Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 12:41   #16
I am Banned

Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Some things are just in the hands of GOD regardless
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2005, 12:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Oh pick on the smokers again!!! personally i think alcholic abuse is a worse form of neglect n largely ignored but its more socially acceptable for big drinkers than smokers these days, n tbh SS's do f-all about that nevermind investigating smokers but if they did then less resource is avail where its needed like in real cases of child abuse that end in death by lack of intervention.

So can we get things in perspective
Accystanmac? are you on drugs as well as smoking near kids???? where on earth in this post does Gayle "pick on smokers" she mearly points out her oppinion about smoking near CHILDREN!!! How many kids do you know that have fallen ill through passive drinking (after being born i must add)?????? nobody mentioned any other dangers to kids or other humans from any other acts whatsoever!!!! Smoking is one adults choice and should not be thrust upon other people, i hate it, but i go in pubs where people smoke by choice. Poor kids in cars don't have a say, therefore should not be put through it!!! I spent many a summer holiday travelling in the car with my parents with my top over my head because of the horible fumes and i absolutely refuse to let anyone smoke in my car when my daugters in for that very reason. I know that when she is at home with her mum she's subject to it, but there's no chance she's going to suffer in my care!!! its called respecting others i think!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 13:02   #18
I am Banned

Wingy i resent that comment thankyou im not on any drugs of any kind prescription or non oh but smoking yeh i do n so do a lot of ppl....& IM MEARELY POINTIN OUT MY OPINION too there are 2 sides to every coin y'know. I dont tell u how to bring yr kids up so dont tell me how to bring mine up n i dont drive i use public transport which is non smoking so yeh i respect that.
Old 05-09-2005, 13:07   #19

when did i tell you how to bring up you children???
just have another read!!!!

People work for money!
Old 05-09-2005, 13:09   #20
I am Banned

It how u put yr mail across wingy its giving that impression
Old 05-09-2005, 13:16   #21

Utter rubish!! how on earth am i supposed to know from your post that you even have children???? i never mentioned what you do with yours or others!! You where quick to be on Gayles case without her "picking on smokers" so if your going to do it expect others to do it also!!
IMO

People work for money!
Old 05-09-2005, 13:16   #22
I am Banned

Look if im out n go to someones house i respect the householder n their house/family if its non smoking or no smoking area then i respect it i wouldn't dare to light up i will wait or go somewhere acceptable to do it. So i do have respect!
Old 05-09-2005, 13:21   #23
I am Banned

Erm i think u should read yrs too u were so quick to judge me that going to the point of asking if i was on drugs????? But isn't everyone entitled to a point of view Wingy as u are, im mearely staing that in Gayles posts it infers that smoking kills kids so who is that aimed at wingy?....erm smokers aint it n as with any debate is it right that both should be put across

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINGY
Utter rubish!! how on earth am i supposed to know from your post that you even have children???? i never mentioned what you do with yours or others!! You where quick to be on Gayles case without her "picking on smokers" so if your going to do it expect others to do it also!!
IMO
Old 05-09-2005, 14:20   #24
God Member

I didn't mean to 'infer' that smoking near kids kills them, I meant to say it point blank - SMOKING NEAR KIDS KILLS

This quote below is from the NHS.

Over half (54%) of the babies and young children from poorer backgrounds are exposed to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS), compared to 18% of those from professional backgrounds. This exposure, known as passive smoking, causes serious respiratory illness and asthma attacks, sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS, or cot death) and middle ear disease, including "glue ear", in children.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 14:21   #25
God Member

Plus, I'm not getting at smokers per se - if you want to smoke that's fine by me - just don't do it in a confined space where kids are, do they want to smoke?

Old 05-09-2005, 14:28   #26
I am Banned

Same could be said for children playing nr busy rds!!!! Actually is the biggest killer of children n young teens!!!!

Im not arguing that smoking aint harmful to health im arguing u use the word KILL n im sayin there are other just as dangerous things that kill n can harm health too but as im the plague of death im expected to be shot down in this thread no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
I didn't mean to 'infer' that smoking near kids kills them, I meant to say it point blank - SMOKING NEAR KIDS KILLS

This quote below is from the NHS.

Over half (54%) of the babies and young children from poorer backgrounds are exposed to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS), compared to 18% of those from professional backgrounds. This exposure, known as passive smoking, causes serious respiratory illness and asthma attacks, sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS, or cot death) and middle ear disease, including "glue ear", in children.
Old 05-09-2005, 14:31   #27
God Member

I'm not arguing with you about other causes of death, I think you're missing the point. Yes there might be bigger killers but that still doesn't make it right.

Old 05-09-2005, 14:35   #28
I am Banned

SO what exactly are u saying Gayle, what point are u hoping to gain??? Cos u is singling smokers out for being child killers for smoking nr them n yet nothing about those who drink n drive or drive illegally who can kill instantly or have the potential to. There are smoke free areas in place well the one in the arndales a joke with that cafe but even still repect the area so what is the problem??

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you about other causes of death, I think you're missing the point. Yes there might be bigger killers but that still doesn't make it right.
Old 05-09-2005, 14:47   #29
God Member

All right, so if I started a thread that said drink drivers kill people you'd be happy would you? If you'd read things correctly you'd know that I'm not saying that smokers are responsible for every single child death in the country, of course they're not, but they are responsible for some and that could be stopped.

So the point is that smoking in a confined space, near children, can seriously damage the health of those children. So, yes I am getting at smokers - stop being so selfish.

Old 05-09-2005, 15:07   #30
I am Banned

Well 2 wrongs dont make a right Gayle n i think u have a baised opinion yrself, drink drivers dont make me happy but if u are gonna make singling out suggestions then other area's of dangerous incidents cannot be overlooked either. This thread is biased against smokers because we are socially soft targets n its ok to blame smokers but u is all quite happy to benefit the tax from it, if smoking was sooo bad then the country wouldn't allow tobacco products to be sold, the gov makes a huge fat wad from it n thats why they wont do anything serious about it other than provide non smoking areas, health warnings n limited advertising of the products - oh n stop contraband getting thro.

Im not selfish why im i???? i respect non smokers n area's n its tunnel vision to get at smokers only when other factual suggestions are overlooked to gain yr point in fact ignorant! I have responsiblity but not for everyone. Cheap shot at a debatable thread.

Quote:
All right, so if I started a thread that said drink drivers kill people you'd be happy would you? If you'd read things correctly you'd know that I'm not saying that smokers are responsible for every single child death in the country, of course they're not, but they are responsible for some and that could be stopped.

So the point is that smoking in a confined space, near children, can seriously damage the health of those children. So, yes I am getting at smokers - stop being so selfish.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..