Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By dotti34
  • 2 Post By Less
  • 2 Post By taddy
  • 3 Post By monkey hanger
  • 2 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 2 Post By monkey hanger
  • 3 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2021, 07:18   #1

What next...

Yes, I know this is an Australian thing, but I thought I’d share it with you and ask what you think about it. Over here there are of course, as is the case in the UK, numerous reasons for an employee to be entitled to take (paid) time off. However, it is the push for the latest one that I must tell you about. PETernity. That’s right – entitlement to paid leave if a pet is sick or needs some sort of attention – even two days off when introducing a new pet to the family.

Now I do know how much their pets mean to people (been there, done that) but honestly! One comment made by a person pushing for 'pet leave' was that people can get paid time off if their child is sick so why not if their dog or cat is. This man didn’t seem to think it would apply to goldfish but maybe it could extend to rabbits! When asked why not just take a day off annual leave the reply was ‘that’s if you have any left’. I think the main emphasis here is on the ‘paid’ part.

Probably some of you will say that as their pet is an important part of the family this sort of leave should be a given, but I did check the date and it isn’t April 1st, which if it had been would have explained it to me – that’s what I think about it.

As I said, this is in Australia – where any excuse for a day off is par for the course. (Please don’t tell me you already have Peternity Leave over there).
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2021, 08:07   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: What next...

Going to hell in a handcart seems an appropriate way to describe the latest batch of so called 'responsible' adults the world over.

cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:05   #3
God Member

whats really wrong in what most of us did in the so called old days. keep your holidays back when your partner came home with a new baby or take a couple of days of these holiday if you bring a new puppy home. its getting to the state now where if you have nothing better to do you,d go into work for the odd day.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 10:42   #4

From leaving school at fifteen to retiring at sixty three I was always on the lookout for a job where I would have to work for one hour a day with two half hour tea breaks.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 10:50   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
From leaving school at fifteen to retiring at sixty three I was always on the lookout for a job where I would have to work for one hour a day with two half hour tea breaks.
you must have missed local council vacancies.
Old 27-05-2021, 11:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
you must have missed local council vacancies.

What happened to all those foreman who used to keep an eye on the workmen who stood round holes in the road to make sure that they were leaning on their shovels in the correct manner?
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 11:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
What happened to all those foreman who used to keep an eye on the workmen who stood round holes in the road to make sure that they were leaning on their shovels in the correct manner?
They still do it but times move on, they now sit in a comfortable office and watch on CCTV.
Old 27-05-2021, 11:48   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we love pets but honestly i have never heard nowt as stupid as this in my life.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 28-05-2021, 08:46   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
we love pets but honestly i have never heard nowt as stupid as this in my life.
well you might in 7 days time when the hard of thinking dream up more stupidity that they,d like us to follow.
Old 29-05-2021, 08:55   #10
God Member

Quote:
well you might in 7 days time when the hard of thinking dream up more stupidity that they,d like us to follow.
did not have to wait long. the RSPB have appologised for saying male birds are larger than the female variety. they were accused of being sexist.
Less and taddy like this.
Old 30-05-2021, 00:05   #11

I thought the Australian animal rights group (PETA I think) are the craziest as they want farmers caught up in the mouse plague that is decimating crops not to kill the billions of mice but to trap them and release them somewhere else. Why do so many people around the world listen to and take loonies seriously ? - be it those cretins, BLM, trans binary , hickory dickory dock and all other loony tune tiny minority views and opinions and mini-mobs?
cashman, taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 08:32   #12

Yes, Jimmy Clitheroe, it was PETA that said the mice have a right to food...and that (and I quote) 'they should be gently caught and released unharmed'. I'd like to see PETA try to 'gently' catch the many, many, thousands of mice that are causing countless damage for farmers. PETA said that (and again I quote) 'mice have a right to food because of the dangerous notion of human supremacy'. Can I hear you all laughing...
taddy likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 08:51   #13
God Member

another one. young kids somewhere were told that jesus was bi and a tranny because he wore a dress and said we should love all others. do we want our children, no matter what we think of religeon, being taught by utter clowns like that. her job should be in some charity shop somewhere at best. will anything be done about her and her views. doubt it, if she had talked about proper old family values that would be another matter though.
taddy likes this.
Old 30-05-2021, 09:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Can I hear you all laughing...
I'm not laughing, I'm past that stage can no longer cry tear, ducts are swollen and overworked, I'm just sitting calmly in my easy chair smoking a fag and wishing it was 11 o'clock so I can go for a drink and meet other people that no longer give a damn!
(only 55 minutes to go and it's a wonderful sunny day).
Old 30-05-2021, 11:07   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
young kids somewhere were told that jesus was bi and a tranny because he wore a dress and said we should love all others.

Would love to hear the Catholic churches response to that one. The Proddydogs on the other hand are all probably nodding their heads in agreement.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..