Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2015, 10:48   #61
Beacon of light

Re: Water contamination (Lancashire)

Yes of course what you say is true, but you must realise that investors don't only draw money out...or get paid dividends, but they put money into the utilities....and much of the pipework should have been dealt with when it was in public ownership......but the fact was...it wasn't. Mainly because governments didn't want to spend money on such things.
You have to have a balanced view...you cannot tar all investors with the same brush....there MAY be millionaires making money, but there are also very many little people like me, who rely on investments done by fund managers of pension companies to ensure that our pensions make life worth living.....and you are right....no-one cares about pensions until it is time to get one......then it matters far more than many people realise.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2015, 18:36   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
aye but no children in em,surely adults know better? if not they aint fit to be in em.
They have kids in them as well. Schools have things going on in the holidays
Old 28-08-2015, 12:16   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Thinking on exactly the same lines as you DinG - I wonder how many people on here have ever been to Blackpool and drunk tap water?

Me I love me Lancashire tea.
Old 28-08-2015, 12:22   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
They have kids in them as well. Schools have things going on in the holidays
What percentage of the normal are these kids in em? nowhere near a full school i bet, can the adults in these schools not even educate a few? I'm beginning to wonder the line your taking Neil.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 28-08-2015, 20:09   #65
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What percentage of the normal are these kids in em? nowhere near a full school i bet, can the adults in these schools not even educate a few? I'm beginning to wonder the line your taking Neil.
Only that he was laughing at the spokesperson saying "Don't they know it's school holidays". Obviously the spokesperson knows the schools are open during the holidays.
Old 28-08-2015, 21:00   #66
Senior Member+

Wouldn't it be up to each school whether they were open or closed, not LCC?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 16:12   #67
Senior Member+

Looks like United Utilties have decided to start paying out:-

Lancashire water bug: Compensation of up to £60 'a disgrace', says MP - BBC News

I can kinda understand £60 for a residential property but for business's that have lost thousands £60 is a bit of a joke imo.
I guess it shows how much the shareholders think of those folk who have been effected by this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 20:40   #68
God Member

Quote:
Paul Maynard, Conservative MP for Blackpool North and Cleveleys, warned United Utilities: "I would be very disappointed if [customers] receive a cheque for this amount only for their bills to go up by the same amount next year.
more or less what i said they will do

give with one hand and take away with the other

a bit like politicians such as himself do

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 16:48   #69
Resting in Peace

Just ran the cold tap and the water has a brown tinge to it anyone else got this ?
I am in the BB5 area
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 19:13   #70
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Just ran the cold tap and the water has a brown tinge to it anyone else got this ?
I am in the BB5 area
Mick you can get that if the Fire Brigade have been using a hydrant near you, the sudden fast flow of water trough a hydrant can stir the Sh1tte that sticks to the walls of the mains, its mostly brown algae.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 19:25   #71
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
last week the local rag said water from manure from farms in blackburn had got into the system

chlorine might not be able to kill it as they say but it shouldnt have got in to the system in the first place

personally i dont think they know themselves how its happened and they certainly dont seem to know how to fix it
It must hve been one hell of dump to contaminate so many millions of gallons of water. If gas and lecky leaked like water we would have been blown to ell and back and some of the gas and leck pipe work is near as old as water mains, in some places older. Sheer incompetence in most cases. Its about time some one in power decided just how much profit these utilities need to make to operate efficiently, and then force them to stick to that, and less of the variable tariffs, its all travelling down the same wires and pipes.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:07   #72
Resting in Peace

Thanks Retlow looked it up on there website
It's now running clear again
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 15:01   #73

Your bills have just been agreed upon for the next 5 years, so they will not go up to cover this.
In 5 years maybe....

If you have been boiling your drinking water for the past few weeks it is unlikely that you actually spent £60 on electricity.
See https://blog.npower.com/2013/02/ever...s-cost-to-run/
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 15:17   #74
Beacon of light

You may not have spent £60 on the electricity, but what about the time and effort involved.
I f you normally just turn on the tap for a drink of cold water, then you cannot just do that, the water has to be boiled, allowed to go cold and then chilled......cleaning your teeth too....you have to boil the water or buy the bottled stuff.
It is the inconvenience that is caused as well.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..