Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2014, 22:26   #6391

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Today's walk out to a farm a few miles away - half restored beautifully in one part and crumbling away in the other part across the lane. The whole dates to the same period but the restored part was the original owner's villa and the chapel. (I have put some photos of this on before - there's a gorgeous courtyard with pool which was closed today!) Hope you'll appreciate the contrast - especially between the new and old arched entrance doors - the old one has a very old faded sundial on the wall and the road into the place (last shot) still has the old 1940's street lamp and original milestones. Number 6 is what lies behind the place - the Alps are hinted at in the cloud line!
What a curious set of doors in number 1 - almost a door and a half!
Lovely lighting in number 5
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2014, 22:28   #6392

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
A few more attempts at miniature fakes.
Well done! I almost feel like I'm looking at a miniature landscape from a model railway or something like that. There's a miniature village not too far from me - you can walk through scaled down streets and buildings. This photo effect gives the feeling of being somewhere like that. Cool!
mobertol likes this.
Old 06-02-2014, 22:36   #6393

I really am getting cabin fever - I'm spending too much time looking out of the window....

1. Says the Bluejay, oblivious to the Woodpecker's presence: "It's mine, all mine!"
2. A challenge from a Morning Dove, the meekest bird around.
3. Seeing him off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bluejay and Woodpecker.jpg (332.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Bluejay and Doves.jpg (261.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Get off.jpg (226.4 KB, 15 views)
shillelagh, Eric, mobertol and 3 others like this.
Old 06-02-2014, 22:53   #6394
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I really am getting cabin fever - I'm spending too much time looking out of the window....

1. Says the Bluejay, oblivious to the Woodpecker's presence: "It's mine, all mine!"
2. A challenge from a Morning Dove, the meekest bird around.
3. Seeing him off.
I suppose the lack of food due to the snow will entice them to the bird table, that will make them sitting ducks so to speak, for the camera.
mobertol and Turtle like this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 23:09   #6395
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I that will make them sitting ducks so to speak, for the camera.
And for the hawks.
davemac and Turtle like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 15:20   #6396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And for the hawks.
Yes, I have witnessed a few incidents where a hawk (either a Cooper's hawk or a Sharp Shinned) swooped down, caught and feasted on one of the diners at my table. I felt awful, and considered my bird feeder a trap for the innocent. But I also saw that not all hawk attacks were successful - there'd be a flutter of wings and everybody disappeared. After all, I guess hawks have to eat too.
Old 07-02-2014, 16:25   #6397
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Yes, I have witnessed a few incidents where a hawk (either a Cooper's hawk or a Sharp Shinned) swooped down, caught and feasted on one of the diners at my table. I felt awful, and considered my bird feeder a trap for the innocent. But I also saw that not all hawk attacks were successful - there'd be a flutter of wings and everybody disappeared. After all, I guess hawks have to eat too.
We once had a Sparrowhawk sitting on our front fence waiting for the Bluetits to come and feed. Max chased it away.
Turtle likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:31   #6398
God Member

Lovely shots of the birds Turtle - you seem to have as much snow as we have rain! I really liked the close-up of the seed-head Dave - the school were lucky that someone as conscientious as you found their balloon. I wonder if you win a prize or something if you find the one that's travelled furthest?
davemac and Turtle like this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:51   #6399
God Member

Today's trip out into Cremona and the museum was slightly marred by the weather. It was only light rain when getting to the museum, where I had a nice lunch in their trendy bar/restaurant. Also you weren't allowed to take photos inside the museum which was a real shame as it is very interesting architecturally and for the actual collection of violins. It's very state of the art, multi-media and interactive - you have a little handset which gives you an audio tour -it activates automatically depending on which part of the museum you're in. You go into a little workshop where the sights, sounds and smells of a violin-makers workshop are recreated and can activate films on special tables showing all the various parts of the violin, how they are made and put together. The technique is more or less exactly as it was in the time of the 3 great violin-makers from Cremona - Andrea Amati, Guarneri and Antonio Stradivari whose work covers from about 1580 through to the early 1700's. There is a violin in the collection which was made for the court of Henry VIII ! Some of them are beautifully decorated - unbelievable workmanship and they are worth a fortune.
1 Arrival at the museum -light rain!
2-5 Inside the bar/restaurant "Chiave di Bacco" (Bacchus's Key) - the ceiling is covered in musical scores and the large illuminated squares are some of the walls of the museum which is on the first floor.
6 Advert for the museum showing the most precious part of the collection
7 Suspended advert for the museum on the old tram lines.
8 The courtyard and sculpture -taken when leaving
9 Leaving the museum in heavy rain
10 Statue of Antonio Stradivari in the piazza in Cremona which bears his name -he looks pretty wet as I was at this point -no brolly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0004.jpg (165.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9998.jpg (149.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9999.jpg (153.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0001.jpg (159.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0003.jpg (143.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0032.jpg (179.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0033.jpg (175.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0025.jpg (166.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0024.jpg (171.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0037.jpg (174.0 KB, 7 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-02-2014, 17:08   #6400
God Member

