Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Third Mosque for Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/third-mosque-for-accrington-43718.html)

garinda 09-11-2008 23:21

Re: Third Mosque for Accrington

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman (Post 648956)
Bought some postage stamps the other day from the asian post office on avenue parade ..... instead of the qheens head on them there was a picture of claudia jones ///civil rights activist. on them. I felt like giving them back and saying sorry i want british stamps with our queen on them not some activist.. what the hell is going on in this country. in a few years WE will be the minority in our own country.

I say the same thing every year.

I buy stamps and there he is, the baby Jesus.

:D

garinda 09-11-2008 23:27

Mind you, I wouldn't particularly want to lick any of the others either.

http://www.norvic-philatelics.co.uk/...1014-women.jpg

polly 10-11-2008 08:24

I think it is great that these women are recognised. These are people who did something for society, and didnt just spend their lives being chauffeured here there and every where waving their hand and living off the rest of us.

jaysay 10-11-2008 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman (Post 648956)
Bought some postage stamps the other day from the asian post office on avenue parade ..... instead of the qheens head on them there was a picture of claudia jones ///civil rights activist. on them. I felt like giving them back and saying sorry i want british stamps with our queen on them not some activist.. what the hell is going on in this country. in a few years WE will be the minority in our own country.

I've read all the post before replying, I was going to say that all British stamps have to have the queens head on them, and as the post above shows they have. Since stamps were issued with portraits on them other than the monarch are have been literally thousands issued, the first being William Shakespeare (if I remember rightly), as some one who has a substantial stamp collection, I had an account with the post office, on the day of issue they would send me a mint set, (not first day covers). I think that stamps such as these are very interesting, and certainly better than just the ordinary picture of Liz

garinda 10-11-2008 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 649000)
I think it is great that these women are recognised. These are people who did something for society, and didnt just spend their lives being chauffeured here there and every where waving their hand and living off the rest of us.

I don't think a woman such as Marie Stopes, a supporter of eugenics, and who sent Hitler a love letter and a book of her poems, is a person who deserves much admiration.;)

Royal Mail condemned for honouring 'Nazi' Marie Stopes in Women of Distinction stamps | Mail Online

polly 10-11-2008 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 649038)
I don't think a woman such as Marie Stopes, a supporter of eugenics, and who sent Hitler a love letter and a book of her poems, is a person who deserves much admiration.;)

Royal Mail condemned for honouring 'Nazi' Marie Stopes in Women of Distinction stamps | Mail Online

Perhaps it is not for you ( or I ) to decide who is and who is not a suitable person for admiration? Personally i do not perceive them as being their for to be admired but for the contribution they made, through their own efforts, to ordinary peoples lives.
But lets face it inbred, parasites who enjoy the 'sport' of killing animals are not all that deserving of admiration

garinda 10-11-2008 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 649051)
Perhaps it is not for you ( or I ) to decide who is and who is not a suitable person for admiration? Personally i do not perceive them as being their for to be admired but for the contribution they made, through their own efforts, to ordinary peoples lives.
But lets face it inbred, parasites who enjoy the 'sport' of killing animals are not all that deserving of admiration

Er....excuse me, unlike in Nazi Germany, where there wasn't freedom of speech, I have every right to think that a woman who professed her love for Adolf Hitler isn't a suitable person to be celebrated as a notable Briton, and to appear on our stamps.

Which 'inbred parasites' kill animals for 'sport'?

You've totally lost us there.:confused:

garinda 10-11-2008 10:44

I've just realised your remarks were probably aimed at the Royal Family.

At least they don't kill Jews and cripples for fun.;)

MargaretR 10-11-2008 10:46

There was no bigger nazi supporter than the ex Prince of Wales(almost king) - was a nazi collaborator/spy (allegedly) - he was shipped off to the Bahamas to limit the damage to our war effort

garinda 10-11-2008 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 649058)
There was no bigger nazi supporter than the ex Prince of Wales(almost king) - was a nazi collaborator/spy (allegedly) - he was shipped off to the Bahamas to limit the damage to our war effort

Yes I know that, but that has nothing to do with Marie Stopes, and her being celebrated by appearing on a stamp.

garinda 10-11-2008 10:58

Perhaps some people would like to see a whole set of stamps celebrating British Nazi sympathisers.

As well as Marie Stopes we could have the Duke of Windsor, Oswald Mosley, Diana and Unity Mitford, Lord Rothermere, the then owner of the Daily Mail.

Personally I wouldn't.

polly 10-11-2008 11:02

I imagine that Marie Stopes is commemorated (not necessarily celebrated) by the stamps because of the impact she had by introducing contraceptive services to the average person (women directly the whole population indirectly). I think her private life is irrelevant to this. She changed many peoples life with her pioneering work. End of story

garinda 10-11-2008 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 649063)
I imagine that Marie Stopes is commemorated (not necessarily celebrated) by the stamps because of the impact she had by introducing contraceptive services to the average person (women directly the whole population indirectly). I think her private life is irrelevant to this. She changed many peoples life with her pioneering work. End of story

Stopes may have pioneered birth control for working class women, but her advocation of eugenics in relation to her Nazi sympathies, and the resulting atrocities they carried out in that field, is very relevant.

It's like saying Hitler and Mussolini should be remembered respectively for building good roads, and making the trains run on time, rather than their hideous crimes against humanity.

polly 10-11-2008 11:24

As far as I am aware Marie Stopes was not directly responsible for any atrocities

Chill out a little. Few people in this world are perfect. The woman is long since dead and is a symbol of what women can do. Reaping up long forgotten issues serves no purpose

garinda 10-11-2008 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 649069)
As far as I am aware Marie Stopes was not directly responsible for any atrocities

Chill out a little. Few people in this world are perfect. The woman is long since dead and is a symbol of what women can do. Reaping up long forgotten issues serves no purpose

Very touching, especially as tomorrow is Rememberance Day.

Happily millions of people do care about 'long forgotten issues', in the hope that it will never happen again.

You may think a Nazi sympathiser is a fit person to have on a British stamp. I do not.