Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2009, 12:13   #1

One-off plastering job

I'm living with bare walls and it's doing my head in! The two plasterers I had round to give me quotes, estimated £500 a room!!

I live in a three bed ex-council semi and have stripped my living room and bedroom. The rooms only need a skim coat cos I want to paint them but can't afford those rates.

If anyone could use the extra cash, please get in touch. The job is available for immediate start.
jenibrindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-05-2009, 12:41   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: One-off plastering job

It would be cheaper to paper then paint them. What do you think?
Old 31-05-2009, 20:01   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenibrindle View Post
I'm living with bare walls and it's doing my head in! The two plasterers I had round to give me quotes, estimated £500 a room!!

I live in a three bed ex-council semi and have stripped my living room and bedroom. The rooms only need a skim coat cos I want to paint them but can't afford those rates.

If anyone could use the extra cash, please get in touch. The job is available for immediate start.

When you say stripped them, what exactly, down to bare brick or an original plaster coating, if its the original plaster are there any holes in where you dug a bit deep with the scraper. If its down to bare brick then thats more expensive as it will need two coats. If its an original plaster surface a heavy duty lining paper should do, if you are just going to paint. I had my daughters living room reskimmed, and it was about £250, they finished the same day, and they worked bluudy hard.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 20:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
When you say stripped them, what exactly, down to bare brick or an original plaster coating, if its the original plaster are there any holes in where you dug a bit deep with the scraper. If its down to bare brick then thats more expensive as it will need two coats. If its an original plaster surface a heavy duty lining paper should do, if you are just going to paint. I had my daughters living room reskimmed, and it was about £250, they finished the same day, and they worked bluudy hard.

Retlaw.

By stripped I mean I've removed all the wallpaper - not knocked back to brickwork! Phew! Am not that energetic! I've also removed wallpaper from ceiling but have no problems wallpapering this again as I'm told this is v. tricky to plaster. There was one wall that the plaster came off with the wallpaper & hubby gave this a layer of plaster. However, not a plasterer himself, the finish is not great. Just want all four walls skimmed over to have smooth surface that I can paint whatever colour takes my fancy without stripping the room over and over again.

Also, at Christmas we had a log burning stove installed. The builders plastered any damage to the chimney and we have tiled the fireplace so there are no holes/repair work needed, IMO.
Old 31-05-2009, 21:21   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenibrindle View Post
By stripped I mean I've removed all the wallpaper - not knocked back to brickwork! Phew! Am not that energetic! I've also removed wallpaper from ceiling but have no problems wallpapering this again as I'm told this is v. tricky to plaster. There was one wall that the plaster came off with the wallpaper & hubby gave this a layer of plaster. However, not a plasterer himself, the finish is not great. Just want all four walls skimmed over to have smooth surface that I can paint whatever colour takes my fancy without stripping the room over and over again.

Also, at Christmas we had a log burning stove installed. The builders plastered any damage to the chimney and we have tiled the fireplace so there are no holes/repair work needed, IMO.
Does hubby's plastering stand proud of the original surface and a little bit uneven, you could get it level again by sanding, bit of a dusty job, you need a flat orbital sander, there is a special (lets call it sandpaper, but its not) it comes in sheets like sandpaper but its a mesh like material, black in colour and its good on plaster.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:34   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I always use emery cloth on my sander. It last a lot longer than sand paper. My sander came with a tool thingy with spikes on it. You put the new sanpaper/emery on the sander and push the spiky tool onto it. This puts the holes in it so when you attach the vacuum cleaner it collects some of the dust.

Belt sander works well on plaster for tarting up poor repair bodges.

If you are getting the impression that I am naff at plastering then you are right
Old 01-06-2009, 08:29   #7

I always have to sand after plastering.

Although I'm getting better, when I did the bedroom walls I got more plaster on me & the floor than I got on the walls, now its the other way around.

I need some more sand paper though, I have a wall to skim soon & will need to sand that down afterwards.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 15:09   #8

Just had a lovely local plasterer call round, named Thomas Braysford. He's fully professional, wants no cash up front and will provide full receipt. He acknowledges both rooms only need a skim coat and it will take him up to two days and can start end of this week. He's quoted £300 including materials.

I think this is a fair price and v. grateful to Accy Web for helping me find him!

Let's see if I'm still smiling next week...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:00   #9

could you let me know how to get hold of this man if he is any good. cant seem to get a plasterer who will do a small job for less than a fortune here in Haslingden thanks
The Blue Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39   #10

I'm still smiling!

In fact am very impressed & so is hubby - which is saying something! My plasterer turned up on time and stayed all day. Took thirty minutes for lunch, was very clean and tidy and v. professional. Explained everything he did and broke down how he costed things. He respected my home & I was happy to leave him with a key when I went out.

Would highly recommend and I am using again for my hallway as soon as I have a bit extra cash. His number is 01254 871652.
Old 05-06-2009, 15:32   #11
God Member

Great stuff
Old 06-06-2009, 10:35   #12

Glad to see there are still some honest self employed people out there, not many give you a break down of costs. hope he gets plenty of work.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..