Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2005, 06:13   #1

SPOILER ALERT - Harry Potter discussion thread!

Last chance to turn back if you don't want the book ruined for you....

Just wanted to get other opinions/conspiracy theories on the new HP.

Personally I enjoyed it. It was very entertaining, but still doesn't beat my favourite, The Prisoner of Azkaban. I also found the 'romance' between Harry and Ginny rather tiresome - it hasn't been as well written as Ron and Hermiones will they/won't they that has been going on for two books.
Didn't see the death of Dumbledore coming at all. I knew that one of the main characters was up for the chop, but I was convinced it would be Ron.
I don't think Snape killed Dumbledore because of his promise to Narcissa either. I do still think that he is on the 'good' side, and his apparent murder of Dumbledore was down to something that the two of them had cooked up. I do like Snape though. He is by far the most interesting charatcer for me and I do like his double crossing agent role.
I don't think we have seen thelast of Dumbledore either. He has always seemed a little bit too good to be true to me, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Horcrux or two stashed away somewhere...

That said though - can't wait for the final installment!
Old 26-07-2005, 06:55   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: SPOILER ALERT - Harry Potter discussion thread!

I really enjoyed it and with being on holiday I had no excuse to put the book down once I'd started it. I couldn't believe what happened to Dumbledore, it was like watching a car crash. I had to continue reading the book to believe it. Then again, I still can't believe that Sirius is dead either.

I also like the Professor Snape character, Alan Rickman really does the part justice in the films, he's brilliant. It wouldn't surprise me if Dumbledore did have a Horcrux stashed away, but I can't imagine who he may have killed in order to acquire one.

Can't wait for the next book....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 08:08   #3
God Member

Isn't it funny, I have only seen the first Harry Potter film and that in a poor quality pirate version, but I now find it impossible to visualise the main characters as anything other than their screen personifications. Alan Rickman is Snape, he couldn't look any different. And they say that film and television do not influence behaviour - pah!

I found the book a lot darker and more adult oriented than anything that had preceded it. Clearly Rowling's experiments with murder mystery writing are leaking into the Potter series. The bit in the underground cave where Potter is forcing Dumbledore to drink the green potion was very close to painful.

I have to say though that there does not appear to be as much action as the previous books and, for me, the story did not really get going until the last third of the book. But that is a minor quibble.

Why did Dumbledore have to die? Clearly Potter needs to go through some sort of cathartic period of initiation, a "dark night of the soul" to enable him to come to a full realisation of the powers he posesses which will enable him to defeat Voldemort. This is clearly laid out in his sense of abandonment following Dumbledore's death and his determination to cut himself off from everything and everyone and in his declaration that he will not be returning to Hogwarts for his final year. Clearly Dumbledore realises this and arranged his own "apparent" death with Snape to facilitate whatever realisation Potter has to come to - remember the reported argument between Snape and Dumbledore? Potter has to believe that no one is coming to help him.

If the book of Advanced Potions was Snape's and he really was the Half-Blood Prince, can you really imagine him leaving such a thing lying around for years where anyone could pick it up? I think it was planted with the intention of it coming into Potter's posession.

Remember the battle between Snape and Potter as Snape tries to escape with the death-eaters. Why, if Snape really hates Potter as much as he pretends to do, did he not take the opportunity of, if not killing him, then at least seriously damaging him? If you look at the exchanges between the two he was still teaching Potter right up to his disappearance.
Old 26-07-2005, 08:21   #4
God Member

I love Snape - he's developed into a really central character and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the last book hinges on him. I think it's partly to do with the Alan Rickman effect in the films - JK Rowling has seen how people have enjoyed that character and she has developed him more and more.

Snape's definitely on the good side - he had a few opportunities to kill Harry. Just walking up the dark path with him when he got locked out of the school would have been an ideal opportunity.

I don't think Dumbledore is actually dead - or if he is, he'll talk to Harry a lot in the next book through other means. He might be a diary or a picture but in the next book Harry has to realise that he hasn't been abandoned completely as I'm pretty sure that the end will be a happy one.

Think the romance is pretty good but I would have thought it would have been better if there had been a bit of triangle thing going on. It would have been more likely that Hermione wouldn't have been able to choose between Harry and Ron, but the Harry and Ginny thing is a bit convenient.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 08:30   #5
God Member

Who is R.A.B. ?
Old 26-07-2005, 08:36   #6
God Member

I don't know

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 09:51   #7
God Member

Ahh yes, the portrait of Dumbledore that appeared on the wall of the headmaster's office after his "death"!

I like Madam Trelawney. There is something quite appealing in dotty, tipsy old ladies.
Old 26-07-2005, 11:30   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I think R.A.B. will be revealed in the next book. Emma Thompson also has Professor Trelawney down to a tee in the films, complete with the thick glasses and the slightly chemically challenged air about her.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 11:48   #9
white rabbits

never read any of the books.. i fell asleep watching chamber of doom.... am i the only one that cant get excited over h.p.......PREFER THE SAUCE MYSELF.....

[there goes my karma points again,,gulp]
Old 26-07-2005, 12:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
never read any of the books.. i fell asleep watching chamber of doom.... am i the only one that cant get excited over h.p.......PREFER THE SAUCE MYSELF.....

[there goes my karma points again,,gulp]
I cant as well BUT i like the sauce
and as for the karma point , You know what thay say ""easy come easy go "
.. apest1 ..
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..