Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree220Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2011, 09:05   #121
Resting in Peace

Re: Town Centre Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
In which case they'll be a Tena, plus fifty pee tax.

Would have to be far more than that if people have been out on the lash
Old 25-01-2011, 07:09   #122
Common Sense Member

What Accrington Town Centre could do with is some form of masterplan to attract some of the bigger retailers. There seems to be permanent whispering going on about the Arndale Centre but no actual progress so that could do with sorting out. The odd 'big hitter' popping up for six months and then closing isn't going to be much good on its own so we need a few at once to try and get more people shopping there again.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Accy this past six months and as someone who hasn't grown up here I'm not as critical as those who have watched its decline. That isn't to say that there isn't room for plenty of improvement but it isn't quite the hole that some of you seem to think.

It always manages to get money out of me each time I visit, all that counts surely?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 07:18   #123
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
What Accrington Town Centre could do with is some form of masterplan to attract some of the bigger retailers. There seems to be permanent whispering going on about the Arndale Centre but no actual progress so that could do with sorting out. The odd 'big hitter' popping up for six months and then closing isn't going to be much good on its own so we need a few at once to try and get more people shopping there again.

I've spent a fair bit of time in Accy this past six months and as someone who hasn't grown up here I'm not as critical as those who have watched its decline. That isn't to say that there isn't room for plenty of improvement but it isn't quite the hole that some of you seem to think.

It always manages to get money out of me each time I visit, all that counts surely?
always gets money outa me ken, trouble is wi that there aint enough of us, hence traders keep closing.
Old 25-01-2011, 09:04   #124
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Maybe, just maybe, if money had been spent on the Town Centre instead of the Globe Centre, things may not have been as bad as they are now, the demise of Accy town centre started long before 2000
Old 25-01-2011, 09:10   #125
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Maybe, just maybe, if money had been spent on the Town Centre instead of the Globe Centre, things may not have been as bad as they are now, the demise of Accy town centre started long before 2000
I can't really comment on that as it was long before my time but we've been told to stop parking on The Globe Centre car park because there isn't enough room for the new staff as well as HBC employees.

Can't be too bad an investment?

Old 25-01-2011, 09:25   #126
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I can't really comment on that as it was long before my time but we've been told to stop parking on The Globe Centre car park because there isn't enough room for the new staff as well as HBC employees.

Can't be too bad an investment?
Ken there was nothing wrong with the concept of the Globe Centre at all, my argument at the time was to use the money raised by the sale of council assets on the Town Centre and use private finance on the Globe Centre, I had many an argument with Nigel Rix on this front, but he wouldn't have it
Old 25-01-2011, 09:33   #127
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ken there was nothing wrong with the concept of the Globe Centre at all, my argument at the time was to use the money raised by the sale of council assets on the Town Centre and use private finance on the Globe Centre, I had many an argument with Nigel Rix on this front, but he wouldn't have it
Never heard of the bloke until this morning, but the smallest amount of digging has given me another glimpse of Hyndburn's past.

Old 25-01-2011, 10:39   #128
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Never heard of the bloke until this morning, but the smallest amount of digging has given me another glimpse of Hyndburn's past.
Look and learn Ken, look and learn
Old 25-01-2011, 16:09   #129
God Member

Quote:
What Accrington Town Centre could do with is some form of masterplan to attract some of the bigger retailers.
I seem to recall the Idiot in Chief splashing out oodles of cash on just such a plan a couple of years ago, commissioned from some flash Manchester agency. Can it be that it is out of date so soon?

One of the main problems is that the bog standard response of the council and private landlords to falling revenues is to raise rents. The creation of a trading zone in the centre of town where rents and business rates are limited would have a profound effect on the viability and longevity of business start-ups and make Accrington once more into an attractive business proposition. And don't tell me it can't be done, there are ways and means around every legal obstacle (rate holidays, rent holidays, rent subsidies, etc etc). The Council should be the primary enabler when it comes to business, not the major hurdle.
Old 25-01-2011, 16:14   #130
God Member

Does anyone know what happened to the Supermarket that was going to be added on to the side of the Arndale? Or was that just another Pipe dream?
Old 25-01-2011, 16:14   #131
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
And don't tell me it can't be done, there are ways and means around every legal obstacle (rate holidays, rent holidays, rent subsidies, etc etc).
They can do it, when they want to.

'Boyd Hargreaves, Oswaldtwistle Mills managing director, said: "The Woolworths deal has worked really well for both parties. We were given a fantastic deal and our occupancy over the last 18 months has been commercially profitable for us.'

Future looking brighter as new store moves into town - Accrington Observer

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 16:54   #132
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Does anyone know what happened to the Supermarket that was going to be added on to the side of the Arndale? Or was that just another Pipe dream?
Was going to be a Sainsburys A-B .. but once Tesco got planning permisson, they threw in the towel .. I thought this was a much better proposition to be honest. A different type to Asda and being attached to the Arndale, would at least encourage people into the Arndale and across to the market.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 16:58   #133
God Member

Thanks for that Katex, I guess there really is a limit to how many supermarkets one town can support.
Old 26-01-2011, 09:02   #134
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Well between us this morning we have hatched a plan to cause National embarrasment to Hyndburn Council if the decision isn't reversed. Watch this space
I can imagine how the conversation went

Quote:
Dave: I have a plan, Mel.
Mel: Really Dave? A cunning and subtle one?
Dave: Yes Mel.
Mel: As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?
Dave: Yes Mel.
Old 26-01-2011, 09:06   #135
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
They can do it, when they want to.

'Boyd Hargreaves, Oswaldtwistle Mills managing director, said: "The Woolworths deal has worked really well for both parties. We were given a fantastic deal and our occupancy over the last 18 months has been commercially profitable for us.'

Future looking brighter as new store moves into town - Accrington Observer

I thought that had shut down now

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..