty one.

Happily we don't know what's just round the corner, and some things you just can't plan for.

Old 07-04-2010, 14:44   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I'm self employed and work as many hours as the need for sleep will allow. I love it, it gives me purpose, and when I shuffle off the perch in 50 years or so I want to know that I've left the vaguest imprint on the world by trying to make things better every day.

I run two businesses, one in videography and one in landscape gardening. I'm half indoors and half outdoors every week and it's fantastic to be able to see a physical end result after I'm finished in both lines of work.

Believe me Ken it wouldn't finish you off, in time you would come to terms with it and then cut your cloth accordingly, its not easy, especially at first, but believe me you DO get there in the end
Old 07-04-2010, 14:52   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Believe me Ken it wouldn't finish you off, in time you would come to terms with it and then cut your cloth accordingly, its not easy, especially at first, but believe me you DO get there in the end
I agree, you do make the best of it.

I never thought I'd move back up here, but that's been the best thing that's happened to me.

I also never thought I'd pass my time by becoming a semi-professional thorn in the side of those who demand a good prick.

Old 07-04-2010, 14:58   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I agree, you do make the best of it.

I never thought I'd move back up here, but that's been the best thing that's happened to me.

I also never thought I'd pass my time by becoming a semi-professional thorn in the side of those who demand a good prick.

Never heard you called a prick before Grainda
Old 07-04-2010, 15:07   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Never heard you called a prick before Grainda
Sadly there isn't a Pinocchio smiley, with a growing nose.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..