Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2014, 03:28   #16
God Member

Re: town hall illegal parking

although power to punish parking violations was given to councils to help take teh burden off the police i was under the impression that the police mainly traffic officers could still issue penalties and fines

if a traffic warden gets you parking on zigzags you only get a fine but if a police officer gets you then you get the 3 points as well.Its about time traffic wardens were given teh power to issue points as well because at least they will punish people for parking on zigzags where as from what i have witnesse don many occasions the police wont.

it really irks me when i see a traffic officer drive past someone parked on zigzags becaus ethem zigzags are there for a reason and thats everyones safety even more so than double yellow lines

basically once teh traffic wardens knock off at 6pm its a free for all because it seems illigal parking offences are beneath the police.I guess theres no thrill in chasing a stationary car and you dont get to put teh flashy lights on.

if only we had some sort of representitive who was willing to look into and ask why people arnt been punished for parking dangerously and jumping red lights etc .

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2014, 07:23   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Anyone notice the benches surrounding the town hall in that picture?

How come they are placed all around the town hall and yet only 50 yards away it's a bench free zone outside the Market Hall?
Are our druggies and cider drinkers too lazy to stagger the distance? Or is there some other reason why they can be trusted to sit outside our Council offices?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:01   #18
Full Member+

Going in to Accy this morning I noticed an elderly gentleman with a worried look on his face being spoken to by a traffic warden. His car was parked near to the Calder pub on a single yellow line. I think some people are seen as easy targets, funny how you rarely see a warden up the other way past the railway bridge where cars are parked on double yellows and even on the pavement all the time. I've seen drivers park up on yellow lines and go and get their hair cut at the Asian barbers but nothing ever seems to get done about it, its so unfair.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:06   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Going in to Accy this morning I noticed an elderly gentleman with a worried look on his face being spoken to by a traffic warden. His car was parked near to the Calder pub on a single yellow line. I think some people are seen as easy targets, funny how you rarely see a warden up the other way past the railway bridge where cars are parked on double yellows and even on the pavement all the time. I've seen drivers park up on yellow lines and go and get their hair cut at the Asian barbers but nothing ever seems to get done about it, its so unfair.
Yeh should know the story of the cop who booked 5 cars in the area yer on about, n got back to station n was bollocked n told to rip em up.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:46   #20
Full Member+

That's one way of bringing our communities together in harmony, not! I think its time WE played the R card but, there again, I don't think being English is classed as a race is it?
Old 11-08-2014, 13:27   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

How come they are placed all around the town hall and yet only 50 yards away it's a bench free zone outside the Market Hall?

i can only conclude that they are trying to attract crime to the area.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 14:28   #22

Is that the mayoral car in the front of the picture?
hyndburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 14:55   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburner View Post
Is that the mayoral car in the front of the picture?
Dunno, but it wouldn't be a big suprise.
Old 11-08-2014, 15:06   #24
Senior Member+

As much as i dislike parking enforcement (stealth tax), i believe it to be a 'necessary evil' but parking restrictions should apply only to the law of obstruction and should not be a way of just making money out of folk .

It's unfair imo for one group of folk (outside the law of obstruction) to arbitrarily decide where and for how long a person should be allowed to park, but to have folk that are also (allegedly) exempt from these rules is a joke

If we are to have parking enforcement (stealth tax) it needs to be fair,transparent and lawful and if folk are to be ticketed for being late back and not kepping to their 'prescribed hours' or parked on double yellows then the council surely has a duty to abide by the law themselves (this is one of many instances were they seem to have failed to do that).

Parking Wardens were originally introduced to decrease the amount of cars that were blocking streets, roads and to help improve traffic flow, unfortunately, this seems to have been abused by our local Council.....

... seems you can anywhere (if your paying).
Gremlin likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 15:42   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

Parking Wardens were originally introduced to decrease the amount of cars that were blocking streets, roads and to help improve traffic flow, unfortunately, this seems to have been abused by our local Council.....

... seems you can anywhere (if your paying).
Fairly sure the local council don't employ traffic wardens, it's county council.
Old 11-08-2014, 16:02   #26
Senior Member+

I spend a lot of time in the blind Welfare shop on Bank Street Accrington.
There are the same cars parked on the street most of the day and no one bothers them.
Warner street next to it is patrolled a few times a day and parking tickets stuck to car windscreens which have stayed longer than the time stated on the notices.
We asked the warden why no one bothers on Bank street, some of our elderly volunteers are afraid to park for more than an hour in case they get ticketed.

He replied " We have been told not to patrol Bank Street"
When I said "OK then mate I will start to park here now instead of opposite the job centre"
He replied once more " Ah but I may get a phone call any-time to start patrolling Bank Street."

I have a very suspicious mind. No further comment.
Old 11-08-2014, 16:11   #27
Senior Member+

Another rant of mine regarding favouritism on parking offences.
There are two barbers shops near the railway arch on Blackburn road and two cars were parked outside one and one outside the opposite one.

I was going to order flowers for my wife's funeral and was in a mood ony people who have experiences such sorrow will understand.
The florist is almost next door to the barbers and I parked in front of one of the cars to go into the shop.
A warden was approaching and had a word with me about moving on. I told him to give the other cars a ticket first as I would not be a minute and the flowers would thrive through his bum fluff where I would stick them.
Expecting a ticket, more so because of my attitude, I was prepared for a battle but he just turned and walked back towards the Town centre.

Fairs fair OK, but not when it's only fair,, shut up Gremlin before you dig YOURSELF into AN EARLY GRAVE THROUGH A HEART ATTACK.
I don't know why I read this thread, I woke up from my afternoon nap in a good mood.
Old 11-08-2014, 19:21   #28
Senior Member+

Have a couple of beers and Chill, Russell
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 19:53   #29

Parking isnt the issue, the road is a pedestrian area between the roundabout and the east side of the town hall. The cars have broken traffic laws not parking laws, none of the cars pictured are taxis and none are mayors etc.
the benches had been moved so that guests could sit down outside. If you look carefully one car was parked half into the middle of the road and a bus had to reverse and go back because the road was blocked. It's about time the police take enforcement a little more serious
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 19:57   #30
Senior Member+

Cheers Frank, I only have cold lager in my fridge so a pair has already gone down well.
Not bothered going out tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dscf0108.jpg (210.1 KB, 21 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..