Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 23:21   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Third Mosque for Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman View Post
Bought some postage stamps the other day from the asian post office on avenue parade ..... instead of the qheens head on them there was a picture of claudia jones ///civil rights activist. on them. I felt like giving them back and saying sorry i want british stamps with our queen on them not some activist.. what the hell is going on in this country. in a few years WE will be the minority in our own country.
I say the same thing every year.

I buy stamps and there he is, the baby Jesus.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2008, 23:27   #47
Give, give, give member

Mind you, I wouldn't particularly want to lick any of the others either.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:24   #48

I think it is great that these women are recognised. These are people who did something for society, and didnt just spend their lives being chauffeured here there and every where waving their hand and living off the rest of us.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:24   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman View Post
Bought some postage stamps the other day from the asian post office on avenue parade ..... instead of the qheens head on them there was a picture of claudia jones ///civil rights activist. on them. I felt like giving them back and saying sorry i want british stamps with our queen on them not some activist.. what the hell is going on in this country. in a few years WE will be the minority in our own country.
I've read all the post before replying, I was going to say that all British stamps have to have the queens head on them, and as the post above shows they have. Since stamps were issued with portraits on them other than the monarch are have been literally thousands issued, the first being William Shakespeare (if I remember rightly), as some one who has a substantial stamp collection, I had an account with the post office, on the day of issue they would send me a mint set, (not first day covers). I think that stamps such as these are very interesting, and certainly better than just the ordinary picture of Liz
Old 10-11-2008, 10:10   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I think it is great that these women are recognised. These are people who did something for society, and didnt just spend their lives being chauffeured here there and every where waving their hand and living off the rest of us.
I don't think a woman such as Marie Stopes, a supporter of eugenics, and who sent Hitler a love letter and a book of her poems, is a person who deserves much admiration.

Royal Mail condemned for honouring 'Nazi' Marie Stopes in Women of Distinction stamps | Mail Online

Old 10-11-2008, 10:34   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I don't think a woman such as Marie Stopes, a supporter of eugenics, and who sent Hitler a love letter and a book of her poems, is a person who deserves much admiration.

Royal Mail condemned for honouring 'Nazi' Marie Stopes in Women of Distinction stamps | Mail Online
Perhaps it is not for you ( or I ) to decide who is and who is not a suitable person for admiration? Personally i do not perceive them as being their for to be admired but for the contribution they made, through their own efforts, to ordinary peoples lives.
But lets face it inbred, parasites who enjoy the 'sport' of killing animals are not all that deserving of admiration
Old 10-11-2008, 10:42   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Perhaps it is not for you ( or I ) to decide who is and who is not a suitable person for admiration? Personally i do not perceive them as being their for to be admired but for the contribution they made, through their own efforts, to ordinary peoples lives.
But lets face it inbred, parasites who enjoy the 'sport' of killing animals are not all that deserving of admiration
Er....excuse me, unlike in Nazi Germany, where there wasn't freedom of speech, I have every right to think that a woman who professed her love for Adolf Hitler isn't a suitable person to be celebrated as a notable Briton, and to appear on our stamps.

Which 'inbred parasites' kill animals for 'sport'?

You've totally lost us there.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:44   #53
Give, give, give member

I've just realised your remarks were probably aimed at the Royal Family.

At least they don't kill Jews and cripples for fun.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:46   #54
God Member

There was no bigger nazi supporter than the ex Prince of Wales(almost king) - was a nazi collaborator/spy (allegedly) - he was shipped off to the Bahamas to limit the damage to our war effort

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:49   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There was no bigger nazi supporter than the ex Prince of Wales(almost king) - was a nazi collaborator/spy (allegedly) - he was shipped off to the Bahamas to limit the damage to our war effort

Yes I know that, but that has nothing to do with Marie Stopes, and her being celebrated by appearing on a stamp.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:58   #56
Give, give, give member

Perhaps some people would like to see a whole set of stamps celebrating British Nazi sympathisers.

As well as Marie Stopes we could have the Duke of Windsor, Oswald Mosley, Diana and Unity Mitford, Lord Rothermere, the then owner of the Daily Mail.

Personally I wouldn't.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:02   #57

I imagine that Marie Stopes is commemorated (not necessarily celebrated) by the stamps because of the impact she had by introducing contraceptive services to the average person (women directly the whole population indirectly). I think her private life is irrelevant to this. She changed many peoples life with her pioneering work. End of story
Old 10-11-2008, 11:08   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I imagine that Marie Stopes is commemorated (not necessarily celebrated) by the stamps because of the impact she had by introducing contraceptive services to the average person (women directly the whole population indirectly). I think her private life is irrelevant to this. She changed many peoples life with her pioneering work. End of story
Stopes may have pioneered birth control for working class women, but her advocation of eugenics in relation to her Nazi sympathies, and the resulting atrocities they carried out in that field, is very relevant.

It's like saying Hitler and Mussolini should be remembered respectively for building good roads, and making the trains run on time, rather than their hideous crimes against humanity.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:24   #59

As far as I am aware Marie Stopes was not directly responsible for any atrocities

Chill out a little. Few people in this world are perfect. The woman is long since dead and is a symbol of what women can do. Reaping up long forgotten issues serves no purpose
Old 10-11-2008, 11:30   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As far as I am aware Marie Stopes was not directly responsible for any atrocities

Chill out a little. Few people in this world are perfect. The woman is long since dead and is a symbol of what women can do. Reaping up long forgotten issues serves no purpose
Very touching, especially as tomorrow is Rememberance Day.

Happily millions of people do care about 'long forgotten issues', in the hope that it will never happen again.

You may think a Nazi sympathiser is a fit person to have on a British stamp. I do not.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..