Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What should happen?
Raise pay to 6% and increase council tax to pay for it 1 7.14%
raise pay higher than 2.45% 3 21.43%
Raise to the offered 2.45% 6 42.86%
No pay rise 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2008, 01:40   #31
God Member

Re: Strikes next week too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think you are in a slightly different position than the Council workers. Your company can make a pay rise relative to how well it is performing and the profits it is making.

Out of interest what percentage increase will be applied to the house/flat rents this year?
As part of the stock transfer (houses changing ownership) agreement with the council (which was in April 2001) rent increases were at inflation + 1% last year and this year it was increased by inflation levels only.

But the company still remains a not for profit company... i.e any profit made is put back into the company in the shape of improvements to the properties and for the next five years we have the "More than the landlord" scheme which is £5 million pounds (£1 million per year) to be spent by application for various things that can improve tenants lives...eg. works on playgrounds, fencing, environmental works, funding for local groups within our estates, supporting financially and practically with the local furniture stores and loads more

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2008, 01:58   #32
Loz

I voted for 2.45% increase.
If it was to be any higher i would worry about council tax going up to cover the increase in wages.
People can get too greedy at times IMO.
When they took these jobs on they willingly did so knowing the wage structure,if you are not happy where you are look for employment elsewhere instead of striking and causing major inconveniences for everybody.
Old 17-07-2008, 02:47   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
As part of the stock transfer (houses changing ownership) agreement with the council (which was in April 2001) rent increases were at inflation + 1% last year and this year it was increased by inflation levels only.
I can understand then why they are unable to give you an increase higher than inflation, unless they are already making more in rents than wages and other outgoings. I suppose for your wage to increase at higher than inflation they would have to either increase the rents or reduce the service/maintenance/repairs etc.
Old 17-07-2008, 07:19   #34
Super Moderator

Just what we need, another Cyfrpoll!

I wonder if he's going to throw another little tantrum ("God I can't believe I'm having to argue these things...") when other members have the temerity to disagree with his views?
Old 17-07-2008, 09:13   #35
Resting in Peace

The thing is I kind of agree with cashy here, I ain't a clue about negotiations, so leave it up to those who do. the only thing is that when people go on strike for more than they are offered, it starts the magic round-a-bout, wages go up then so do prices, its a never ending circle of events. I have always been amused with per centage wage increases 3% of £15,000 is £450 but 3% 0f £62,000 (aprox an MPs pay) is £1860 is big differance, thts why % are so miss leading
Old 17-07-2008, 09:30   #36
Senior Member+

Andrew.....Stop making polls!!!!!!!!!

can i start a poll to find out if he should be banned from making polls for, say a month?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 09:32   #37
God Member

At next years awards ceremony I suggest a new category
Bore of the Year

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 09:45   #38

During the last rosy 10 years for the economy (and it has been) private industry gave reasonably high wage increases. Unfortunately public sector nad civil servants have had their increases tied to roughly 2.3% per annum. (Mine for instance has gone up 12.4% over the last 6 years). Now with inflation, mortgages and fuel costs I cannot tighten my belt any further as I have had to for "the good of the economy" for the last 10 years, this along with the reduction of staff by 30% over the last 4 years.

As it is difficult to live on the salary paid (this year I am due 1.3% increase) I agree that as negotiations have not so much broken down but a refusal by the employers to even negotiate through ACAS. Strike action has to be taken to force action on this impasse. Not to get the fabled 6% but to renegotiate a deal into something realistic.

For those of you who say "well if you don't like the salary get another job" I do my job to serve the public firstly and for renumeration secondly, however having been treated abysmally for years the increases in my outgoings has forced the issue to where we are today.

I haven't voted as the simplistic answers above do not deal with any of the major issues. I would vote for binding arbitration.
Old 17-07-2008, 10:21   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well said stanaccy, agree with binding arbitration, the problem has always been at n impasse, you can go to A.C.A.S., which is independant arbitrators, fine but then both sides have to agree, thats were the problem lies, in many many cases the trade union suggest ACAS, n mangement refuse, therefore yer knackered, n have to ballot fer action. this fact is very rarely mentioned in the tabloids, its always " Militant Workers are on Strike" n these clowns are too wet behind the ears to be aware of it, either that or they blatantly disregard it, to suit their own political ends.

Last edited by cashman; 17-07-2008 at 10:27.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 11:06   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well said stanaccy, agree with binding arbitration, the problem has always been at n impasse, you can go to A.C.A.S., which is independant arbitrators, fine but then both sides have to agree, thats were the problem lies, in many many cases the trade union suggest ACAS, n mangement refuse, therefore yer knackered, n have to ballot fer action. this fact is very rarely mentioned in the tabloids, its always " Militant Workers are on Strike" n these clowns are too wet behind the ears to be aware of it, either that or they blatantly disregard it, to suit their own political ends.
You mean the Tabloids would use things for their own political ends cashy, never
Old 17-07-2008, 11:21   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You mean the Tabloids would use things for their own political ends cashy, never
no i mean cyfr.
Old 17-07-2008, 11:43   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
Andrew.....Stop making polls!!!!!!!!!

can i start a poll to find out if he should be banned from making polls for, say a month?
42days at the very least
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:27   #43
JFT96

and the rest...

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 12:36   #44
Fra

Who's striking next week? I'm a unison member and I haven't heard anything?
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 16:49   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no i mean cyfr.
Oh thats all right then, so long as you've cleared it up

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..