Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2009, 19:53   #61
God Member
 
Eric's Avatar
 

Re: Voting for Christian in Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
my question is ...why are people living in tents when there are 2200 empty houses ?


from another thread ..."Can I just say on the housing and swamping issue there are 2200 empties in Hyndburn. Schools in these areas have falling rolls and can't fill their intake like they once did. "
Maybe it's a "making a statement thing" ... Accringtonians want to show that they are First Nations; so they are moving into teepees.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2009, 19:57   #62
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique
 
Less's Avatar
Re: Voting for Christian in Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
my question is ...why are people living in tents when there are 2200 empty houses ?

God knows, I'll ask him next time my bush self-ignites.
__________________
“I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me.”

Winnie the Pooh


June 23, 2016 the day democracy in Britain and Europe was killed off.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 00:00   #63
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Voting for Christian in Politics

If God's finished rebuilding Rio, fabulously quaint shanty slums, by the way, and is about to start on Accrington, could we have a beach as well please?

Perhaps God could exchange Accrington's present tents for nice little chalets?

He could be like an omnipresent Billy Butlin.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 14:18   #64
Junior Member+
 

Voting for Christians in Politics > Reply to Eric

Hello Eric,
It seems unlikely I am going to be able to answer everyone but I will consider what you are all posting and come back to you all.

Do you think "natural laws" are good enough?
Isn't the case that people rape, plunder, and pillage naturally?
Our natural disposition is to sin for all have fallen short of the glory of God.
What is natural for you need not fbe natural for anyone else either. This need not be a bad thing. Being a stamp collector (for instance) is far from my ideal of what comes naturally but please don't denounce me for stampism.

I accept that you have got your own position which you are standing up for. I can respect you for that even if I disagree with you.

What I would prefer though is to establish a position so that we can agree and see Hyndburn raised up: "can two walk together unless they are first agreed?"

I have never said I was looking for a quarrel. So I think most people have wrongly taken the huff.
You are also correct in your throw away line too. Read Ecclesiastes about reading too many books! What we read is important but not how much!

You have made your point politely and in a civilised manner. Thanks.

Yours sincerely,
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"No-one has yet to come up etc. ..... " Of course they have ... if you take your head out of your bible for a while and do a little reading you will find this ...

"The liberty of man consists solely in this: that he obeys natural laws because he has himself recognized them as such, and not because they have been externally imposed upon him by any extrinsic will whatever, divine or human, collective or individual" Mikhail Bakunin.

And from the same source: "People go to church for the same reasons they go to a tavern: to stupify themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy."

Maybe you should read more.
Alex Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 14:30   #65
Junior Member+
 

Kingston Canada > Not in the Bible

Hi,
Welcome.
It seems you see "trees standing". My point is that although Canada may not be in the Bible but Jesus came to save Canadians. Now my concern is to continue seeing Jesus bless Accrington.
You see that Kingston "falls short of the glory of God". Fine. There will be no earthly city that reaches that standard. However that does not excuse me from trying to make Kingston a better place (if thats what people there want).
I dont think jesus should make an exception of citizens of Kingston and deny them salvation?
Yours sincerely,
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
By the way, I've checked Hebrews 11 and can find no mention of Accrington Maybe the original post is a goof, a joke to get us all going. If it isn't, maybe it's just self-parody Maybe I should check out a concordance and see if I can find Accrington.

No mention of Kingston either .... unless "Kingston" is a short form of "Kingdom of Heaven" .... mmmm, it's a nice place we have going here, but not quite heavenly
Alex Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 14:38   #66
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Kingston Canada > Not in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ross View Post
Hi,
However that does not excuse me from trying to make Kingston a better place (if thats what people there want).
I dont think jesus should make an exception of citizens of Kingston and deny them salvation?
Yours sincerely,
Alex
if the citizens of Kingston do want that.....Be my guest.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 14:50   #67
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique
 
Less's Avatar
Re: Kingston Canada > Not in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ross View Post
Hi,
Welcome.

