Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2013, 22:17   #46

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: someone best mention it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No, I didn't expect anything different......I might have done once of a day, but I have learned that perhaps my expectations are the problem...they are too high.
I foolishly believed that people would have similar integrity to myself.........how expensive are the lessons in life.(sigh)
Hmm..integrity...

Watched how all the labour councillors in minority used this board to bitch and whine when out of power, and ran for the hills when in power.

They posted in thread after thread about how the town centre, market hall, bus station, arndale had been ruined...yet not one single Labour councillor has attempted to justify the current state of affairs..not one!!!!

So you can only extrapolate the following...those Labour councillors that used to post are either cowards, liars, gagged or unable to construe a justifiable argument......or all of the above!
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 25-01-2013, 23:04   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
it depends what people want britain to be in the world,a little back water country with no trade agreements and constant red tape for exporters.this is a policy of david cameron i agree with. we should renegotiate not leave.we need every chance and help to get growth going again.i do think human rights bill should be changed to the rights of the victim not the criminal.workers rights should be on a different bill.
You jocks can please yourselves when you drop the golden tit from London, you keep in Europe, but of course your free prescriptions will go free university place will go, free care for the elderly will go, free hospital parking will go, more power to Salmons elbow I say, build Hadrian's Wall 10 feet tall and man the borders, big sign up no dog stabbers allowed
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 23:51   #48
God Member

go and help that guy with the con club he needs it. dave c is on the bandwagon lol
Old 26-01-2013, 09:11   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
go and help that guy with the con club he needs it. dave c is on the bandwagon lol
Ah the truth hurts does it
Old 27-01-2013, 02:27   #50
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Hmm..integrity...

Watched how all the labour councillors in minority used this board to bitch and whine when out of power, and ran for the hills when in power.

They posted in thread after thread about how the town centre, market hall, bus station, arndale had been ruined...yet not one single Labour councillor has attempted to justify the current state of affairs..not one!!!!

So you can only extrapolate the following...those Labour councillors that used to post are either cowards, liars, gagged or unable to construe a justifiable argument......or all of the above!
And how now the Tories are in a minority they are not on here using the board to moan about those in power - they use the Observer instead
Old 27-01-2013, 09:26   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Hmm..integrity...

They're good at moaning but come up short on doing Guinness, at all levels, remember when in opposition how Mossy came on here every day and asked why Tory councillors didn't come on here, were they scared of facing questions, seems its now turned full circle, their take on the bus station would be interesting HELLO IS ANYBODY THERE
Old 27-01-2013, 14:50   #52
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Hmm..integrity...

I'm going to correct you on that, Guinness. We have never slagged off the town centre, etc. and have gone on record saying how good the efforts were to restore the Market Hall, talking down the town doesn't help anyone, regardless of the administration.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me for here. I've steered clear of Accyweb for quite some time purely because the answers I gave to questions once Labour got control of HBC stopped being believed. It's not a great use of my time finding answers for 30 or so regular posters who are convinced that all of a sudden I am part of some grand HBC conspiracy. I can only tell people what is actually happening, to address any group of residents with false hope or cure-all answers would be of no help to anyone.

I have said several times before that I am all in favour of an EU referendum provided that the Great British public are presented with a full set of impartial facts detailing the pros and cons. My gut feeling is that Mr Cameron is dangling the carrot of a referendum sometime within the next parliament if the Conservatives get control but that parliament lasts until 2020. Give us a specific year, Prime Minister?

UKIP's policies aren't exactly robust but they've certainly rattled the cages of the main parties.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 15:17   #53
Beacon of light

The offer of a referendum by DC is a myth.......it is a ploy to gain votes.......and we have seen that before...it is just a sop to public opinion. DC has never ever said he can see the UK out of the EU...or that he wants us out of the EU...in fact quite the opposite. He has frequently said that he sees the UK in Europe.
And don't you think that weakens his bargaining power with the EU(not that I think any of the current set up have the collective brains to get us out, but that is beside the point).......No wonder Angela Merkel says she is willing to consider any proposals put forward(with regard to repatriation of powers)...she knows it will come to nothing because it will be written in such convoluted language that even a philadelphia lawyer would be tied in knots.

