Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2008, 14:11   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: "Silly Cow" Clr Britcliffe

Surely the point here isn't the whys and wherefores of what PB said but the fact that he vehemently denies having said it despite the fact that there are witnesses who heard him say it. He even seems to be claiming that he never uses such terms as they are not in his vocabulary.

Now what concerns me here is that if he can deny saying something which numerous witnesses heard him say then just how trustworthy is he on any other issue? That is my concern. Whatever she may have said to him to provoke such a response is irrelevant because she has not been accused of and subsequently denied having said anything.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2008, 14:18   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The problem is that if the councillors post on some topics they are accountable.

More than once, Graham has been hauled over the coals for controversial things that have been posted on here so I think he's more than a little cautious now.
His he a man or a mouse, if he can't stand up and justify what his government is doing in Westminster, then he's not fit to lead the Labour Group on the council. If he only comes on here and coment on selective issues that satisfy is own ends, then its best if he stays of political subjects altogether.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 15:07   #18

The challenge we face is differentiating between the political and non-political. Almost all of these threads have a political element of national or local significance, be that in the directly applicable abstract sense. Politics is by nature the discussion of how we operate as a community and as a country, what we value and what we consider important - politics exists because we disagree, and is enriched because we are allowed to. The thread on the death penalty, whilst not directly applicable in the UK has political consequences and people could be called to justify or clarify their views should they contribute to the debate.

This is neither a defence nor attack on Mr Jones - I am merely playing Devil's advocate.

The nature of local politics is sometimes seen as petty and petulant where members of all parties seize opportunities to score political points on their opponents. That is the way of politics and it is for people to decide as individuals how to judge their representatives - and the criteria for how they wish to do that.

MikeSz

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 15:17   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the first post tells you what was said.
No it does not. It simply has one side of the argument, what Peter Britcliffe said in response. I want to know what set him off.
Old 16-02-2008, 15:19   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
No it does not. It simply has one side of the argument, what Peter Britcliffe said in response. I want to know what set him off.
that is irrelavant seeing as how britcliffe denies saying it, that makes him a liar in my book, when theres many witnesses that he did.
Old 16-02-2008, 15:22   #21
God Member

He might well be lying if he has denied something that has happened, but I still want to know what provoked it.
Old 16-02-2008, 15:24   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

well if he is,that means how can you believe anything he says?
Old 16-02-2008, 15:26   #23
God Member

Quote:

You mean we're not 'excellent'?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 15:29   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
You mean we're not 'excellent'?
must say i do find it very difficult to get me head round.
Old 16-02-2008, 15:37   #25
God Member

Quote:
Look, you've been missing my point for about five posts now. At this point I'm less interested in whether he's lied or not and more interested in what was said that triggered his response.
Old 16-02-2008, 15:37   #26
God Member

So, the Idiot-in-Chief tells lies. Well, I am surprised. Who would have thought it. Whatever next?
Old 16-02-2008, 15:45   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
So, the Idiot-in-Chief tells lies. Well, I am surprised. Who would have thought it. Whatever next?
Graham Jones doing something useful, maybe
Old 16-02-2008, 15:45   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Look, you've been missing my point for about five posts now. At this point I'm less interested in whether he's lied or not and more interested in what was said that triggered his response.
i get your point completely, what i am saying is it dont really matter.whatever it was it does not justify that response from the Leader of the Council, unless YOU think it does?

Last edited by cashman; 16-02-2008 at 15:50.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 16:41   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Graham Jones doing something useful, maybe
or Greg Pope doing anything, perhaps ? ? ?
Old 16-02-2008, 16:46   #30
God Member

Cashman I think cyfr is trying to find out just what it was that the unfortunate councillor said that got PB so riled. I must admit I am more than a little intrigued myself to discover just how appalling, and/or true, was the thing she said. I think we should be shown a complete transcript so that we can judge for ourselves just how petty and small minded our "dear leader" actually is

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..