Alex

Alex I have removed all except
Welcome,

Why? because Eric has made himself,
Welcome,

You however have no right at all to welcome anyone to the site, this site was built over several years with hard work, comradeship & the wish to help others, (that happened by accident, but we,the members are proud that 'anyone', with or without a religious leaning, will be helped in many ways, quietly and without fuss, and most often without anyone knowing, because we as a site care), please do not ruin by your narrow views what is open to the whole world, no matter what faith or creed, by bringing your useless, views to our notice.

Although our members sometimes get a touch hot under the collar about, such things as terrorism, tax or dole fiddling, we maintain an open forum, in which friends of any race, colour or creed can put forward their view.

Could you imagine the outcry if one of our members was to start a theread,

'Voting for Islam in Politics'

or

'Voting for Jews in politics'

We as a site would re-act against them as we are doing towards you! Please stop you're prejudice, we are happy as we are.


__________________
“I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me.”

Winnie the Pooh


June 23, 2016 the day democracy in Britain and Europe was killed off.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 15:09   #68
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Voting for Christians in Politics > Reply to Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ross View Post
Our natural disposition is to sin
Speak for yourself, but please don't include me in your skewed observation.

Personally I've found the many members of Accy Web I've met, and those I haven't, have shown themselves to be naturally kind, and helpful, and certainly not fighting some natural urge to be sinful.

As posted earlier, if you intend to use this forum to preach to us all, you are failing woefully in getting any support for your cause.

Happily, because you're so bad at garnering backing for the odious Mr. Logan, I applaud your efforts.

God moves in mysterious ways, and seems to have sent you to increase the chance of Mr. Logan losing his deposit, and that gladdens this 'sinner's' heart.

__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 15:20   #69
Super Moderator


 
Wynonie Harris's Avatar
 

Re: Kingston Canada > Not in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ross View Post
Now my concern is to continue seeing Jesus bless Accrington.
That's all very well, but do you think he could have a word with the HMRC?
__________________
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 15:50   #70
Senior Member
 
bullseyebarb's Avatar
 

Re: Voting for Christian in Politics

Wow. What a debut! I had no idea that the Almighty could elicit such passion in The County Palatine.

Got to agree with garinda. This is not the way to attract support for your candidate. Facta, non verba. Just live your faith and lead by example. We can do without the megaphone.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 17:46   #71
Give, give, give member
 
garinda's Avatar
 

Re: Voting for Christians in Politics > Reply to Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ross View Post
Our natural disposition is to sin

Talking of sin, natural or unnatural, I'd like to share a little parable of my own...

It came to pass in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty seven, that I felt compelled to help someone less fortunate than myself.

With the help of a charitable agency I became a Buddy (friend/helper/carer) to a wretched soul. This person had been ostracised from their family, and shunned by their neighbours, because they were suffering from some terrible disease.

At the same time a foolish man was making proclamations that this disease had been sent from God to purge the world of sinners. Sinners who abused narcotics, or lay with members of their own gender.

This greatly confused this poor and sickly person.

They didn't feel as if they were a sinner. They'd married their spouse in a holy place, and had only ever lay with their spouse, and had no carnal knowledge of anyone other than that spouse.

Sadly, this poor woman's husband, thinking he was safe from this disease, because a supposed holy man said it would only attack those sinners who were abusing narcotics, or who lay with members of their own sex, had adulterous relationships with fallen women, from far and wide.

Sadly this women's husband passed away, leaving her totally alone and isolated. Confused as to why God had inflicted this burden on her, when she wasn't one of the chosen sinners.

With great courage and dignity, the poor woman passed away the following year, still at a loss as to understand why she'd been killed by a disease that only affected sinners....at least according to the then Rev. Kevin Logan.

The moral of the story?

There are sins and acts of evil carried out every day, some by those who choose to hide behind religious masks.

Amen.
__________________
'If you're going to be a Kant, be the very best Kant there is my son.'
Johann Georg Kant, father of Immanuel Kant, philosopher.






garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 18:12   #72
Bearded but Sober member

 
Restless's Avatar
 

Re: Voting for Christians in Politics > Reply to Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ross View Post

Our natural disposition is to sin
Oh my but what is 'sin' its the rules we make for ourselves.

