Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2020, 10:45   #31
Beacon of light

Re: when all this is over....

Isn't it good when you find out something by 'accident'.....although I prefer the term 'serendipity'.
Like you I have learned some things....I will NEVR buy M&S half bloomer ever again...it is crap tastes like cardboard andleft me feeling cheated.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2020, 11:14   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we dont buy much these days from M.@S. think its gone well downhill.still check out the clothes though, they aint as good but still better than most.
Old 14-04-2020, 13:30   #33
Beacon of light

You are right Cashy....we used to buy a load of stuff, but not anymore.
Not even keen on the threads either....overpriced and the quality is questionable
Old 15-04-2020, 09:08   #34
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1239147]I
Like you I have learned some things....I will NEVR buy M&S half bloomer ever again...

thought at first you were giving us all a clue about your underwear.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 10:03   #35
Beacon of light

It would only be about underwear if there was an 's' on the bloomer Monkey Hanger
Old 15-04-2020, 10:11   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
think it could go one way or another for me. go to a local over 50,s club with about 20 odd turning up. think there could be more or less turning up once it kicks off again. people do get out of the habit of doing things no matter what they are. will we all go out shopping again as we used to do. will we still have days out. will some realize there is life away from pubs. will be an interesting few months when we do get back to normal.
I won't be thinking of life away from pubs, it may suit you to mix only with over 50's however I would much rather be with a crowd of people of all ages, younger people are far more fun than the run of the mill coffin dodgers that have forgotten that life is for living.
dotti34 likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 10:19   #37
Beacon of light

Only some coffin dodgers have forgotten how to have fun.
When I used to go away with Ma, I met some very lively coffin dodgers.....they loved to dance, and to have singalongs and to tell risqué jokes too.
Oh yes and they drank and took drugs too(but only the ones that kept their tickers, ticking)

I think you might be mixing with the wrong coffin dodgers Less.
dotti34 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 15-04-2020, 10:27   #38
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Only some coffin dodgers have forgotten how to have fun.
When I used to go away with Ma, I met some very lively coffin dodgers.....they loved to dance, and to have singalongs and to tell risqué jokes too.

I think you might be mixing with the wrong coffin dodgers Less.
Perhaps I am, though I doubt it, I'm certainly NOT mixing with coffin dodgers that exclude the younger members of society by gathering with those over a certain age, as I say life is for living this isolation has shown me that I miss people of all ages and I can't wait to getting back to the banter produced over a glass or two of liquid amber shared in a bar of mixed ages.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 13:03   #39
Beacon of light

All power to your elbow Less....and let's hope we don't have to wait too long.
Old 16-04-2020, 10:03   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps I am, though I doubt it, I'm certainly NOT mixing with coffin dodgers that exclude the younger members of society by gathering with those over a certain age, as I say life is for living this isolation has shown me that I miss people of all ages and I can't wait to getting back to the banter produced over a glass or two of liquid amber shared in a bar of mixed ages.
neither of us are drinkers and finding pubs without any sort of music isn,t easy anyway. doubt a 50 odd year old anyway classes themselves as a coffin dodger anyway. in fact someone like me in my early 70,s who break the 1 hour exercise regime every day{have a husky and you know you have to do** and referee football twice a week when it was possible does not either. prefer folk myself in my own age group due to having similar opinions anyway. the thought of being in company of those who get upset if nothing is upsetting em would make me wish this so called lockdown would last forever. as usual its each to their own and what suits them.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 11:12   #41

When all this is over I wonder if the birds will return. Background noise is a strange thing you tend not to notice it unless it goes away, and there have many reports mentioning the reduction of background noise since the lockdown started. Where I live its normally fairly quiet no blaring radios/TVs etc, just some traffic noise from the village’s through road about 100 yards away, some domestic activity gardening, diy, children etc, and the birds.

When the lockdown started the noise level dropped and it was really noticeable, very much like a Christmas Day morning. At first it was quite nice but as the days went on it became slightly disconcerting it was SO quiet. Just over a fortnight ago the penny dropped it was actually quieter than Christmas because there was no bird song/noise.

Since then I have been on the lookout and I have only seen one bird and that was when driving to the supermarket. I’ve got up at or before dawn several times and there is no dawn chorus here. When I am using the bathroom there is nothing from the trees at the back where there are normally a couple of nests. Most significantly my car is not being redecorated by the sh** hawks, normally this is virtually a daily occurrence.

Now I am not suggesting that anything nasty has happened to these birds but they have obviously changed their habits and gone elsewhere. There have been reports of other animals changing their habits (goats wandering around Llandudno, foxes much more visible in urban areas etc.) all of which make obvious sense, but I cannot think why the birds that are normally here are now somewhere else. Anybody noticed anything similar?
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 11:15   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

funny that mate, its no different at all where we are, plenty of birds as usual chirping away.
Old 16-04-2020, 11:31   #43

Enjoying the dawn chorus here.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 12:19   #44
Beacon of light

The birds are loud around us too.
There are two birds that start calling to each other before it gets light.
I think they might be blackbirds because their song is very melodic.
Also over the last couple of weeks I have been wakened early doors by birds scuttering along my troughing.
Old 16-04-2020, 16:35   #45
Beacon of light

Well....we can be assured of at least three more weeks of this.
So believe me when I tell you....I am going to look like a highland cow....without the horns(oh, I don't know though).....not only that there will be a queue of ladies all the way down Church street waiting for their turn to be shorn.
I might have to wear a bag on my head.....hey, now that's an idea!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..