Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2008, 10:03   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Trouble in the Tory ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well Rindi you have refered to public opinion on the 42 day issue and that most people are in favour, I may just add that even a bigger persentage are in favour of briging back the death penalty not just DD
i honestly doubt thats the case jaysay, think theres very little differance in public opinion on those two things.
Old 13-06-2008, 10:26   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well Rindi you have refered to public opinion on the 42 day issue and that most people are in favour, I may just add that even a bigger persentage are in favour of briging back the death penalty not just DD
I think we'll have to give it a little more time before we draw any conclusions.

It's only been online since the early hours of this morning, and some people may have time set aside to sleep, or go to work.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 11:57   #63
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It'd be interesting to know what old school Conservaties think. People like Mr and Mrs Norman Tebbit, who of course were sadly victims of a terrorist act.

I wonder if they are in favour of the hug-a-hoodie, cuddle a suspected suicide bomber, type of policies that are examplified by the Conservative party of today?
I didn't know when I posted this, but Norman Tebbit does support the increase to 42 days.

'The peer, who was nearly killed by the IRA’s 1984 terror bombing in Brighton, said: “I think it would be wrong to take risks with the security of the UK.”

He stressed that the former head of Scotland Yard’s terror command Peter Clarke also backed the new powers.'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1248245.ece

Old 13-06-2008, 17:23   #64
God Member

It now transpires that if Labour do not field a candidate, The Sun newspaper will! Ex Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie has pledged to run and apparently the billionaire media mogul Rupert Murdock who owns Sky, 17% of ITV, Myspace, The Sun, The Times along with other media companies, has given him financial backing. He will run in agreement with 42 day detention without charge, even suggesting 420 days would be acceptable, and argue that there is no erosion of civil liberty in Britain as a whole.

I think it is a rather sad state of affairs if a newspaper has to fight the case because the government have no conviction in their policies. Although I do applaud the fact that Kelvin MacKenzie is running as it allows a contest to happen, and allows the debate about liberty and freedom to be had.
Old 13-06-2008, 17:38   #65
God Member

That's not a contest - he wants David Davies to win. By being so outlandish, it's obvious that David Davies will win and then claim it as a moral victory too.

This byelection should not be allowed to carry on, it's a farce!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 17:44   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
It now transpires that if Labour do not field a candidate, The Sun newspaper will! Ex Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie has pledged to run and apparently the billionaire media mogul Rupert Murdock who owns Sky, 17% of ITV, Myspace, The Sun, The Times along with other media companies, has given him financial backing. .
Surely this is illegal , if not it should be , Rupert Murdoch is an American citizen ( he had to change his 'nationality' to enable him to have ownership of US media companies)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 17:50   #67
God Member

Quote:
It now transpires that if Labour do not field a candidate, The Sun newspaper will! Ex Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie has pledged to run and apparently the billionaire media mogul Rupert Murdock who owns Sky, 17% of ITV, Myspace, The Sun, The Times along with other media companies, has given him financial backing. He will run in agreement with 42 day detention without charge, even suggesting 420 days would be acceptable, and argue that there is no erosion of civil liberty in Britain as a whole.

I think it is a rather sad state of affairs if a newspaper has to fight the case because the government have no conviction in their policies. Although I do applaud the fact that Kelvin MacKenzie is running as it allows a contest to happen, and allows the debate about liberty and freedom to be had.

So if Kelvin Mackenzie wins, will he actually give up his job as newspaper editor and become an MP or will he then resign and force another byelection?

Old 13-06-2008, 17:57   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
So if Kelvin Mackenzie wins, will he actually give up his job as newspaper editor and become an MP or will he then resign and force another byelection?
I guess you'd have to ask him that. He is the ex-editor though so he would not need to give that up.
Old 13-06-2008, 18:02   #69
God Member

Quote:
I guess you'd have to ask him that. He is the ex-editor though so he would not need to give that up.

I didn't see the 'ex' bit.

Old 13-06-2008, 18:13   #70
God Member

Quote:
I didn't see the 'ex' bit.
Here.............:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7452264.stm

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 18:22   #71

I don’t think I understand why David Davies is even calling a by-election. Listening to the news earlier in the day it was stated that by-elections only for when someone dies or no longer wants to be an M.P.

Davies has only resigned his post in the shadow cabinet, he still wants to remain an M.P. so why call for a by-election and have all the associated costs ?

Am I misunderstanding the situation
Old 13-06-2008, 18:25   #72
God Member

I think the whole sad state of affairs is making a mockery out of our liberties, and all the main political parties should be ashamed of themselves at the moment.

However, it isn't surprising that a newspaper has decided to play on the whole issue... so I won't hold that against them.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 18:31   #73
Give, give, give member

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, and I don't suppose it's much concern to defenders of civil liberties, but the estimated cost from the public purse for this charade is estimated at £75,000-£80,000.

Old 13-06-2008, 18:34   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Who cares?

At least if there's more than David Davis, and the candidate from the Monster Raving Loony Party, it will fill out the hustings a little.

Old 13-06-2008, 18:38   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think the whole sad state of affairs is making a mockery out of our liberties, and all the main political parties should be ashamed of themselves at the moment.

However, it isn't surprising that a newspaper has decided to play on the whole issue... so I won't hold that against them.
That is a little bit rich coming from someone who would lock people up on first impressions
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..