Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The Price Of Oil ! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-price-of-oil-40235.html)

Mancie 10-06-2008 23:43

The Price Of Oil !

The Yanks (well the Democrats) are up in arms because the price of a gallon of petrol has gone over 4 dollars.. I reckon that to be around £2.50 a gallon... the oil companies have as usual, reported massive increases in profit.
When will the Governments put a stop to this blatant profiteering ?

blazey 10-06-2008 23:47

Re: The Price Of Oil !

I blame the conservative party.

cashman 10-06-2008 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazey (Post 590643)
I blame the conservative party.

:D:D:D:D nice one......;) mancie theres more chance of seeing a statue of hitler in Tel Aviv n the goverment reducing the taxation.:rolleyes:

Mancie 10-06-2008 23:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 590647)
:D:D:D:D nice one......;) mancie theres more chance of seeing a statue of hitler in Tel Aviv n the goverment reducing the taxation.:rolleyes:

I don't mean taxing them (oil barons) I mean more pressure has to be put on them.. the sort of pressure they may take onboard.. like sending armed forces into the board rooms!

cashman 11-06-2008 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 590655)
I don't mean taxing them (oil barons) I mean more pressure has to be put on them.. the sort of pressure they may take onboard.. like sending armed forces into the board rooms!

i know that mate, but cannot see any otherway to reduce the price, these people are flogging more oil to the likes of china,india etc, and are perfectly happy to do so,without increasing production, so to put it blunt, they have us oer a barrel.;)

jambutty 11-06-2008 03:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 590639)
The Yanks (well the Democrats) are up in arms because the price of a gallon of petrol has gone over 4 dollars.. I reckon that to be around £2.50 a gallon... the oil companies have as usual, reported massive increases in profit.
When will the Governments put a stop to this blatant profiteering ?

If you think that is profiteering what about the $23 billion that mainly US and a few UK businesses have managed to con out of the US Treasury - as revealed on Panorama Special last night.

Mancie 11-06-2008 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 590797)
If you think that is profiteering what about the $23 billion that mainly US and a few UK businesses have managed to con out of the US Treasury - as revealed on Panorama Special last night.

I do think it's the big companies making a mint.. now ..is this about the "He's got crop circles.. on his head,...crop circles on his head ..he's got crop circles on his head.. he's got crop circles on his head ?

andrewb 11-06-2008 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 590797)

The US Federal Reserve is farcical. I will be watching this on catchup service, thank-you for raising it Jambutty!

Boeing Guy 11-06-2008 18:47

Well it would help if our Labour Goverment would reduce tax a bit.
More chance of bombıng Iran than that though.
Funny though £2.50 per gallon I would be happy to pay that, just goes to show how much duty there ıs on fuel here.
Opec need to be dealt wıth.
İt's all well and good for Gordon Frown to go on about North Sea Crude, but the oıl we get from there cannot be refined in our refinerıes, ıt ıs not sweet enough, So we send it off to the east.

Benipete 11-06-2008 19:03

May be wrong but i think the tax in America is about 17% while we pay 80%,Big differance

Boeing Guy 11-06-2008 19:10

Must be Thatchers Fault then!!!!!!!!! Or is it Heath's????

Benipete 11-06-2008 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boeing Guy (Post 591165)
Must be Thatchers Fault then!!!!!!!!! Or is it Heath's????

All our leaders that still think we are a world power and spend our money accordingly.I'me not taking the party whip on this one.All to blame as far as I can see.:mad::mad:

cashman 11-06-2008 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 591170)
All our leaders that still think we are a world power and spend our money accordingly.I'me not taking the party whip on this one.All to blame as far as I can see.:mad::mad:

no question at all that is the case.:(

derekgas 11-06-2008 19:39

People are as much to blame in many ways, we have all watched it happening and have sat back and allowed it, we know they always punish the smokers, drinkers and drivers, and many still do all these at the same rate they always have, granted, some people have given up smoking, and the non smokers havnt gone back drinking, but very few use the car less, or make use of one car instead of several cars, between a family.

Eric 11-06-2008 19:45

So everyone is still blaming the oil companies and government; but the real culprit is us. GM doesn't send goons to force us to buy the big gas guzzlers. It's us the consumers who have squandered the oil with the SUVs and the pickups and the minivans and now we have to pay the price. There is a positive side to all this; we are being forced into conservation, forced by high prices to do what we should have been doing years ago. Whole new industries and opportunities are opening up in the "green" sector. Wherever you drive in Canada you can notice the increase in the number of hybrid cars, particularly the Toyota Prius. The extra tax dollars our governments, federal and provincial, are collecting are being passed back to the people in the form of reduced income and sales taxes, increased govt spending on health and education, and passed directly to municipalities for infrastructure improvements. And the point that was made about low taxes in the States: what would you rather have, cheap gas or govt. funded health care?