Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2006, 15:02   #61
I am Banned

Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

Well point out for fair balance & realism into thread Lettie
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2006, 15:11   #62
God Member

Quote:
Ethnic minorities, women, elderly, disabled, homosexual people have all stood up and demanded their rights... Is it against the human rights act to be marginalised because you smoke????? I think it probably is in this current climate.
yes but how many of those are self inflicted? only one and thats smoking, you have no rights because it is self inflicted, it your choice if you smoke or not, your choice if you break the habbit. To compare that to someone in a wheel chair fighting for their rights is wrong.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 15:13   #63
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
yes but how many of those are self inflicted? only one and thats smoking, you have no rights because it is self inflicted, it your choice if you smoke or not, your choice if you break the habbit. To compare that to someone in a wheel chair fighting for their rights is wrong.
Your comparission is invalid hatter, alcholics get treated or those in binge drinking sessions do, drug addicts that do overdose get treated ???............so isnt that also self inflicted???? So why the sole attack on smokers for then?
Old 22-06-2006, 15:17   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
What is must be like to be holier than thou!!!

Actually hatter smokers do most of the waiting & going out for their smoke in fact while non smokers are cushty, likes of workplace, public transport, anywhere where smoking is not permitted - they even have to smoke in all weathers being outcasts as it is, but ooo table turns in a pub then its bad, again unfair as we do respect non smokers more than they respect us.
and so you should. I'm not doing anything but breathing, your the ones doing something, getting the pleasure from it. So why should I ever have to put up with an aspect of it that I don't want to.
when it comes to pubs even with non smoking areas we give in and put up with your smoke so that you can smoke, because you can't go without for an hour. If that wasn't true, why is it that people always end up in the smoking section and not the non smoking section. Why don't you respect our wishes and say it's ok we'll go in the no smoking section, we can wait for a fag.
Old 22-06-2006, 15:19   #65
I am Banned

Quote:
and so you should. I'm not doing anything but breathing, your the ones doing something, getting the pleasure from it. So why should I ever have to put up with an aspect of it that I don't want to.
when it comes to pubs even with non smoking areas we give in and put up with your smoke so that you can smoke, because you can't go without for an hour. If that wasn't true, why is it that people always end up in the smoking section and not the non smoking section. Why don't you respect our wishes and say it's ok we'll go in the no smoking section, we can wait for a fag.
WELL dont go into the smoking section then if it bothers you that much you have the choice in fact more than us & besides you aint breathing in my smoke cos im in my own place not in yours!!
Old 22-06-2006, 15:24   #66
God Member

Quote:
Like other minority groups, smokers will have to fight for their rights. Ethnic minorities, women, elderly, disabled, homosexual people have all stood up and demanded their rights... Is it against the human rights act to be marginalised because you smoke????? I think it probably is in this current climate.
it's not flawed because they aren't on letties list.

plus alcholism is an abuse of a legal product
drugs are an illegal product
cigarettes are a legal product that with normal use can cause cancer etc and it now says so on the packet, therefore if you carry on, why should you expect treatment for a self inflicted illness. if you gave up now, it would be different but your not going to , infact your arguing reasons why you shouldn't.
Not treating you would be hipocritical if taxes were still collected of course, in fact the very fact that they are still available is, if they do in fact cause cancer.
As for the drugs, let em all die for all I care. most of em are chavs anyway.
Old 22-06-2006, 15:29   #67
I am Banned

Quote:
it's not flawed because they aren't on letties list.

plus alcholism is an abuse of a legal product
drugs are an illegal product
cigarettes are a legal product that with normal use can cause cancer etc and it now says so on the packet, therefore if you carry on, why should you expect treatment for a self inflicted illness. if you gave up now, it would be different but your not going to , infact your arguing reasons why you shouldn't.
Not treating you would be hipocritical if taxes were still collected of course, in fact the very fact that they are still available is, if they do in fact cause cancer.
As for the drugs, let em all die for all I care. most of em are chavs anyway.
What was all that load of tosh!!! Notice you aint saying that people who like a good p*ss up should be refused & banned, so you must like a bevvy then.
Old 22-06-2006, 15:39   #68
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

Do you ever read what you have written before posting it Madhatter?

Public transport – environment friendly? How do you work that out? Most busses are powered by a Diesel engine that produces exhaust fumes.
Quote:
cigarettes are a legal product that with normal use can cause cancer etc and it now says so on the packet,
Then in the same paragraph you go on to state:
Quote:
if they do in fact cause cancer.
Make up your mind!

