Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2020, 09:49   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: You have an unread message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
nooooooooooo!
How can you not do it with video guidance Cashy?
easy cos it dont do what the video says.
Old 31-12-2020, 12:39   #17
Beacon of light

oh well at least I feel better knowing that.
I don't know because I do not have microsoft edge...but |i am told that this browser is IE in a different cloak...or that is what an IT bod told me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:51   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
oh well at least I feel better knowing that.
I don't know because I do not have microsoft edge...but |i am told that this browser is IE in a different cloak...or that is what an IT bod told me.
thing is i switched to this margaret cos i was missing some stanley matches on firefox this one i am not
Old 31-12-2020, 13:05   #19
Beacon of light

Why can’t you run both browsers?
Edge for the footie...Firefox for everything else....or there are other browsers.
Old 31-12-2020, 17:10   #20

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1248500]It is a scam, the only way I have got rid of it in the past is to delete the stuff in my history (or empty the Cache).....I am aware that you are a Luddite and might struggle to empty your cache...so google how to do it Taddy.
I would explain it but I am not sure if you would be able to follow my instructions

Oh , I love it, "delete the stuff in my history (or empty my cache);as you rightly say I do not have an idea of what the H--- you are on about, am I right in thinking that as long as I don't click on it, then I will be O.K.?
Time for a hobgoblin, I think.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 18:29   #21
Beacon of light

It will keep popping up until you get rid of the cookies(non edible...not biscuits either) that your computer stores.(it is more of an irritant than a danger...well, as long as you don’t Open it
What browser do you use(yes...I know that might be a daft question).....Taddy you really should get some education under your belt.
taddy likes this.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:10   #22
God Member

Quote:
....Taddy you really should get some education under your belt.
better sticking to your favourite tipple taddy. i went on a 6 week tuesday afternoon computer course on a one to one basis but ended up more confused than i was on the first day. once i drove the 4 miles home i had forgotton what i had learned. in life there are things you may never master and it ends up costing you for your efforts. home DIY is another for me.
taddy likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:39   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
better sticking to your favourite tipple taddy. i went on a 6 week tuesday afternoon computer course on a one to one basis but ended up more confused than i was on the first day. once i drove the 4 miles home i had forgotton what i had learned. in life there are things you may never master and it ends up costing you for your efforts. home DIY is another for me.

Maybe you had a rubbish teacher.
someone who did not test your understanding of what you had been shown.
No-one taught me anything about computers...well, no not exactly true I was sent on a half daya course from work to learn 'Mouse Skills' I hadn't the heart to tell the girl teaching me that I could use a mouse very well.
She just thought her teaching skills were very good because I 'picked it up' very fast.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:40   #24
Beacon of light

My other half went on one of those courses and I think he went twice....but to be honest I am glad he did not ake to it.....I don't want him sharing my computer and mucking it up.
Old 01-01-2021, 13:15   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Maybe you had a rubbish teacher.
No-one taught me anything about computers...well, no not exactly true I was sent on a half daya course from work to learn 'Mouse Skills' I hadn't the heart to tell the girl teaching me that I could use a mouse very well.
She just thought her teaching skills were very good because I 'picked it up' very fast.
not really if his memory is like mine i would have forgot by the time i got home also.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:20   #26

On the subject of scams, something else that we have to be aware of is that not all emails are actually from the person whose name appears on them as the sender.

I know most are legit but if you get one from someone that maybe you haven’t heard from for a while, or don’t hear from often, just be cautious. I have had several. For example, the other day I received an email supposedly from a man I haven’t corresponded with for 12 years. We were in touch over some family research at the time but exhausted whatever information we could help each other with and that was the end of the emailing between us.

For me to get an email from him out of the blue like that somehow didn’t stack up and so I checked the remainder of the email address and sure enough it was not his and so must have been a scam of sorts – so I deleted it without opening it up. I did let him know that it looked as though someone had obtained email addresses from his contacts – so far haven’t had a reply, poor man probably thinks my email was a scam also….

It is a nuisance but worth the short time it takes to check if at all uncertain as we do have to be very careful not to get caught by scammers, who will try anything they can to infiltrate computing devices. My sister-in-law, who is an intelligent woman, fell for a scam on her computer and it caused no end of bother and distress.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:34   #27
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1248573]Maybe you had a rubbish teacher.

as in every field there are rubbish and excellent teachers. however for one reason or another the world of computers seem to bring out the worst in their abilities. many think you must know this or that and even think you should do. good job my driving instructor did not have a similar attitude as i,d still be waiting for buses and trains. like everything in life there is a maximum level you will ever get to in all walks of it. something the snowflakes cannot understand as well.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:53   #28
Beacon of light

I did a City and Guilds in adult education and we were taught that you had to demonstrate that there had been a change in behaviour before you could say someone had 'learned' something...you had to test the undertanding.
Testing the understanding of something just after it has been taught is flawed...it needs to be tested at a time after the session.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:27   #29

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1248548]It will keep popping up until you get rid of the cookies(non edible...not biscuits either) that your computer stores.(it is more of an irritant than a danger...well, as long as you don’t Open it
What browser do you use(yes...I know that might be a daft question).....Taddy you really should get some education under your belt.

By "what browser do you use", does this mean the little black box that sits next to the computer, (the Sky Hub), I think it is called, if so then thats what it is but I fear I have got it wrong again.never mind, happy new year to all on Accy Web
Your's, The Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:52   #30
Beacon of light

no Taddy..that is your router.
Your browser is what takes you to the internet.How you access the internet to browse
It could be Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera,Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge...there are lots of other but I do not think you would be using Tor or Sea Monkey.

All that said, I could send you a link to a 'How to' page and you still might not be able to do it....get one of your children...or grandchldren to do it for you...to show you and write it down so that you can do it yourself as needed
taddy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..