Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2006, 11:27   #16
God Member

Re: Xmas cancelled for Farepak customers

Just seen this, http://orange.co.uk/news/quirkies/18...wsquirkyfriday

perhaps you girls want to get together, we'll see if we can find a photographer brave^h^h^h^h willing enough to donate their time

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2006, 15:32   #17
Foreign Correspondent

I can feel sympathy for the folks who were simply trying to ensure that they would have funds available for the holidays. I'm not a fan of this sort of program, but I am a fan of folks who want to provide their families a decent holiday celebration.

Many of our banks here in the USA offer Christmas Club programs. Customers make regular payments throughout the year (or have it taken directly out of their pay), and the bank pays interest. A couple of advantages are that these accounts are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, so that there is virtually no chance of losing one's money, and the accounts pay a modest amount of interest (if there is an emergency and funds are withdrawn early, the interest if forfeited, which provides a mild discouragement for early withdrawals). Seems like a better program than the hamper scheme. I favor any program that encourages folks to think about saving and/or investing.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 15:53   #18
God Member

all i can say is i'm glad ive only got one child, i really feel for the people who have more than one and have lost all there money
Old 21-11-2006, 19:23   #19
God Member

Quick update for you, found teh following info

http://www.findel.co.uk/corpsocresp.htm

Old 21-11-2006, 19:27   #20
God Member

Findel own Express Gifts as well.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 19:28   #21
God Member

yep, rather a strange tale as to how I found that link

Old 21-11-2006, 19:30   #22
Junior Member+

i saw in the sun today that they were giving some money to the people who lost out on there xmas savings...its just a shame that it had to happen....
will have to start stuffing the matress all year instead
thomas3.16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 19:31   #23
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Quick update for you, found teh following info

http://www.findel.co.uk/corpsocresp.htm
I wonder if they had Corporate Social Responsibility and the environment in mind when they built that monstrosity.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 19:35   #24
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas3.16 View Post
i saw in the sun today that they were giving some money to the people who lost out on there xmas savings...its just a shame that it had to happen....
will have to start stuffing the matress all year instead
I use to stuff the mattress, I would slip a fiver or tenner under every week, it took me three months to realise that she had been stripping the bed each week.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 19:39   #25
Resting in peace

[quote]will have to start stuffing the matress all year instead[quote]Makes more sense than risking it with Farepak, were money is concerned you can not trust anyone.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 22:44   #26
God Member

How many banks will take £2 over the counter? Not many you have to have minimum deposit. I've said it before Credit unions will take any amount of money up to a certain amount. You will get paid a dividend as well. The thing is credit unions are under the guiding thumb of the FSA so your money is safe. They also do loans and there is one in Hyndburn now because Haslingden & Helmshore Credit Union extended their boundary and became the HHH Credit Union - Haslingden, Helmshore and Hyndburn Credit Union. You save as much as you want when you want and you can also get loans. Thats how i used to pay my car insurance - because you had to pay extra to pay by direct debit so i'd get a loan and pay it up front and then pay it back over the year. I know the Credit Unions in Rossendale if you have been affected by Farepak if you take the details that you had with you to the credit union they will offer you a loan to tide you over christmas.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2006, 01:33   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
How many banks will take £2 over the counter? Not many you have to have minimum deposit. I've said it before Credit unions will take any amount of money up to a certain amount. You will get paid a dividend as well. The thing is credit unions are under the guiding thumb of the FSA so your money is safe. They also do loans and there is one in Hyndburn now because Haslingden & Helmshore Credit Union extended their boundary and became the HHH Credit Union - Haslingden, Helmshore and Hyndburn Credit Union. You save as much as you want when you want and you can also get loans. Thats how i used to pay my car insurance - because you had to pay extra to pay by direct debit so i'd get a loan and pay it up front and then pay it back over the year. I know the Credit Unions in Rossendale if you have been affected by Farepak if you take the details that you had with you to the credit union they will offer you a loan to tide you over christmas.
nice to see some useful and positive info shillelagh.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2006, 13:23   #28
God Member

Found teh following info

Barclays donates to Farepak fund

23 November 2006

Following the collapse of Christmas savings firm Farepak earlier this month, Barclays has donated £250,000 to the Farepak Response Fund as a gesture of goodwill.

Customers who paid money to Farepak using their Barclays or Woolwich debit card or Barclaycard can make a claim to get their money back through the various industry-wide chargeback schemes.

So far Barclays has refunded more than £15,000 to customers.

Cardholders who have a claim are advised to call these numbers:

Barclays Debit Card holders - 01604 254689
Woolwich Debit Card holders - 0870 166 0060
Barclaycard holders - 0870 1540154

Old 23-11-2006, 13:28   #29
Senior Member+

Woolworths have donated £50,000 going towards some kind of "compensation" for the farepak customers
Old 23-11-2006, 14:05   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Woolworths have donated £50,000 going towards some kind of "compensation" for the farepak customers

and so have many other companies,but we won't be getting anything before xmas, which is when its needed

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..