Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The Budget (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-budget-52440.html)

andrewb 25-03-2010 16:23

The Budget

Are you better or worse off?

You can find a budget calculator here: BBC News - Budget calculator 2010 although it is not comprehensive.

My housemate is not too happy with the 10% increase in the price of cider. ;)

My biggest peeve is the hidden stealth tax on working people. It's not within the BBC's budget calculator as it's sneakily done. They're going to freeze the personal tax allowance, where as normally it increases in line with inflation. This means that you'll be taxed an extra £50 on your income. I'm absolutely against this. I think the personal allowance should be raised to £10,000 so the lowest income workers are taken out of tax altogether.

Tealeaf 25-03-2010 16:41

Re: The Budget

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 800234)
My housemate is not too happy with the 10% increase in the price of cider.

So is your housemate a wino?

shillelagh 25-03-2010 16:45

Quote:

You can find a budget calculator here: BBC News - Budget calculator 2010 although it is not comprehensive.

My biggest peeve is the hidden stealth tax on working people. It's not within the BBC's budget calculator as it's sneakily done. They're going to freeze the personal tax allowance, where as normally it increases in line with inflation. This means that you'll be taxed an extra £50 on your income. I'm absolutely against this. I think the personal allowance should be raised to £10,000 so the lowest income workers are taken out of tax altogether.

from the bbc's website .. BBC News - Parties draw economy battle lines on day after Budget

But Mr Osborne claimed 30 million workers were facing an effective tax rise due to the freeze on personal allowances.
He said the details, contained in official documents, were a new "stealth tax" and Mr Darling had "said nothing about the biggest tax rise in the Budget" in his speech.
Mr Darling said that tax thresholds are linked to the inflation rate the previous September. At the time inflation was negative so "in theory these allowances should have been cut... now that would have been daft... so I froze them".

cashman 25-03-2010 18:06

well i certainly liked the bit about increases on Cider n Alcho-Pops,

DaveinGermany 25-03-2010 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 800264)

Alcopops o.k, but Cider ? you can't get much more British than a Pint of Cider in a Country Beer-Garden, or at Home in your own Garden with family & friends on a Summers evening. No I find that wrong personally. Maybe that's why they've done it ! They'd sooner have us drinking imported fizzy pish from Europe, sad days indeed.

turkishdelight 25-03-2010 19:32

Quote:

Just used the the budget calculator. I am 53 pounds worse off, didnt realise just how the taxes were hidden.

webglynne 25-03-2010 19:33

Agree dave and since when did only winos drink?

Eric 25-03-2010 19:49

Our budget was boring .... seems like our problem is how to put a damper on our economy, particularly the soaring loonie, without slowing it down too much ... especially when our neighbour's economy is still sluggish.;)

Wynonie Harris 25-03-2010 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 800245)
So is your housemate a wino?

If he has taken to the drink, who can blame him? ;)

Benipete 25-03-2010 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 800264)

I must agree there.
We have to tighten our belts - The poor old Cornish people have to pull in the strings of their trousers. :D

g jones 25-03-2010 21:07

Quote:

Given your Party wants 'An Age of Austerity', how will you pay for this allowance increase.

Being cynical I think you are trying to say Britain's debts are a tragedy and we need deep cuts on the one hand but on the other you'll be better off under the Tories. All this without an explanation of how.

Whatever Labour is, at least it is being more upfront, clear, with one just policy it is sticking too. Believe it or not you know what it is.

cashman 25-03-2010 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 800284)
Alcopops o.k, but Cider ? you can't get much more British than a Pint of Cider in a Country Beer-Garden, or at Home in your own Garden with family & friends on a Summers evening. No I find that wrong personally. Maybe that's why they've done it ! They'd sooner have us drinking imported fizzy pish from Europe, sad days indeed.

yep cider as well, in general alkies n knobheads get out their skulls on it especially from supermarkets.

Benipete 25-03-2010 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by g jones (Post 800314)
Given your Party wants 'An Age of Austerity', how will you pay for this allowance increase.

Being cynical I think you are trying to say Britain's debts are a tragedy and we need deep cuts on the one hand but on the other you'll be better off under the Tories. All this without an explanation of how.

Whatever Labour is, at least it is being more upfront, clear, with one just policy it is sticking too. Believe it or not you know what it is.

With all the cuts in university grants I'm surprised you got a PhD in talking rubbish or have you got an all paid tip sorted.Missed the R out - Sorry
:D

Neil 25-03-2010 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 800317)
yep cider as well, in general alkies n knobheads get out their skulls on it especially from supermarkets.

Then there should be a minimum price per unit as you can get cheap lager as well as cider

cashman 25-03-2010 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 800324)
Then there should be a minimum price per unit as you can get cheap lager as well as cider

true but majority of those clowns i see drink the other 2, seems lager is outa fashion.:rolleyes: