Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2009, 15:40   #1
Resting in Peace

This sums up our justice system to the full

Thug Walid Salem boasts he is untouchable as the householder he tormented is jailed | Mail Online

Don't need to add much to this, seems to show just what a first class justice system we really have
Old 21-12-2009, 15:50   #2
JFT96

Re: This sums up our justice system to the full

12 years of 'Tough on crime'.....yeah

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 16:19   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Reminds me of the "Tony Martin" case, how long ago would that be? approx 10 yrs i think n still nowt learned.
Old 21-12-2009, 16:31   #4
Super Moderator

Be interesting to see if the legal system receives the general toughening up that most ordinary people are crying out for, if/when the boy David takes up the reins of power next year.

Not holding my breath, personally.
Old 21-12-2009, 16:47   #5
God Member

Am I missing something here? The bloke was attacked streets away from the house with iron bars and a cricket bat that broke. How is that protecting your property?
Old 21-12-2009, 18:17   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Am I missing something here? The bloke was attacked streets away from the house with iron bars and a cricket bat that broke. How is that protecting your property?
what yer missing imho bernie is these were knife weilding thugs, ya aint gonna go after them wi yer bare hands, they were armed.
Old 21-12-2009, 20:12   #7
God Member

"Salem suffered a fractured skull, a broken jaw and brain damage"

Are they trying to say he was a normal person before that.
Old 21-12-2009, 21:16   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Spot on Dave..people paid good money on Friday nights down Blackburn to get in that state..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 08:22   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Be interesting to see if the legal system receives the general toughening up that most ordinary people are crying out for, if/when the boy David takes up the reins of power next year.

Not holding my breath, personally.
Chris Grayling was on Breakfast TV yesterday morning saying that if elected the Tories will look at the rights of home owner to protect their own property. From my point of view if some scumbag is in my home in Th middle of the night intending to rob me,I ain't going to think twice before whacking hm with the nearest thing that comes to hand, because the tow rag shouldn't have been there in the first place
Old 22-12-2009, 08:45   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Chris Grayling was on Breakfast TV yesterday morning saying that if elected the Tories will look at the rights of home owner to protect their own property.
Heard it all before...Tory conferences talking about "short, sharp shocks", Wille Whitelaw talking about prison life being conducted at "a brisk pace" etc etc.

Looking at the rights of the home owner is all very well, but the whole British justice system needs reforming root and branch. A toughening up of the judiciary with judges who are willing to punish criminals, rather than feeling sorry for them. An expansion of prison building with prisoners kept in much more spartan conditions than now. A wholesale ratcheting up of sentences - real life terms for murder, 30-40 year sentences for serious assaults etc. Can't see all that happening under a lightweight Blair-a-like!
Old 22-12-2009, 09:08   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Heard it all before...Tory conferences talking about "short, sharp shocks", Wille Whitelaw talking about prison life being conducted at "a brisk pace" etc etc.

Looking at the rights of the home owner is all very well, but the whole British justice system needs reforming root and branch. A toughening up of the judiciary with judges who are willing to punish criminals, rather than feeling sorry for them. An expansion of prison building with prisoners kept in much more spartan conditions than now. A wholesale ratcheting up of sentences - real life terms for murder, 30-40 year sentences for serious assaults etc. Can't see all that happening under a lightweight Blair-a-like!
The problem is we have to put up with the Guardian reading human rights brigade Wynonie, which is a pain in itself. I have often said that the current law books should be piled high on the green out side parliament and put to the torch, and replaced by new laws tailored for the 21st century not the middle ages. We may not like a lot the Yanks do but in a lot of cases they get their sentencing right, if a criminal gets life in the states,it means life. I often laugh at sentences give here, when they say somebody is given a life sentence and must serve a minimum of 18 years, so why call it life, when it quite obviously isn't. I also think that the word concurrently be deleted from the law books, if you commit 4 crimes and get six months on each count, to me you get 2 years end of
Old 22-12-2009, 09:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

Are they trying to say he was a normal person before that.
Might be a better person after the brain damage IMHO...........
Old 22-12-2009, 13:56   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The problem is we have to put up with the Guardian reading human rights brigade Wynonie, which is a pain in itself. I have often said that the current law books should be piled high on the green out side parliament and put to the torch, and replaced by new laws tailored for the 21st century not the middle ages. We may not like a lot the Yanks do but in a lot of cases they get their sentencing right, if a criminal gets life in the states,it means life. I often laugh at sentences give here, when they say somebody is given a life sentence and must serve a minimum of 18 years, so why call it life, when it quite obviously isn't. I also think that the word concurrently be deleted from the law books, if you commit 4 crimes and get six months on each count, to me you get 2 years end of
The "criminals are poor, misunderstood victims of society" brigade are only a problem because governments make them a problem. If the next government (of whichever political stripe) adopted a draconian crackdown on lawbreakers, I guarantee they would receive huge public support and the bleeding heart liberals would be swept aside!
Old 22-12-2009, 15:07   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The "criminals are poor, misunderstood victims of society" brigade are only a problem because governments make them a problem. If the next government (of whichever political stripe) adopted a draconian crackdown on lawbreakers, I guarantee they would receive huge public support and the bleeding heart liberals would be swept aside!
We'd have to scrap the European Human Rights act first Wynonie, or the games a boggy, Brown would never do it, nor would Clegg (mind you he'll never get the chance) Cameron has said he'll scrap it and introduce our own rights bill
Old 22-12-2009, 15:39   #15
JFT96

Human rights were a good idea, but it should have always been favoured towards the victim's not the criminals

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 22-12-2009 at 15:44.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..