Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   World Maths Day Today (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/world-maths-day-today-63724.html)

jaysay 06-03-2013 08:59

World Maths Day Today

According to the morning news today is World Maths Day, we all know that English wasn't my best subject at school, but I wasn't too bad at maths, one thing I could never understand is why in my school days did they pay so much attention to teaching Algebra, not once since leaving school have I ever come across the need to use it once, anybody feel the same. I've used maths a lot in my job and Trigonometry as well, that's all about nangles as we called um in them days. What was your take on maths and your usage of it when leaving school

Margaret Pilkington 06-03-2013 10:24

Re: World Maths Day Today

I was abysmal at Maths.....algebra, logarithms...they made no sense to me at all...and like you John I have never found anywhere in my life where what they taught me(and I so diligently ignored)would have been any use at all.
I can do the basis stuff....add, subtract, multiply divide.....percentages and fractions....but that is where my expertise(if you can call it that) ends.

Eric 06-03-2013 10:32

Didn't get a good start in algebra ... my first teacher was E. J. "Gobbin" Owen. His classes, as some others on here may remember, were a literal riot.;) Now I look at math ... well, let me put it this way: math is one of the strongest arguments for intelligent design in the universe. In my next life, I think I will be a mathematician ... Oh, and rich and irresistible to women:alright:

Less 06-03-2013 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1045282)
Didn't get a good start in algebra ... my first teacher was E. J. "Gobbin" Owen. His classes, as some others on here may remember, were a literal riot.;) Now I look at math ... well, let me put it this way: math is one of the strongest arguments for intelligent design in the universe. In my next life, I think I will be a mathematician ... Oh, and rich and irresistible to women:alright:

Just done a quick formula working on the above statement,

If E=Eric
and $=cash with I= irresistibly to woman then when using a short formula which I won't bore you with
Eric does come back in another Lifetime but the answer works out to be a negative in one of his desires.
Yes, to being rich, an absolute yes, to irresistibly to woman, unfortunately the formula proves that he comes back female and a nymphomaniac.

Who says algebra is of no use?
:o

Less 06-03-2013 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1045288)

If E=Eric
and $=cash with I= irresistibly to woman then when using a short formula which I won't bore you with
Eric does come back in another Lifetime but the answer works out to be a negative in one of his desires.
Yes, to being rich, an absolute yes, to irresistibly to woman, unfortunately the formula proves that he comes back female and a nymphomaniac.

The above proves that maths is like one of C'mons posts, you can get it to say anything if you offer no proof!
:D

Eric 06-03-2013 11:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1045288)

If E=Eric

A black, female nympho, eh. Might not be a bad idea.;)

Tiresias - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Retlaw 06-03-2013 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1045252)
According to the morning news today is World Maths Day, we all know that English wasn't my best subject at school, but I wasn't too bad at maths, one thing I could never understand is why in my school days did they pay so much attention to teaching Algebra, not once since leaving school have I ever come across the need to use it once, anybody feel the same. I've used maths a lot in my job and Trigonometry as well, that's all about nangles as we called um in them days. What was your take on maths and your usage of it when leaving school

Eyup John, dus 2 an 2 still mek 4.
All I ever new wur mi times tables.
When I was at school there was a war on, an the idiot that was suposed to teach us maths spent more time with large maps hanging on the blackboard, explaining Montgomery & Rommels tactics, so whe I left school I knew very little about fancy sums, had quite a few ready reckoners and charts in my tool box.
Then along came Sinclair and his DIY calculator kits.

accyman 06-03-2013 13:34

are you sure its today

i looked in my diary and it just dosnt add up

Eric 07-03-2013 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1045296)
are you sure its today

i looked in my diary and it just dosnt add up

I think it was yesterday ... and the day before yesterday it was tomorrow.;)

jaysay 07-03-2013 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1045378)

Its certainly not today:D

DtheP47 07-03-2013 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1045378)

My pal Walter had a saying " The older I get the better I Was" ;)

maxthecollie 07-03-2013 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1045282)

yeh Gobbin taught me as well

jaysay 07-03-2013 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1045442)
yeh Gobbin taught me as well

Wasn't Reece Owen was it Frank

maxthecollie 07-03-2013 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1045453)
Wasn't Reece Owen was it Frank

No Reece Owen taught Chemistry

jaysay 07-03-2013 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 1045462)
No Reece Owen taught Chemistry

Cheers Frank