Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18   #1
God Member

sometimes it beggars belief

i know its a bit late and the items in question have been in place a while now but sometimes it beggars beleif at the sheer and utter stupidity of Lancashire County Council

zebra crossings at the exit points of roundabouts are dangerous and cause traffic backlog

its not as though accrington is an easy place to get through at busy times as it was and now you have backlog generated on the main town center roundabout.

Iv seen many a crash at a similar set up in preston over the years but as long as its only cars getting hit and peoples insurance going up i suppose thats ok

why they cant use their brain every once in a while and put a crossing further down the road so as not to cause as much of a problem god only knows but as long as johnny fat arse can walk accross the road without looking while chomping on his big mac i guess everything is fine and dandy
Stevie R likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2014, 09:32   #2
Senior Member+

Re: sometimes it beggars belief

You only have to look at the end of Hyndburn Road where the crossing is. It is a wonder no none has been hurt yet with the speed some motorists approach it.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:02   #3
Full Member+

The crossing is in a really stupid place, both for drivers and pedestrians and is an accident waiting to happen. I was walking up to Asda the other day, and, while I stood waiting to cross an old man drove straight over it oblivious. It's far to close to the roundabout and drivers slam on when they notice someone waiting to cross. I wonder how many people have run in to the car in front at the last minute? It's embarrassing as a pedestrian too, I'm almost apologetic for getting them to stop. Who plans these things? They'd be better doing a local survey asking drivers and pedestrians alike where they think a crossing should be put.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:07   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thing is LCC have always been stupid @ will always continue to be so,whilst knobheads support em,instead of arse licking, they should tell em the truth.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
They'd be better doing a local survey asking drivers and pedestrians alike where they think a crossing should be put.

Why ask the general public if you are a superior being who knows what's best for us all
Old 01-03-2014, 10:30   #6
Full Member+

Your probably right there, like everything else with the 'powers that be'', the average man in the street is treated with contempt, only fit to keep on paying their taxes and shutting their gobs. We shouldn't ever dare have an opinion.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36   #7
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Underpasses & bridges, while initially more expensive at the they outset would in the long term be far better options, the traffic can flow unhindered & pedestrians can get where they want without risk.

Still what do I know, I'm not paid grossly obscene amounts of money to organise something as complex as road transport infrastructure! But in my warped little World that'd be option I'd choose.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I have always been in favour of underpasses were possible, they work very well,on very busy coastal roads in Spain. Those in Blackburn Centre do the same job also.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:14   #9
Full Member+

Yes, but these days they'd soon be filled by dodgy characters, druggies and weirdos. You'd need an armed guard at each end.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:00   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Yes, but these days they'd soon be filled by dodgy characters, druggies and weirdos. You'd need an armed guard at each end.
But this would then give Plod the chance to shine! He could take a "proceed" as in "Hi was proceeding halong the highway, when the miscreant ......... blah de blah de blah" to the said underpass & lo & behold he could apprehend all the villains & wastrels in one fell swoop! Back to the station, tea & toast & promotion to chief super!
Stevie R and westendlass like this.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Maundy would have an office there
Less and Gremlin like this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 20:38   #12
God Member

on a busy day the zebra crossing causes cars to stop on the roundabout which is extreemly dangerous as the whole idea of a roundabout is to keep traffic flowing so cars not been able to see around corners are forced to slam on when they find themselves with stationary vehicles to contend with where there shouldnt be any.

im guessing LCC thought that people couldnt understand the big letters written in capitals saying LOOK RIGHT on the road helping those unfamiliar with teh concept that looking out for cars reduces risk of death or injury so have now resorted to zebra crossings

bare in mind that these zebra crossings are newish and there was never any signs put up before them making motorists aware of the changes like there is supposed to be so people familiar to the town wernt aware of them until someone walked out infront of them

also bare in mind if you dont manage to slam on and someone is waiting to cross and a police officer sees you its 3 points on your licence and a fine for failing to stop at a zebra crossing.

mind you it could be close enough to blackburn road for it to fall under the " cant be arsed to do our jobs" criteria

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 20:44   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
on a busy day the zebra crossing causes cars to stop on the roundabout which is extreemly dangerous as the whole idea of a roundabout is to keep traffic flowing so cars not been able to see around corners are forced to slam on when they find themselves with stationary vehicles to contend with where there shouldnt be any.

im guessing LCC thought that people couldnt understand the big letters written in capitals saying LOOK RIGHT on the road helping those unfamiliar with teh concept that looking out for cars reduces risk of death or injury so have now resorted to zebra crossings
Its probably a cost thing mate "LOOK RIGHT" would have to be written in at least 6 Languages.
Less and pallyman like this.
Old 01-03-2014, 21:37   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its probably a cost thing mate "LOOK RIGHT" would have to be written in at least 6 Languages.
All the more reason why these people should learn English!
Old 01-03-2014, 22:00   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

sometimes it beggars belief

I do find it frustrating at times when faced with crossing there, how when someone speeds around the corner, but when walking past at times some pedestrians do seem to act like lemmings!

Road kill anyone? No need for hedgehogs when something similar to pork could be available.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..