Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2014, 01:48   #1
Senior Member+

New £1 coin

A new £1 coin, designed to be the "most secure in the world", is set to be introduced in 2017.

BBC News - New £1 coin to be introduced to combat counterfeiting.

I think it's looks abit like the thruppenny bit.
Is the changing of all our machines that take £1s going to out way the cost of forgery?

While the Queen's head will be on the obverse side, the Treasury has said there will be a public competition to decide the image on the other other side? Hmmm

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2014, 03:43   #2

Re: New £1 coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

I think it's looks abit like the thruppenny bit.
Is the changing of all our machines that take £1s going to out way the cost of forgery?
The trolleys with the £1 slot at Morrisons and other supermarkets will also have to be changed.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 04:00   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
The trolleys with the £1 slot at Morrisons and other supermarkets will also have to be changed.
Maybe not, it says the new coin will be a similar size to the old one
Old 19-03-2014, 05:11   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe not, it says the new coin will be a similar size to the old one
Aye Neil, but governments say lots of things that are nowhere near the reality or truth.
Old 19-03-2014, 07:12   #5

Quote:
...Is the changing of all our machines that take £1s going to out way the cost of forgery?...
*outweigh
Accyexplorer likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:14   #6
I am Banned

The flats around the edge will be great for using a spanner on to get em out of some of my mates hands when it's their round at the Forts.

No names no pack drill !
smobile likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:25   #7
Senior Member+

I must admit the quality of fake £1 coins has certainly increased, I wonder how long it's going to be before we hear the word 'fake' attributed to these,it's got to happen.
I remember about 15 years ago the fake ones looked and felt awful and if you rubbed a real and fake one together the fake ones coulour scraped off (probably because they was done in ford cortina gold). They also sounded different if you rattled them,due to the amount of lead used but now you'd struggle to tell them apart.

I remember the £1 notes,perhaps they want to switch from paper money altogether,they tried the £5 coin I wonder how long before we see a £20 coin?

Still don't know why we put the portrait of one of the biggest 'scroungers' on our money tho, seems ironic really considering lizard liz has never earned an honest pound

password--Accyweb
Old 19-03-2014, 07:28   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The flats around the edge will be great for using a spanner on to get em out of some of my mates hands when it's their round at the Forts.
How long before the edges round off though an it becomes a old one

password--Accyweb
Old 19-03-2014, 07:42   #9
Senior Member+

I feel sorry for the blind people,they will have to get use to a different shape again.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:44   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
How long before the edges round off though an it becomes a old one
The old thruppenny bits were a marvel of geometry having the ability to roll as I recall. Some tefal head on here will tell me the geometric term I am sure. I don't recall them showing much sign of wear round the periphery AccyX.
Old 19-03-2014, 08:03   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Changing the coin mechs to take the new coins is done by electronic programming in most machines these days.
Think back about ten years or so, when the size of the 5,10,20 & 50p coins were changed, all the machines were converted almost over night.
Having said that, maybe the Gov' has actually created a few temporary jobs for someone to go around changing the mechanical ones in shopping trolleys?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 08:59   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Changing the coin mechs to take the new coins is done by electronic programming in most machines these days.
Think back about ten years or so, when the size of the 5,10,20 & 50p coins were changed, all the machines were converted almost over night.
Having said that, maybe the Gov' has actually created a few temporary jobs for someone to go around changing the mechanical ones in shopping trolleys?
If that's the case less,the costs won't outweigh the cost of forgery.
Perhaps the markets will start selling trolley tokens.
Anyway I'm off for a thruppenny

password--Accyweb
Old 19-03-2014, 09:21   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
If that's the case less,the costs won't outweigh the cost of forgery.
Perhaps the markets will start selling trolley tokens.
Anyway I'm off for a thruppenny
The circumference of the new coin will be the same as the existing £1 so they will fit and operate simple mechanisms as in a supermarket trolley so no modifications necessary.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:48   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
so they will fit and operate simple mechanisms
Slotty addicts?
Old 19-03-2014, 10:54   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Slotty addicts?
Do you remember DinG, pre euro when the old shilling (10p) coin worked in the deutsche mark slots over there? Great for phoning home on the cheap (allegedly)

Still do in some places.

Last edited by DtheP47; 19-03-2014 at 10:57.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..