Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Third Mosque for Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/third-mosque-for-accrington-43718.html)

Gordie 06-11-2008 03:41

Third Mosque for Accrington

How many mosques will there be in the near future in Accrington.Will the residents of Accrington be hearing the loud call to prayer from all directions of the town.It would be interesting to know how much private money would be going to the cost of this project and how much other funding from grants and groups who are funded by the tax payer to help further ethnic integration.
I think Accrington would be better served with new community halls and facilities for the elderly to replace the ones that had to close for lack of funding.This way all residents of the town would benefit.

garinda 06-11-2008 07:35

Re: Third Mosque for Accrington

Reportedly there could be 'a large community centre at the side of the building'.

Also reported in the local press is the fact that this is a private enterprise, there is no mention of any public funds being used.

As for how many mosques are needed I suppose that's down to supply and demand, the same as it is for churches.

garinda 06-11-2008 07:59

The new mosque and community centre in Dublin looks very impressive.;)

http://www.islamfortoday.com/ireland.htm

jaysay 06-11-2008 08:52

Personally I don't have a problem with place of worship of any denomination as long as its self funding, but it does seem ironic that as more and more christian churches are closing more Islamic centres are opening, must just be a sign of the times

katex 06-11-2008 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 647805)
As for how many mosques are needed I suppose that's down to supply and demand, the same as it is for churches.

How true Garinda.

I just don't like them when they don't appear to fit in with the architecture of the area .. e.g. tacky looking gold domes .. yuk., and they do seem to get passed. Bling amongst our sceptred isle so to speak. :(

MargaretR 06-11-2008 17:12

The 'calling to prayers', whether it be church bells, or shouting from domes, is an obtrusive outdated practice which is totally unneccessary - we all have clocks and watches nowadays don't we :rolleyes:

cashman 06-11-2008 17:14

the one in Dublin looks fine n "Will" blend in with the city, so why some can't here is a question fer the council, who obviously must give planning permission.:rolleyes:

katex 06-11-2008 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 647955)
The 'calling to prayers', whether it be church bells, or shouting from domes, is an obtrusive outdated practice which is totally unneccessary - we all have clocks and watches nowadays don't we :rolleyes:

Church Bells are lovely Margaret .. but isn't there some restriction now ?

garinda 06-11-2008 17:17

Might all be pie in the sky.

No plans have been submitted, and with the state of the economy, and the building industry, it might all come to nothing.

MargaretR 06-11-2008 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 647957)

Hopefully 'yes' - should be applied to all religious buildings.

If there is an event which warrants nationwide joy - eg end to war, then I dont mind them being rung

PS appears not
http://innertemplelibrary.wordpress....ily-telegraph/

K-P 06-11-2008 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordie (Post 647795)
It would be interesting to know how much private money would be going to the cost of this project and how much other funding from grants and groups who are funded by the tax payer to help further ethnic integration.

If you would find that interesting then you must be bored out of your socks!

Caz 06-11-2008 17:43

Quote:

Agree, love the sound of Church Bells, and they aren't exactly early in the morning are they, 10ish? Quite a comforting sound I think..Out dated??? May be an age old practice, but think that's the point for some of us, religious or not. :)

lancsdave 06-11-2008 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordie (Post 647795)
How many mosques will there be in the near future in Accrington.Will the residents of Accrington be hearing the loud call to prayer from all directions of the town.It would be interesting to know how much private money would be going to the cost of this project and how much other funding from grants and groups who are funded by the tax payer to help further ethnic integration.
I think Accrington would be better served with new community halls and facilities for the elderly to replace the ones that had to close for lack of funding.This way all residents of the town would benefit.

Funny how the deserters always complain loudest about whats going on locally ;)

magpie 06-11-2008 17:48

I would have thought that there were more than three.........

garinda 06-11-2008 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 647971)
I would have thought that there were more than three.........

It says in the Observer there are two in Accrington.

One in Higher Antley St., and the other's in Grimshaw St.