Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2013, 16:25   #1
Full Member+

Thumbs down Ripped off.

When nipping to the shop today I decided to have a change of newspaper. On scanning the choices I decided to plump for The Independent. There was a large circle printed on the front with 80p in the middle. This,I assumed,was the price. As I was buying a few things i didn't check straight away. On getting down to reading the paper I noticed the (very)small print under the 80p sign saying it was that price if you subscribed to their seven day package. Looking for the (absolutely miniscule ) actual price I found I had paid 1.80 for it. What an absolute rip off. If this doesn't break the trade description act ill eat my hat. I would've expected better from a paper like this. Never again,slimy barstewards.
Old 31-08-2013, 18:23   #2
I am Banned

Re: Ripped off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
When nipping to the shop today I decided to have a change of newspaper. On scanning the choices I decided to plump for The Independent. There was a large circle printed on the front with 80p in the middle. This,I assumed,was the price. As I was buying a few things i didn't check straight away. On getting down to reading the paper I noticed the (very)small print under the 80p sign saying it was that price if you subscribed to their seven day package. Looking for the (absolutely miniscule ) actual price I found I had paid 1.80 for it. What an absolute rip off. If this doesn't break the trade description act ill eat my hat. I would've expected better from a paper like this. Never again,slimy barstewards.
Thats expensive toilet paper.
Jim Procter and Lucysgirl like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 18:41   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

A lot of papers are putting on the front cover how much it would be if you subscribed. Not quite as big as you said though
Old 31-08-2013, 19:08   #4
Full Member+

Couldn't believe how much of a deception it was. I suppose you live and learn, I won't be caught out like that again. Surely, ploys such as this will only go against the paper in the long run. I certainly will not be buying it again.
Old 31-08-2013, 19:11   #5
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Thats expensive toilet paper.
I could've got extra triple soft velvet for that instead of an old rag that will go in the recycling.
Old 01-09-2013, 17:42   #6
Senior Member+

Why anyone pays for a paper with the amount of free news you can get on your phone or pc is beyond me.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 17:43   #7
Beacon of light

I still like a newspaper to take to the lavvy and do the crossword.
westendlass likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:03   #8

Mainly for crosswords & sudoku - I get the i (Independent spin-off). It's 20p & very good value. IMV

(The Express is a prime culprit for rip-offs with their headline 'special offers' which turn out to be almost impossible to claim when you read the small print.)
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Mainly for crosswords & sudoku - I get the i (Independent spin-off). It's 20p & very good value. IMV

(The Express is a prime culprit for rip-offs with their headline 'special offers' which turn out to be almost impossible to claim when you read the small print.)
I've bought the i a few times and it really is good value for money. Shouldve bought it in the first place! I'm going to tie my specs around my neck with a piece of string in future.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I've bought the i a few times and it really is good value for money. Shouldve bought it in the first place! I'm going to tie my specs around my neck with a piece of string in future.
Will you buy the i again after its sister paper the Independent ripped you off because doing so puts your money into the same pot?
Old 03-09-2013, 18:38   #11
Full Member+

True, but once burnt etc. I'll just make sure I check before I buy in future. And vetoing the i paper would only be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. I'm not really bothered where the 20p is going as long as I get a good read at that price. I was just angry that I didn't realise till I got home, it sure won't happen again.
Old 04-09-2013, 17:15   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I still like a newspaper to take to the lavvy and do the crossword.
Andrex ain't that dear Margaret
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 22:08   #13

Since about 1997 I get all my news from the Internet and Accy web, all I keep thinking is Princess Diana is looking very old these days, I thought she'd dumped Charles?
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 19:21   #14

If you like the I newspaper,4 weeks free here i Subscription | Trial
pallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 22:19   #15

yes I got the I for free for 4 weeks.its only 20 p weekdays and 30 p on Saturdays. excellent value. the vouchers last till next march so you can get friends to apply for you and then give them to you.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..