Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 01:23   #1

Strange weddings

Have been reading about a wedding that didn’t take place because the groom was allegedly drunk and the Reverend who was to officiate made the decision not to let the ceremony go ahead because apparently people getting married have to be sober and know what they are doing - or some such thing. (No comments!).

It reminded me of a very strange wedding I went to years ago – the groom was a no-show as he had been arrested the night before after his buck’s night out. Had imbibed too much and been a naughty lad – think he ended up in someone’s house uninvited and was helping himself to a few goodies, or something like that, when the less-than-friendly policemen took him away and he was currently the guest at the local Police Station.

The reception hall had been booked and suitably decorated and the food and drink had all been delivered, so the bride turned up in all her finery, flowers and all, told everyone in the church to go on to the reception and all went as planned – speeches, the lot. Music and dancing. The only difference to a regular wedding was that the groom wasn’t there and the bride was still single! Very strange.

The couple were quietly married a couple of days later. Never did find out how that marriage ended up or if it lasted.

Just wonder if anyone else has some strange or funny wedding stories to tell.

Last edited by dotti34; 04-04-2014 at 01:27.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2014, 17:33   #2
I am Banned

Re: Strange weddings

Remembered reading about this one last year Dotti
"Scouser eh?"

BBC News - Hoax bomb threat bridegroom is jailed in Liverpool
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Have been reading about a wedding that didn’t take place because the groom was allegedly drunk and the Reverend who was to officiate made the decision not to let the ceremony go ahead because apparently people getting married have to be sober and know what they are doing...
Yep - it's the exact same reason alcohol isn't allowed in the ceremony if you marry at a hotel or other venue with a bar. Even the witnesses are expected to be sober enough to bear witness.

Although I always thought it was a waste of time. The drink in your hand isn't the one that's affecting your judgement, it's the one that was in your hand 30mins ago.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:35   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
apparently people getting married have to be sober and know what they are doing.
That may be the case, but not necessarily the fact.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..