Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2008, 16:43   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
As I understand it democracy is the rule by the wishes of the majority. As far as the UK is concerned that is not the case. The government voted into office is there because of the wishes of the minority of those eligible to vote in the country. But the government twists the democracy rule by using the majority of those who cast a vote.

However even then democracy is squashed. Each MP voted into Parliament has one vote when it comes to deciding a course of action. Yet one MP can have attained office with 65,000 people voting for him whilst another only had 10,000 vote for him. Yet both votes in Parliament carry the same weight.

A strange form of democracy!
And non of them actually vote how their electorate want them otherwise we would have capital punishment for murdering scumbags instead of giving them a life of luxury behind bars and a beter living than most pensioners
Old 30-06-2008, 18:14   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And non of them actually vote how their electorate want them otherwise we would have capital punishment for murdering scumbags instead of giving them a life of luxury behind bars and a beter living than most pensioners
As a man well known in political circles maybe you could explain that mystery to us all
Old 30-06-2008, 18:31   #63
God Member

Quote:
As I understand it democracy is the rule by the wishes of the majority. As far as the UK is concerned that is not the case. The government voted into office is there because of the wishes of the minority of those eligible to vote in the country. But the government twists the democracy rule by using the majority of those who cast a vote.

However even then democracy is squashed. Each MP voted into Parliament has one vote when it comes to deciding a course of action. Yet one MP can have attained office with 65,000 people voting for him whilst another only had 10,000 vote for him. Yet both votes in Parliament carry the same weight.

A strange form of democracy!
Seems like you are in favor of some form of proportional representation ... and this I would agree with ... just for an example, and this is not an indication of my politics, the Canadian Green Party won about 10% of the national vote in the last General Election, but won no seats. Under some form of proportional representation, the thousands of people who voted Greeen would have a voice in parliament. I don't know how it is in England, but in Canada, in both Provincial and Federal elections, the winning party often has less than fifty per cent of the vote.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:50   #64
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Seems like you are in favor of some form of proportional representation ... and this I would agree with ... just for an example, and this is not an indication of my politics, the Canadian Green Party won about 10% of the national vote in the last General Election, but won no seats. Under some form of proportional representation, the thousands of people who voted Greeen would have a voice in parliament. I don't know how it is in England, but in Canada, in both Provincial and Federal elections, the winning party often has less than fifty per cent of the vote.
I am indeed.

And what you describe is a mirror of the UK “democratic” system.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:16   #65
God Member

Quote:
I am indeed.

And what you describe is a mirror of the UK “democratic” system.
It's even crazier here; Federal elections are ususally decided after the vote is counted in Onatario and Quebec, because these are the most populous provinces. This means that because this is such a huge country, stretching across five and a half time zones, the election is over while people in British Columbia are still voting. TV and radio stations are not allowed to release results in the western provinces until all the polls are closed ... but in this digital age, anyone can access results on the net. So if you are voting in MST or PST areas you know the results of the election before you go to vote.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:21   #66
God Member

I think that I am wandering a long way from the price of oil .... but we have billions of barrels of the stuff still in the ground, so we don't worry about the price of oil, just the level of govt. taxation on the stuff. Unlike some in the US, most of us prefer to have free health care and good access to education than cheap oil and gas. Our Liberal party is proposing a new revenue neutral tax scheme that looks interesting, and is receiving the nod from both the left wing and the right.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:23   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's even crazier here; Federal elections are ususally decided after the vote is counted in Onatario and Quebec, because these are the most populous provinces. This means that because this is such a huge country, stretching across five and a half time zones, the election is over while people in British Columbia are still voting. TV and radio stations are not allowed to release results in the western provinces until all the polls are closed ... but in this digital age, anyone can access results on the net. So if you are voting in MST or PST areas you know the results of the election before you go to vote.
similar situation here , the east coast polls close and the 'talking heads' are out with the exit polls and predictions , though they do wait until the west coast polls close before issuing any results , though no one seems to care that Alaska and Hawaii are still voting ....
my solution ... the US and Canada should be like China and have only one timezone
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 18:36   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
similar situation here , the east coast polls close and the 'talking heads' are out with the exit polls and predictions , though they do wait until the west coast polls close before issuing any results , though no one seems to care that Alaska and Hawaii are still voting ....
my solution ... the US and Canada should be like China and have only one timezone
Or form a new country consiting of California and BC (British California) ... oh, and lets add Alberta because it is floating on a sea of oil. And Oregon and Washington because they are so beautiful.
Old 06-07-2008, 17:42   #69

Quote:
In the meantime we pay the price. We always have and we always will until such times as true democracy can be implemented.

Be careful what you wish for. In a democracy, individual rights are irrelevant. If the majority votes that half of your income be confiscated before you can even buy groceries.....well, what are you going to do then?

bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 18:45   #70
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: The Price Of Oil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Be careful what you wish for. In a democracy, individual rights are irrelevant. If the majority votes that half of your income be confiscated before you can even buy groceries.....well, what are you going to do then?

Don’t be stupid.

What sane group would vote to lose half their income before even getting access to it?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:16   #71
God Member

the well paid who are on 40% tax and NI and then all the tax that we already pay. They don't have a chance because there isn't a party that will change any of that.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 18:20   #72

Quote:
Don’t be stupid.

What sane group would vote to lose half their income before even getting access to it?

No sane person does......yet it still happens.

I was merely making the point that democracy is mob rule, which makes it a very dangerous form of government. But what care you if the majority vote comes at the expense of the minority.

To paraphrase one of Cyfr's favorite quotes.....
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner."

'Tis better, I think, to restrain the wolves and arm the sheep.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 19:02   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post

Now I get it ... Barb is an anarchist

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..