Drink is a very much alive argument if not quite for this thread. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country alone with even more dead and buried who rue the day that alcohol was discovered.

What a pity that some people do not have the courage to put their name to comments (Shut up moaning on again.) made in the Karma thing on this thread. Is the culprit now man or woman enough to put their name to the comment? I won’t be holding my breath.

As soon as the match finishes I'm off for a Kentucky.
Old 22-06-2006, 15:47   #69
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Actually Madhatter, you could not be more wrong....... You may remember a scientific breakthrough which hit the news 2 or 3 years ago. Addictions are genetically inherited conditions..

Scientists identified a gene which explains why some people develop addictions, whether that be to tobacco, alcohol, drugs, sex, gambling, shopping, caffeine or chocolate, the gene is part of an addictive personality and is inherited from parents.... It is therefore an illness in itself and cannot be helped..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..

Last edited by lettie; 22-06-2006 at 17:19.
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 16:25   #70
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Your comparission is invalid hatter, alcholics get treated or those in binge drinking sessions do, drug addicts that do overdose get treated ???............so isnt that also self inflicted???? So why the sole attack on smokers for then?
alcholics get classed as disabled , probably coz their too drunk to walk

they also get a very lot more money than say somone witha genuine disability in a wheelchair

the govenments answer to helping an alcholic is to give them more money to buy more alchol

how about giving them sod all money so that they cant afford to drink and if they steal to feed their habbit lock them up where there is no alchol

same could go for drug addicts but i would rather they were given one huge overdose as their farewell ride to the stars

drug addicts dont pay tax on their drugs and in nearly all cases dont contribute to national insurance or tax because they are too high to work so they shouldnt be treated
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 16:47   #71
Give, give, give member

I've recently changed to smoking menthol cigarettes.

It perfumes the environment around me with the smells of an Alpine meadow and also stops Chav from nicking them.

Ok, I'm kidding myself they still stink but at least the Chavster still won't have one when offered.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 16:53   #72
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

It perfumes the environment around me with the smells of an Alpine meadow and also stops Chav from nicking them.

Ok, I'm kidding myself they still stink but at least the Chavster still won't have one when offered.
PMSL!!!! one way to ensure you keep your stash chav free
Old 22-06-2006, 16:54   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Why don't you just chew 'em instead?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 17:18   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Do you ever read what you have written before posting it Madhatter?

Public transport – environment friendly? How do you work that out? Most busses are powered by a Diesel engine that produces exhaust fumes.
Then in the same paragraph you go on to state:
Make up your mind!

Drink is a very much alive argument if not quite for this thread. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country alone with even more dead and buried who rue the day that alcohol was discovered.

What a pity that some people do not have the courage to put their name to comments (Shut up moaning on again.) made in the Karma thing on this thread. Is the culprit now man or woman enough to put their name to the comment? I won’t be holding my breath.

As soon as the match finishes I'm off for a Kentucky.
I have made my my up, I said CAN cause cancer and if they do in fact cause cancer. we all know they can, but if they do depends on the person and circumstances.
Old 22-06-2006, 17:27   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Here we go again. The smoker is being targeted once more with moves afoot to ban smoking in the open air, like at bus stops, doorways etc. Crikey the smoking ban in enclosed spaces hasn’t even come into force in England yet.

Some *!!*!!* on the Jeremy Vine show this morning had the gall to suggest that a doorway was an enclosed space or even bus shelters that do not have four sides and a roof. What planet is that guy living on?

The loud mouthed, self opinionated and utterly selfish non smokers are pushing for an absolute and total smoking ban altogether and want to dictate what I do in my home, my garden (such as it is) or in my car. Then they jump in their noxious, fumes spraying vehicles and drive off in a sanctimonious huff leaving me having to breathe in the fumes.

Of course it is perfectly OK to stand at a bus stop and have disgusting and deadly diesel fumes pumped straight into your face and no one, but no one objects.

I have a fag in my mouth whilst I am typing this. Who is going to be the first to object?

I think that I had better stop before the forum police take me away.

Hear Hear. I quite agree with you. And I am an ex smoker! This earth, such as it is, belongs to us all, we are not here very long. We should enjoy it in whatever way we choose, and not be dictated to by anyone. :engsmil:
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..