Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2010, 07:18   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: The Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Just goes to show how a life "overlooking at ducks and geese" can make people out of touch with reality.
I've lived all over the UK, and travelled the world widely, including to many third world countries, where I saw some of these problems first hand.

Having the ability to see things as they really are, rather than through a dodgy pair of party political specs, is a real eye opener.

You should try it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2010, 07:20   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Second option would be international development. We're not saying you should just throw money at a problem, it has to be specifically targeted money that actually helps people get out of the situation they're in. This is much more than just giving some foreign government a wad of cash.

That's not happening.

A third of third world aid is spent on arms, designed to kill, rather than help those in need.

Old 27-03-2010, 07:37   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Some humanitarian aid is given, knowing it will be diverted into arms, to bolster various supported regimes.

'A recent document released by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has revealed that millions of dollars, allocated for victims of the Ethiopian famine of 1984-85, went into buying weapons for rebellions. However, Robert Gates - President Obama’s Secretary of Defense said the suggestion cannot be ruled out that the CIA not only knew about, but supported, the diversion of aid funds to the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF)'
EthioGuardian.com ETG: Ethiopia: Aid money was spent on arms

I do think the majority of hardworking British taxpayers, do get sick and fed up of this happening, time after time.

They can see plenty of things their taxes could help to improve in this country, rather than be spent on arming third world dictators.
Britain is one of the biggest donors on the planet, when it comes to overseas aid, and as a people they do realise there are genuine needs, and issues which need addressing. You only have to see how much they choose to give, when it comes to disasters in the world, from the famine in Ethiopia in the eighties, to the devastation in Haiti following the earthquake.

However they do also see the problems on their own doorstep, and some will think that their taxes would be better off spent at home, rather than perhaps finding it's way into the pocket of some western arms dealer, which does happen. Fact.

Old 27-03-2010, 07:52   #64
Give, give, give member

Official Development Assistance by country in absolute terms

List of most charitable countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 27-03-2010, 09:07   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

seems "ALL" our E.U. partners donate "Billions" less than the good old U.K. Do they not care? or is the answer there not as stupid?
Old 28-03-2010, 10:12   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

I don't like the freeze on personal allowance either .. still cutting into my pension whilst the price of goods increase ...
With the freeze in personal allowance and below price rise in the basic state pension, it makes single pensioners over 65 £110 worse off. Disgraceful.
Old 28-03-2010, 10:26   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
With the freeze in personal allowance and below price rise in the basic state pension, it makes single pensioners over 65 £110 worse off. Disgraceful.
Talking of new allowances, and proposed changes, what do you think about the proposals to change the level at which inheritance tax is paid?

Quote:
'Raising the Inheritance Tax threshold to £1 million.'
The Conservative Party | Policy | Where we stand | Economy

Estimated house price £352,456.00
Property details for 11 Wildings Lane Lytham St. Annes FY8 3RJ - Zoopla!

At least some people, and their neighbours will benefit from the proposed Conservative tax changes.

Though it probably won't affect too many of us here in Hyndburn, who'll have to pay for these changes through cuts in services.

A case of give and take.

Old 28-03-2010, 10:36   #68
God Member

Quote:
Talking of new allowances, and proposed changes, what do you think about the proposals to change the level at which inheritance tax is paid?
I think it's a great idea. Inheritance tax was only ever meant to tax the most wealthy. Only millionaires should be paying it. Many people have worked hard all their lives and wish to pass assets on to their loved ones, rather than the state taking it away from them.
Old 28-03-2010, 10:54   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think it's a great idea. Inheritance tax was only ever meant to tax the most wealthy. Only millionaires should be paying it. Many people have worked hard all their lives and wish to pass assets on to their loved ones, rather than the state taking it away from them.
Seems rather unfair on millionaires, to be singled out.

Why that particular threshold?

Hardly an encouragement for enterpise, and industriousness.

Soulds quite like communism.

Old 28-03-2010, 10:59   #70
God Member

Quote:
Seems rather unfair on millionaires, to be singled out.

Why that particular threshold?

Hardly an encouragement for enterpise, and industriousness.

Soulds quite like communism.
The richest can afford to pay a little more in taxation than the poorest.
Old 28-03-2010, 11:07   #71
Give, give, give member

Quote:
We'll have to disagree on that one.

I think everyone should pay the same rate of tax.

True equality means everyone should pay the same percentage of their income in tax, which of course means in financial terms, the wealthier will pay more.

Not party politics, just my own thoughts, as someone who believes in the concept of equality, and that it should be applicable to all, otherwise it's a nonsense.

Old 28-03-2010, 11:18   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
When talking about the 'richest', that's a term that's open to debate.

To many people in Hyndburn, someone like Karen Buckley, who lives in a property valued at over a third of a million pounds, and who will no longer be eligible for inheritance tax if the Conservatives win the next election, would be perhaps seen as being 'rich'.

I suppose the term's relative, and depends on the value of the property you're sitting in, whilst pondering the concept, and definition of 'rich'.

Old 28-03-2010, 11:29   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
When talking about the 'richest', that's a term that's open to debate.

To many people in Hyndburn, someone like Karen Buckley, who lives in a property valued at over a third of a million pounds, and who will no longer be eligible for inheritance tax if the Conservatives win the next election, would be perhaps seen as being 'rich'.

I suppose the term's relative, and depends on the value of the property you're sitting in, whilst pondering the concept, and definition of 'rich'.
I suppose to someone who lives in Notting Hill, like David Cameron, where a third of a million pounds would buy a pokey one bedroomed studio flat, if you're lucky, someone living in a big detached house on the Lancashire coast, valued at the same price of £1/3 million pounds, wouldn't be considered particularly rich.

The concept is all relative.

Luckily the people in Hyndburn are 'rich', in that they mostly have a good sense of humour.

Old 28-03-2010, 11:53   #74
God Member

Quote:
Karen Buckley, who lives in a property valued at over a third of a million pounds, and who will no longer be eligible for inheritance tax if the Conservatives or Labour win the next election..
Better.
Old 28-03-2010, 11:55   #75
God Member

Quote:
We'll have to disagree on that one.

I think everyone should pay the same rate of tax.

True equality means everyone should pay the same percentage of their income in tax, which of course means in financial terms, the wealthier will pay more.

Not party politics, just my own thoughts, as someone who believes in the concept of equality, and that it should be applicable to all, otherwise it's a nonsense.
The poorest in society are already taxed far too much. They'd have to make up the shortfall if we had a completely flat tax rate. That is wrong in my opinion.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..