Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2006, 23:32   #121
Resting in Peace

Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Just to throw a silly spanner in the debate most of the fun people that I know and love smoke.

Perhaps their habit shows a devil may care attitude that appeals.

Kate you're an exeption to the rule that smoking ages you. You look drop dead gorgeous.
Eeeeeew .. see ya' tomorrow honey.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2006, 23:33   #122
I am Banned

I think life is for living & even if you lived in a bubble of perfect conditions re health wise then the enevitable is still going to happen though theres only one thing thats guarantteed in life is death - unfortunately!

Something i learned the hard way that my life would of been cut short in my early twenties thanks to a drunken psychomaniac - smoke least of my concerns & result! But lucky to survive to tell the tale moral is life's too short enjoy it while you can!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:36   #123

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Things need putting in perspective here..

a) Smoking is bad for everyone, smoker and non-smoker
b) Smoking therefore needs removing from society
c) Some smokers are addicted and will never stop
d) Banning smoking will create unemployment and cause more crime due to the lucrative business of supplying addicts

Solution....
a) make it extremely difficult for people to become addicts and not cause unemployment to rise too much

How to do this..

a) health warnings, harsh tv advertising, education etc..turn the smokers into modern day lepers...10% give up due to peer pressure
b) reduce the possible number of places that people can smoke..10% give up because they dont like freezing to death stood outside the workplace in winter
c) tax the crap out of smokers..20% pack it in because of costs
d) as the majority of the smoking population ages, they begin to see the effects of smoking on their own friends, family etc.. another 10% manage to get on the wagon because of fear
e) due to the above gradual reductions in smokers, workers in the cigarette industry are laid off in 10% increments, thus not causing unemployment figures to rise too sharply
f) the pro smoking lobby is now not as strong, the tobacco industry begins to lose money and cant spend as much hiding the fact that they are placing needless EXTREMELY harmful and UNNECESSARY addictive additives in each cigarette..another 10% give up when they realise they are smoking cyanide!
g) smoking is banned in pubs..there is an outcry..BUT..the majority do not smoke anymore..the smoker is a leper..he/she is also over 40 and does not spend as much money or time in this pub...no real problems are caused by this ban...another 5% give up because nobody else seems to be smoking around them
h) time now to put in even more stringent anti smoking laws (the point we are now at)

Whine all you want about civil liberties, muddy the waters by talking about vehicle pollution, alcoholics, drug users etc... Fact is, smoking is bad for EVERYONE!

A friend of mine told me that in South Africa you can be fined for smoking in a car that has a child in it.
20 years ago...people would have said that 'My God! What an infringement on civil liberties, can't even smoke in your own car!'
Today people (even smokers) will say 'quite right too, you should never smoke in an enclosed space with children'
20 years from now some pensioner will say 'I remember when I used to have a fag at the bus stop on my way to work' and others will express dismay at them and say 'You actually used to smoke near others??????? I'd have smacked you in the mouth for threatening my life like that!''

You want to smoke in the privacy of your own home, without causing distress to anyone else..go right ahead, I'll fight for your right

And for every 70 year old smoker currently above ground there are 10 below because of a smoking related disease.
Old 23-06-2006, 23:37   #124
Senior Member+

Well said Katex. It's time this thread went to thread heaven as everytime I look at it I light up another ciggie! Just for the sheer hell of it, lol.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:38   #125
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
Well said Katex. It's time this thread went to thread heaven as everytime I look at it I light up another ciggie! Just for the sheer hell of it, lol.
Hee hee me too, gotta give you karma for that cos it made me smile... and then lit up another ciggie

EDIT Damn just tried june and unfortunately I have been too generous with my karma over past 24 hours... but I will do it and I give you permission to remind me if I forget

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!

Last edited by harwood red; 23-06-2006 at 23:41.
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:45   #126
I am Banned

Would be ok if it was as simple as that Guiness.

Mmm if they banned it outright or even majority it would go underground as are hard drugs so therefore criminals profit rather than Mr Brown, fags/baccy are heavily taxed probably the most taxed in Europe - hence the duty abuse there.

I very much doubt there will be ever no smokers - ban it too far & you create a tabboo to our youngsters certainly teens to break anyway in rebellion so that wont change & the next generation of addictees!

Last edited by accymel; 23-06-2006 at 23:48.
Old 23-06-2006, 23:46   #127
Resting in Peace

Just curious to know how Guinness put in that thread so quick, must have it on file ready to fire .. again just endorses my point of the hatred some people feel towards another human being re. something they don't agree with. Fanatical or what
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:50   #128
I am Banned

The ones that annoy me the most are social smokers, ie dont smoke normally but soon as they drink they have to have a fag best of it is they cadge it & dont actually buy them my x sis in law was like that best of it were she'd always moan about fag smell & smoking .. then do something so hyprocritical
Old 23-06-2006, 23:52   #129
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
The ones that annoy me the most are social smokers, ie dont smoke normally but soon as they drink they have to have a fag best of it is they cadge it & dont actually buy them my x sis in law was like that best of it were she'd always moan about fag smell & smoking .. then do something so hyprocritical
Social smoker?

She'll be tabbin' on forty a day now.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:55   #130
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Social smoker?

She'll be tabbin' on forty a day now.
Erm if she takes the family line of alcohol abuse then could well be LOL
Old 23-06-2006, 23:55   #131
God Member

I was thinking that kate, where did you copy that from guiness?

And yes mel, I think it would, I think I've got the right to not have to breath smoke, but I don't agree with an outright ban.
I think the amount of people smoking will decline over the years, it's nowhere near as acceptable socially as it once was. Therefor less and less people will take it up, but you'll never get a total ban and no one smoking
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:58   #132
I am Banned

mmmm you've got the right to not breathe in direct smoke but you dont have it when whats in the atmosphere is unknown how are you so sure the air we breathe is fine!

Blooming heck even choccy had to be removed due to scare so nothing is safe!!
Old 24-06-2006, 00:03   #133
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

fanatical,sanctamonious,call it what you will the fact remains cashy is lighting up.
Old 24-06-2006, 00:03   #134

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I was thinking that kate, where did you copy that from guiness?
Whats up? I make one post that encapsulates everything you have been trying to say in the last 8 pages (but couldnt find the words) and suddenly I'm a plagiarist?
Old 24-06-2006, 00:06   #135
Give, give, give member

Plagiarist?

Is that a Frenchy that draws patterns in the sand?

See smokers funny....others not so.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..