Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2006, 17:22   #16
God Member

Re: Dutton Street

thanks for taking and posting the pics , am I right in thinking that the Blockbuster store is the site of Burtons tailors and where is everyone , the streets are deserted or was it 1/2 day closing .....do they still have 1/2 day closing
regards John
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2006, 17:28   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
we seem to be on a nostalgia thread going so I'll throw this in ......do any other members have memories of "grab a granny night" at Blackburn Mecca ,think it was Tuesday nights when they had the over 21 dance , young lads 17 or 18 yrs old going out and looking for the "sophisticated" older woman .
Used to go the grab a granny night regularly which was on a Wednesday. I would be in my 30's, so guess they might have been looking for me steeljack
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 19:10   #18
Member.

I remember that Bee with the Knees. It was the last time I went to a pub with my dad, probably mid 80s. Brill photos again Willow, the area looks so different from walking round there a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone got any period shot’s for comparison?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 21:14   #19

Fantastic Willow, thank you, I used to think Dutton street was longer that it looks, Burtons dos'nt look right in those colours. You must have been there early, not many cars around. but all the same it has'nt changed much.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 21:49   #20
Resident Waffler

It doesn't look wide enough to have had that underground toilet either does it? But we know it did.

It was bloomin' cold out there today so I think that's why there aren't many people about.

Half day closing is on Wednesdays but a lot of things open all day nowadays. Thursday (today) is the day for the "flea market" but sometimes it's hard to tell the flea market from the ordinary market. There are far too few real market stalls these days, you know the sort of thing I mean, proper veg stalls and such like.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 23:12   #21
Senior Member+

That was lovely, Willow. I must admit that I thought that the street was much longer and happen it had cobbles in those days. It's so annoying that your memory is so selective.
I've spent quite a bit of time thinking back since I started using this site and something struck me earlier.........wasn't the Blackburn Mecca called 'The Golden Palms' or similar in the late sixties. I seem to remember palm trees of some sort in there. It's a shame we can't time travel............would be nice to see who remembered who!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2006, 10:02   #22
Resident Waffler

Yes it was the Golden Palms and it had golden palm trees.

Old 27-01-2006, 12:27   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
the BeesKnees (complete with giant bee with flashing knees) then the Derby again and now the BeesKnees again.
Do you know that the bee is still about? its down at the bubble factory

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 23:16   #24
God Member

Junetta wrote ....
Quote:
It's a shame we can't time travel............would be nice to see who remembered who
!
it would be more interesting to see who recognised who .......over the years since my Accy Con/Blue Dahlia days my trouser size has changed about 8 times, all over 30" (the inside leg has stayed the same)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 00:00   #25
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
Do you know that the bee is still about? its down at the bubble factory
That bee is looking worse for wear. We were at Ossy Mills today and saw the poor delapidated thing. One of its knee lights has fallen off and the paint is peeling and faded.

Old 22-02-2006, 08:54   #26
God Member

I'm pretty sure there was a picture of dutton street in Andy's Florist.. i'll ask my dad about it and see if he can dig it out
Old 10-06-2006, 15:52   #27

Great pics will but how depressing it looks to when the cafe and the the other shops were there makes you want to resurect L.S Lowery to do a painting.
xaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 16:00   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

missed this one for some reason? great pics willow, used to love the dahlia it was chris the owner and he was greek i think, had a great florist andys i think only gone in recent times, would love it if anyone had photos from the sunken bogs days. not forgetting the tax office that was the downside.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..