Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2013, 09:17   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: World Maths Day Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Just labelling it as algebra doesn`t make it more complicated, it`s just a simple example of how we use it everyday without knowing it.
Algebra is basically arithmatic where the unknown number is in the wrong place.
2+1=? is just basic arithmatic
2+?=3 is basic algebra.
Just in school, they teach with letters first, then tell you what to swap the letters with to get the answer.
a+b=c
if a=2 and c=3, what is b.
If I have a £20 note and beer is £4 a pint I'll buy 5 pints not algebra about it, if you know the two sums of money why complicate the matter, I can do that sum in my head without turning it into a spelling Bee
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2013, 09:20   #92
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
a=b X c
a is known, b is known, you want to know c.
So you divide both sides by c.
a/c=b X c / c
The X c/c cancel each other out and you get
a/c=b
It can be done with ordinary divide as sugar mentioned, so we wouldn't need to use algebra for such a simplistic sum.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:22   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It can be done with ordinary divide as sugar mentioned, so we wouldn't need to use algebra for such a simplistic sum.
Exactly Less, especially where ales concerned
Old 21-03-2013, 09:26   #94
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

This thread has gone totally nuts as far as i'm concerned.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:39   #95
Senior Member+

Just because you don`t want to call it algebra, doesn`t mean that`s not what it is.

Introduction to Algebra
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:40   #96
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
As I said my being not good at Maths became such a huge deal in my family, if I sound like a 'diva' I apologise but I was actually scared of it-I never dare even ask a teacher if I was stuck because I felt so bad about myself for being bad at it and thought the teacher would shout at me and think I was stupid.

I excelled in English and other subjects so I just concentrated on those and hid away in Maths classes pretending I wasn't there lol.
I can understand your fear of Maths . It's very much a black and white thing . The answer to a calculation is either right or wrong , and this transfers into all branches of Maths .

In English , however , it is not so black and white . There are shades of grey . If you write a poem there is no right or wrong marking at the end of it as there is in Maths .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 09:48   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I can understand your fear of Maths . It's very much a black and white thing . The answer to a calculation is either right or wrong , and this transfers into all branches of Maths .

In English , however , it is not so black and white . There are shades of grey . If you write a poem there is no right or wrong marking at the end of it as there is in Maths .
Which is why I hated English so much, you write an essay or poem and you get a crap mark, someone sat next to you gets a good mark and there`s no definite answer as to why.
Just theres is better.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:53   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just because you don`t want to call it algebra, doesn`t mean that`s not what it is.

Introduction to Algebra
your flogging a dead horse mate, I've never used algebra since the day I left school no matter how you try to dress it up, plus, minus, multiplication and division has always been find by me, why try and complicated a simple exercise
Old 21-03-2013, 10:05   #99
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Introduction to Algebra
It can be proved using algebra, but then why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:12   #100
Senior Member+

The point I was making, you use it without realising you are using it.
susie123 likes this.
Old 21-03-2013, 14:50   #101

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Calculate 'x' using the following formula as base :-

t+a=x

Where 't' is the number of threads, 'a' is the number of Accyweb members and 'x' is the number of ensuing disagreements (please note for the purpose of this calculation pedantry, semantics, grammar police and downright grumpiness should be discounted as the resultant would be ∞+1 )

p.s. show all workings in the margin
Less, jaysay and Sunflower49 like this.
Old 21-03-2013, 17:22   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Calculate 'x' using the following formula as base :-

t+a=x

Where 't' is the number of threads, 'a' is the number of Accyweb members and 'x' is the number of ensuing disagreements (please note for the purpose of this calculation pedantry, semantics, grammar police and downright grumpiness should be discounted as the resultant would be ∞+1 )

p.s. show all workings in the margin
Thanks Guinness, for brightening my day, classic
Old 21-03-2013, 17:43   #103
Senior Member+

Quote:
At that price, it can only be the rocket fuel in the greyhound.
No, how about Moorhouses Pride of Pendle? I like that one but they have about another 5 'real ales', all good ones. New ones in regularly.

Checked today(purely for research you understand), they haven't knocked the penny off, still £2.10 so I only had one pint.

What's 'rocket fuel'? Some sort of cider?

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 21-03-2013 at 17:47.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:11   #104
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
No, how about Moorhouses Pride of Pendle? I like that one but they have about another 5 'real ales', all good ones. New ones in regularly.

Checked today(purely for research you understand), they haven't knocked the penny off, still £2.10 so I only had one pint.

What's 'rocket fuel'? Some sort of cider?
Moorhouses Pride of Pendle? Must admit I hadn't noticed that one, Gordon. Will give it a try on Easter Monday!
Old 21-03-2013, 18:14   #105
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Moorhouses Pride of Pendle? Must admit I hadn't noticed that one, Gordon. Will give it a try on Easter Monday!
Its a nice drink Wyn tried it when I popped over to the Talbot in Burnley last year very tasty

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..