I feel so jaundiced about politics...so cynical and distrustful. It is going to take some kind of miracle for me to believe any of the parties.

It just seems that we have no power over our future. The power of the ballot box is impotent, if those you elect do not take seriously the concerns of the electorate.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 15:59   #54

Dodgy Dave and his carrot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 485905_1699459663526340_849837582_n.jpg (26.6 KB, 10 views)
cashman and Ken Moss like this.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 17:46   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I'm going to correct you on that, Guinness. We have never slagged off the town centre, etc. and have gone on record saying how good the efforts were to restore the Market Hall, talking down the town doesn't help anyone, regardless of the administration.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me for here. I've steered clear of Accyweb for quite some time purely because the answers I gave to questions once Labour got control of HBC stopped being believed. It's not a great use of my time finding answers for 30 or so regular posters who are convinced that all of a sudden I am part of some grand HBC conspiracy. I can only tell people what is actually happening, to address any group of residents with false hope or cure-all answers would be of no help to anyone.

I have said several times before that I am all in favour of an EU referendum provided that the Great British public are presented with a full set of impartial facts detailing the pros and cons. My gut feeling is that Mr Cameron is dangling the carrot of a referendum sometime within the next parliament if the Conservatives get control but that parliament lasts until 2020. Give us a specific year, Prime Minister?

UKIP's policies aren't exactly robust but they've certainly rattled the cages of the main parties.
Nice to see your okay Ken, I heard you'd joined a monastery and took the vow of silence, must only have been a ugly rumour, mind you that rings a bell too
Old 27-01-2013, 19:10   #56

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Didn't say anything about 'slagging off', I used the term 'bitch and whine' which you and a couple of other Labour councillors did quite often. Actually in the main the whines were quite correct, but that is not the point I was making.

Thing is, it's very easy to attack those in power when you are not in a position of power (do it quite regular myself ), but you and the others have been conspicuous by your absence on all community related threads since gaining power. The heat is now on, and you and your party are staying out of the kitchen.

It's a poor excuse for a politician, that you are staying clear because you are not being believed, if that happened in Parliament nobody would ever attend. Don't think a single person on this forum is naive enough to believe in 'cure-alls' but they do tend to believe in debate and counter argument.

Thanks for biting back though
Old 27-01-2013, 19:45   #57
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Didn't say anything about 'slagging off', I used the term 'bitch and whine' which you and a couple of other Labour councillors did quite often. Actually in the main the whines were quite correct, but that is not the point I was making.

Thing is, it's very easy to attack those in power when you are not in a position of power (do it quite regular myself ), but you and the others have been conspicuous by your absence on all community related threads since gaining power. The heat is now on, and you and your party are staying out of the kitchen.

It's a poor excuse for a politician, that you are staying clear because you are not being believed, if that happened in Parliament nobody would ever attend. Don't think a single person on this forum is naive enough to believe in 'cure-alls' but they do tend to believe in debate and counter argument.

Thanks for biting back though
Anytime....

I can't speak for anyone else but I recall one particular thread that just descended into me repeating myself over and over about benches and every clear answer I gave was spun into some form of lie. I've got better things to do with my time than argue with people who won't take my public statements in print as the truth.

I've never shied away from a direct question or good debate but I'm not going to find answers for people and then justify my answers to prove that I'm not lying or covering up.

Or would you prefer a politician's answer?

Old 27-01-2013, 20:45   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The power of the ballot box is impotent, if those you elect do not take seriously the concerns of the electorate.
Could do with being more punchy for a t-shirt
Old 27-01-2013, 21:21   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

How about "Voting Is Bollox"?
Old 27-01-2013, 21:23   #60
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
How about "Voting Is Bollox"?
It is if you have no idea what you're voting for.

Politicians of all levels have a duty to make things clear what they're getting for their cross on the ballot sheet.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..