Good photos on this link show what the museum is like inside - the auditorium is constructed to be like the inside of a violin and is very impressive -also it is designed to be acustically perfect so wherever you sit you hear the music perfectly.
Museo del Violino - Cremona - Recensioni su Museo del Violino - TripAdvisor

The following link is to a really good article published in the Guardian when the museum opened last September.
Violin museum shows off musical heritage of Stradivari's birthplace | World news | The Guardian

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-02-2014, 22:17   #6401
Senior Member+

Quote:
Lovely shots of the birds Turtle - you seem to have as much snow as we have rain! I really liked the close-up of the seed-head Dave - the school were lucky that someone as conscientious as you found their balloon. I wonder if you win a prize or something if you find the one that's travelled furthest?
I thought it would be interesting for the school to get a few pictures of where it landed, I don't think it will be the furthest. I did check their website and they had posted a short film of them releasing balloons, but no date as to when, I posted the pictures today and sent an email yesterday but haven't had a reply yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 22:20   #6402
Senior Member+

Quote:
Today's trip out into Cremona and the museum was slightly marred by the weather. It was only light rain when getting to the museum, where I had a nice lunch in their trendy bar/restaurant. Also you weren't allowed to take photos inside the museum which was a real shame as it is very interesting architecturally and for the actual collection of violins. It's very state of the art, multi-media and interactive - you have a little handset which gives you an audio tour -it activates automatically depending on which part of the museum you're in. You go into a little workshop where the sights, sounds and smells of a violin-makers workshop are recreated and can activate films on special tables showing all the various parts of the violin, how they are made and put together. The technique is more or less exactly as it was in the time of the 3 great violin-makers from Cremona - Andrea Amati, Guarneri and Antonio Stradivari whose work covers from about 1580 through to the early 1700's. There is a violin in the collection which was made for the court of Henry VIII ! Some of them are beautifully decorated - unbelievable workmanship and they are worth a fortune.
1 Arrival at the museum -light rain!
2-5 Inside the bar/restaurant "Chiave di Bacco" (Bacchus's Key) - the ceiling is covered in musical scores and the large illuminated squares are some of the walls of the museum which is on the first floor.
6 Advert for the museum showing the most precious part of the collection
7 Suspended advert for the museum on the old tram lines.
8 The courtyard and sculpture -taken when leaving
9 Leaving the museum in heavy rain
10 Statue of Antonio Stradivari in the piazza in Cremona which bears his name -he looks pretty wet as I was at this point -no brolly!
Another set of interesting buildings.
Old 07-02-2014, 22:23   #6403
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures, is a bit of a mash up, a few in Cutwood Park and the last of Hagg Lodge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020588.JPG (338.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P1020607.JPG (449.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1020611.JPG (384.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1020617.JPG (429.0 KB, 10 views)
shillelagh, Eric, mobertol and 3 others like this.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:29   #6404

Quote:
Good photos on this link show what the museum is like inside - the auditorium is constructed to be like the inside of a violin and is very impressive -also it is designed to be acustically perfect so wherever you sit you hear the music perfectly.
Museo del Violino - Cremona - Recensioni su Museo del Violino - TripAdvisor

The following link is to a really good article published in the Guardian when the museum opened last September.
Violin museum shows off musical heritage of Stradivari's birthplace | World news | The Guardian
What a wonderful museum - just the kind of place I'd happily spend hours in! Your photos are great, and the links are helpful for us to peek where you camera couldn't go. Thanks for this
mobertol likes this.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:34   #6405

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Today in Pictures, is a bit of a mash up, a few in Cutwood Park and the last of Hagg Lodge.
It looks like Spring is there for you - I'm envious yet pleased for you
I used to know the buds on trees in lancashire, and the order in which they would 'burst'. There were Sticky Buds, and Lambs Tails. The ash was the last to come out, I think. I've long ago forgotten all that, but please tell me: what is that coming out in number 2? It looks very exotic!
mobertol likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..