Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2013, 20:43   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Terrible news, another cyclist killed on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought a bell was a requirement on a bike.
Gets on my wick when bikes mount the footpath and cross at traffic lights instead of waiting. Or pass on the inside at red traffic lights or worse on the outside and swerve in front of the stopped cars at lights. Or pass on the inside in heavy traffic where you don't expect them to be
According to the highway code, yes it is, for some reason it isn't applied.

The traffic light thing is even worse, my brother actually got fined for getting off his bike and wheeling it around some traffic lights (it was over 40 years ago, no chance it would happen today).

According to the Policeman, he should have picked it up and carried it around the lights to prove it wasn't in use.

We won't see that happening these days.

I hate to hear about cyclists dying or injured, but the way they are allowed to be a law unto themselves...

What can we expect?

Any law, should be applied, not just ignored because of paperwork, especially, when the idiot concerned is the most vulnerable.

Last edited by Less; 24-11-2013 at 20:45.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2013, 20:48   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Motor bikes are as bad but faster and more dangerous, swearing in and out of motorway lanes avoiding traffic and trying to kill themselves and those around them
Old 24-11-2013, 20:53   #18
Senior Member+

Less

it is applied.

You cant but a bike built in the UK (from a shop) without a bell.

You can order one from online and build it yourself without a bell, but a shop cant legally sell you a bike without a bell.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:58   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Less

it is applied.

You can order one from online and build it yourself without a bell, but a shop cant legally sell you a bike without a bell.
Yes you can, my lad bought an expensive BMX from a local shop, it came with just a rear brake and no bell. The shop owner said thats how the kids want them so whats the point of fitting them just so they can take them off again. They were supplied to him with bells and front brakes but he never fitted them unless asked to do.
Old 24-11-2013, 21:04   #20

Terrible news, another cyclist killed on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Less

it is applied.

Well if that's true, could someone teach these idiots how to use a bell?

Oh, and how to use a road?

The pavement is for pedestrians.

If a cyclist is too frightened to use the road, why should they be allowed to either use a bike, or get in the way of pedestrians?
Don't we, pedestrians have a right to be safe just like them?
Old 24-11-2013, 21:54   #21
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Well if that's true, could someone teach these idiots how to use a bell?

Oh, and how to use a road?

The pavement is for pedestrians.

If a cyclist is too frightened to use the road, why should they be allowed to either use a bike, or get in the way of pedestrians?
Don't we, pedestrians have a right to be safe just like them?
This Government website has bike rules from the Highway Code here https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Rule 64 You MUST not cycle on a pavement
Old 24-11-2013, 22:40   #22
Senior Member+

I think when it comes to breaking the highway code rules, car drivers are more guilty than anyone. Twice today and once yesterday I saw someone drive through red lights and that`s nothing compared to what I see going to and from work .Then there is speeding, illegal parking and total lack of consideration for other drivers, cutting up, overtaking on the near side, taxis stopping in the middle of the road when there is a perfectly good place to park.
The problem is there is too much paperwork for the police to enforce every minor traffic offence.
Alan Varrechia likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I think when it comes to breaking the highway code rules, car drivers are more guilty than anyone....
It seems that way, but the reality is that for every cyclist you meet using the road you will meet hundreds of car drivers. When you compare "Incidents" as a percentage of "participants", cyclists come off much worse.

It never ceases to amaze me that they take such risks, when their only bodily protection is a thin layer of lycra. At least they are sensible with their headgear, and use a much thicker layer of polystyrene to protect the head from a two-tonne lump of metal doing 60mph.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:43   #24
God Member

you should always check your blind spots for cyclists especially if you have just waxed your car

them swines will smear your finish if you hit one and you most likely wont get an appology either

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 09:53   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
you should always check your blind spots for cyclists especially if you have just waxed your car

them swines will smear your finish if you hit one and you most likely wont get an appology either
Mines lucky if it gets a bucket of water, never mind wax.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:06   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
It seems that way, but the reality is that for every cyclist you meet using the road you will meet hundreds of car drivers. When you compare "Incidents" as a percentage of "participants", cyclists come off much worse.

It never ceases to amaze me that they take such risks, when their only bodily protection is a thin layer of lycra. At least they are sensible with their headgear, and use a much thicker layer of polystyrene to protect the head from a two-tonne lump of metal doing 60mph.
They certainly do themselves no favours on the safety front, I worked with a guy who fell of his after skidding on some oil. Was off work for 6 months with a broken hip.
But a bad driver will do much more damage to others than a bad cyclist.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:14   #27

Terrible news, another cyclist killed on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
But a bad driver will do much more damage to others than a bad cyclist.
That does not excuse the cyclists from obeying the Highway Code, what about the damage done to the motorist because he killed a cyclist that ran a red light or went into the drivers lane while weaving in and out of traffic?
The majority of Cyclists are dangerous to themselves and other road users.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:19   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
That does not excuse the cyclists from obeying the Highway Code...
I`m not say it does, but it`s not just cyclists who are guilty of it.
Old 25-11-2013, 10:25   #29

I travel along a few miles of steep, winding roads with no place to safely over take - and in the summer it is full of cyclists that can't be going faster than 10mph ! Whilst traffic flows between 50-70mph.

It drives me mad - if a car was driving that slow they'd be done for dangerous driving but it seems fine for cyclists
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 10:44   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
I travel along a few miles of steep, winding roads with no place to safely over take - and in the summer it is full of cyclists that can't be going faster than 10mph ! Whilst traffic flows between 50-70mph.

It drives me mad - if a car was driving that slow they'd be done for dangerous driving but it seems fine for cyclists
A steep winding narrow road with a 50-70mph speed limit, where is this crazy place, sounds like the cyclists are doing you a favour slowing you down.
Less likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..