Like the 10 commandments...(discounting the few worship me bollocks ones)

Honor your father and mother - Not for everbody. Those that was born into a family of really bad parenting will probally never honor their parents. As for me i do this anyway because i love my mum and dad NOT BECAUSE GOD TOLD ME TO

You shall not murder - well it just feels right to me not to do this... It really does. Why? because its wrong NOT BECAUSE GOD TOLD NOT TO

You shall not commit adultery - Well if i love somebody enough i wont do this NOT BECAUSE GOD TOLD NOT TO

You shall not steal
- I pride myself on being an honest person. I struggle everyday through life to pay for my well being. Somehow i make it. I dont steal because its wrong. NOT BECAUSE GOD TOLD NOT TO

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
- Again i pride myself on being honest & I dont know my neighbours. 1) is a guy that is so odd all his windows are blacked out by blankets, he comes and goes through the back door and his garden is DISGUSTING 2) other way are Asians and i dont think they care about Cristianity BOLD TEXT BECAUSE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY AT THIS POINT

You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
- Wait, Isn't this the same as adultery... Oh no wait. We haven't to even 'think' about our neighour's wife either way.

SEE ABOVE FOR WHY I DONT COVET MY NEIGHBOURS WIFE...(really i think its pretty obvious)

You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor
- damn it i really waNT that HD 50'' LCD televison


So what is sin its basically a bunch of bad things that ANY DECENT PERSON SHOULD'NT DO NO MATTER WHAT 'GOD' SAYS IS WRONG

stuff it
.
__________________

Last edited by Restless; 30-10-2009 at 18:15.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 18:36   #73
God Member
 
Eric's Avatar
 

Re: Kingston Canada > Not in the Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ross View Post
Hi,
Welcome.
It seems you see "trees standing". My point is that although Canada may not be in the Bible but Jesus came to save Canadians. Now my concern is to continue seeing Jesus bless Accrington.
You see that Kingston "falls short of the glory of God". Fine. There will be no earthly city that reaches that standard. However that does not excuse me from trying to make Kingston a better place (if thats what people there want).
I dont think jesus should make an exception of citizens of Kingston and deny them salvation?
Yours sincerely,
Alex
Canadians can take care of themselves ... all of us, Europeans, Asians, First Nations (who subscribe to a spirituality that I sometimes feel attracted to), whether we speak Cree, English, French, Manderin, G'wcihen or whatever ...

I agree with Barb (this must be the third of fourth time I've done this); lose the megaphone ... join in the general debate, but don't try to hijack it by assuming that your positioin brooks no rational argument or rebuttal.

There is a little verse from the First World War; I hope Retlaw will correct me if I get it wrong:

Gott straffe England;
God Save the King;
God do this, God do that;
God do everything.
Good God! said God;
I've got my work cut out.

I would argue that God takes a lot of time off work: 1914-1918, and 1939-1945 were just two examples ... it's not surprising that many historians view the First World War as the beginning of the period of decline of organized religion as a force in people's daily lives, particularly in Europe.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 18:50   #74
Senior Member
 
Guinness's Avatar
 
Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Voting for Christian in Politics

Following on from Garinda's graphic tale :-

Couple of paedophiles in Scotland were jailed yesterday, one of the offences they committed concerned a baby between (and I quote) 'birth to the age of four years'.

One of these despicable dregs of humanity was HIV positive....

The innocent in this could end up HIV positive too.

Therefore the 'Thicker Vicar' considers this innocent a sinner who God is purging from the face of the earth

(Apologies but the 'Rev Kev' thing seems too disarming)

Why am I thinking hitler / holocaust as I write this?
__________________
The only problem drinker is the one that doesn't stand his round
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 19:14   #75
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Voting for Christian in Politics

So it seems that Rev Kev might get one vote at least......but it won't be mine, for the reasons I have outlined in the previous thread about this subject.
__________________
Stop wearing a wishbone where your backbone should be.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:04.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.50305 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1