Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 18:10   #76

Re: so its election day again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I was thinking more about the council elections..as for the BNP getting 2 Euro MP's to my mind that means sod all!
Unfortunately it does mean a great deal that the BNP gained 2 Euro MEP's because it enables them to have access to the office staff, funding etc and publicity to further their aims.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-06-2009, 18:27   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Unfortunately it does mean a great deal that the BNP gained 2 Euro MEP's because it enables them to have access to the office staff, funding etc and publicity to further their aims.
I'll admit I was not thinking about the funds they will gain...I meant two Euro MP's won't make much difference in the policy making of the European Union.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:24   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya, but immigrants don't like cleaning toilets blazey
Nice one .... good to see that you young'uns have a sense of humour
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:31   #79
God Member

Just read an article in the local rag to the effect that in the EU elections there seems to have been as shift to the right!!!!! Don't people on that side of the pond realize that it is right-wing, laissez faire style economics which got us into this mess in the first place? While sensible voters over here, both in Canada and the US, are moving to the centre-left to solve the crisis, Europeans seem to be heading in the other, and I think wrong, direction ... some would argue that govt. intervention in private companies is wrong .... but I feel comfortable with the fact that the govts. of the US, Canada, and Ontario are pumping in billions of bucks to stabilize, and, I hope save the automotive sector which, as any economist will tell you, is about much more than just making cars.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:36   #80

Quote:
I'll admit I was not thinking about the funds they will gain...I meant two Euro MP's won't make much difference in the policy making of the European Union.
MEP's from other extreme right wing parties have bene elected from the Netherlands, Hungary and Romania.
BBC - Mark Mardell's Euroblog
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 19:42   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just read an article in the local rag to the effect that in the EU elections there seems to have been as shift to the right!!!!! Don't people on that side of the pond realize that it is right-wing, laissez faire style economics which got us into this mess in the first place? While sensible voters over here, both in Canada and the US, are moving to the centre-left to solve the crisis, Europeans seem to be heading in the other, and I think wrong, direction ... some would argue that govt. intervention in private companies is wrong .... but I feel comfortable with the fact that the govts. of the US, Canada, and Ontario are pumping in billions of bucks to stabilize, and, I hope save the automotive sector which, as any economist will tell you, is about much more than just making cars.
No doubt at all that the center left in Europe is being blamed for the economic situation... I agree with you about intervention..if this Government had done nothing to bail out the banks and let the man in the street lose any money they had in those banks there would have been chaos, and I mean real aggro...there was no alternative as far as I can see.
Old 08-06-2009, 19:46   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
MEP's from other extreme right wing parties have bene elected from the Netherlands, Hungary and Romania.
BBC - Mark Mardell's Euroblog
well it all seems strange to me...far right extremists from this country want rid off Romanians and Hungarians...who do the extremists in Romania want rid of?
Old 08-06-2009, 19:57   #83
God Member

More Romanians!
Old 08-06-2009, 20:33   #84
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
as for the BNP getting 2 Euro MP's to my mind that means sod all!
So why are some accyweb members getting all flustered whenever the BNP are mentioned, if you don't think they are a problem do like the main parties do with the invasion of immigrants and ignore them.

Had to laugh today when an asian lad said he voted for the BNP to get rid of all the european scum then his brothers could get jobs, says a lot that.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:36   #85
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
far right extremists from this country want rid off Romanians and Hungarians
Are you saying you being a soft lefty want another load of job, house, schools, hospitals, benefits stealing gypos to invade our already overcrowded land?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 20:52   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
So why are some accyweb members getting all flustered whenever the BNP are mentioned, if you don't think they are a problem do like the main parties do with the invasion of immigrants and ignore them.

Had to laugh today when an asian lad said he voted for the BNP to get rid of all the european scum then his brothers could get jobs, says a lot that.
it says to me he is either lying or an idiot...then again a west indian bloke that came here in the 60's told me a couple of weeks ago that he might vote BNP...his reasoning was that they no longer target black people but now target muslims, who he regards as a threat...just goes to show how the BNP have managed to fool a few into thinking they are good for Britain when the real aim is to divide this country.
Old 08-06-2009, 20:54   #87
God Member

its already divided thatcher made sure of that....
Old 08-06-2009, 20:58   #88
God Member

Everybody knows that immigration control must improve in order to keep British people in work in the extremely tough economic times, and of course to prevent wrongful claiming of British public money for citizens of foreign countries.

People need to know that BNP are not the answer to any problems anywhere.

I don't think that the majority of voters for the racist party are racist at all. They want a change in rules and practice for all the right reasons. It's up to the other parties to make more public the utter atrocities that the Nazi Party believe in and support. The other parties also need to make clear their policies and stick to them.

I'm considering joining some sort of political organisation where I can making my feelings known and make action with them. I've never been politically inclined before, and I still do not support any particular party, but (as cmonstanley pointed out in another thread) when the country is in such a sorry state it's time to use any motivation that's left rattling around for positive change.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 21:46   #89
God Member

I think a lot of non-racist persons voted for the BNP because Labour have failed them so badly. A lot of the BNP's left wing policies appeal to those disillusioned by the Labour party when combined with the BNP's new media approach in which they attempt not to come across with racism as their foremost policy. For example they have sidelined the repatriation of non-English in favour of a 'we're full; those that are here legally can stay, we just don't want any more'. Dropping the overt racism appears to have been doing them some good electorally compared with the past.

The only way to defeat the BNP is to point out the flaws in their policies and defeat them in debate. Simply calling them racists or denying them oxygen only plays into their hands.
Old 08-06-2009, 21:56   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Are you saying you being a soft lefty want another load of job, house, schools, hospitals, benefits stealing gypos to invade our already overcrowded land?
eh? were do you get that from?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..