Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2012, 21:31   #1441
Resting In Peace

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was Sue who spotted it Dave.......I wasn't going to say anything...being as I'm the shy and retiring type
Glad my proof reading prowess hasn't deserted me!!
Old 30-07-2012, 22:34   #1442
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Was that a deliberate mistake Dave?

I'm having a shocker of a night first posting rude words and then not getting it right who found it, I do apologise Susie, I think I will sign off and go and make a brew and have a fig newton
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 22:37   #1443
Senior Member+

Quote:
Think that might be a female Green-veined White, Dave.
when it opened its wings it had the spots of a white, but its not definitive.
Old 30-07-2012, 22:40   #1444
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
when it opened its wings it had the spots of a white, but its not definitive.
Yes - it's the same as a cabbage white on the top side.
Old 30-07-2012, 22:42   #1445
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I'm having a shocker of a night first posting rude words and then not getting it right who found it, I do apologise Susie, I think I will sign off and go and make a brew and have a fig newton
Thought you might have meant it deliberately as it did look like a shaggy wig.

No need to apologise, I'm not going to resign from your fan club.
Old 30-07-2012, 22:49   #1446
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thought you might have meant it deliberately as it did look like a shaggy wig.

No need to apologise, I'm not going to resign from your fan club.
I was typing sphagnum, missed the "p" out it became a rude word, ran the spell checker, it didn't point it out, so it must be a word.

I'm not subtle enough for that type of reference
Old 30-07-2012, 22:51   #1447
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes - it's the same as a cabbage white on the top side.
Looks like I'm off to flickr to correct my entry.
Old 31-07-2012, 07:07   #1448
God Member

Quote:
Thanks for exposing yourself like that, if I may be a bit in
impertinent, if we put a speech bubble on number 1. would it say "according to mummy, I'm going to be a proper little madam". And if you are still speaking to me after that, I'll send some "k" to make it up.
Well spotted Dave -I can be a right little madam at times
That photo was taken just before setting out on a 2 hour hike in the pouring rain -I convinced friend Andrea to go as I love walking in the rain -it was absolutely tonking down though. Husband Dave had a better idea - watched some TV and then came to the pub in Howtown and sat in the snug having a few pints while he waited for us to arrive!

Thanks for the K -just seen it -you must have been really worried that I would be miffed

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 07:36   #1449
God Member

Was out early this morning -finished in the office then had a wander to take some shots of how they're up-dating the farm by installing solar panels on the old 1960's buildings which now house all the young livestock -quite a hive of activity. The old asbestos roofs have to be removed first (by law!) and then they are prepared with a new roofing which will finally be covered with the panels -it's a very extensive area. Generators will be installed in the area which housed the old milking parlour and in my old office they are having an operating theatre built and a sanitorium for sick animals. Note how Italian workmen follow health and safety -hard hats, harnesses, protective clothing -not a thing in sight!
1 Removal of asbestos roof (all dressed in specail clothing and masks!)
2 New delivery of solar panels
3 Area already re-roofed
4 Safety a priority when working on a roof.
5 Removal of old parlour -note workman inside bottom right.
6 Shadows cast by un-roofed structure
7 Unloading
8 Hard at work?!
9 Curious heifers
10 Long view back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (30.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (25.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (29.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (28.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (37.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (30.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (23.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 8.JPG (34.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 9.JPG (42.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (46.1 KB, 9 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 31-07-2012, 08:40   #1450
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Was out early this morning -finished in the office then had a wander to take some shots of how they're up-dating the farm by installing solar panels on the old 1960's buildings which now house all the young livestock -quite a hive of activity. The old asbestos roofs have to be removed first (by law!) and then they are prepared with a new roofing which will finally be covered with the panels -it's a very extensive area. Generators will be installed in the area which housed the old milking parlour and in my old office they are having an operating theatre built and a sanitorium for sick animals. Note how Italian workmen follow health and safety -hard hats, harnesses, protective clothing -not a thing in sight!
1 Removal of asbestos roof (all dressed in specail clothing and masks!)
2 New delivery of solar panels
3 Area already re-roofed
4 Safety a priority when working on a roof.
5 Removal of old parlour -note workman inside bottom right.
6 Shadows cast by un-roofed structure
7 Unloading
8 Hard at work?!
9 Curious heifers
10 Long view back
Your farm looks massive, and now up to date with solar panels, with all that sun, looks like free leccy.

Operating theatre, is that normal for a farm ?
Old 31-07-2012, 10:59   #1451
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
sorry i aint posted the last couple of days .. but i been ill again ... anyway heres some what i took yesterday and today ....
Hope you are feeling better, nice coloured sunsets again.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:03   #1452
God Member

Quote:
Your farm looks massive, and now up to date with solar panels, with all that sun, looks like free leccy.

Operating theatre, is that normal for a farm ?
Not at all -most just operate cows in a stall - hard to keep things sterile though. You'd be surprised how many operations we have during the year - not too many Caesarians luckily but a lot of umbilical hernias in calves, suturing after difficult calvings, dislocations of the abomasum are the most common problem and in the seven years we've been on this farm I've seen two amputations of part of a cows foot. We have also had some torsions of the intestine but generally if the cows get this they go to be butchered - very sad. Occasionally the vet does an autopsy if a cow dies unexpectedly.

It is a very big farm now -milking 400 cows a day -altogether there are about 1100 animals. It's rather like looking after a village full of people but about 40% of them are pregnant all time so it's a lot of work keeping on top them all! In the office I'm in charge of registering births, deaths and marriages

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 31-07-2012, 11:15   #1453
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Not at all -most just operate cows in a stall - hard to keep things sterile though. You'd be surprised how many operations we have during the year - not too many Caesarians luckily but a lot of umbilical hernias in calves, suturing after difficult calvings, dislocations of the abomasum are the most common problem and in the seven years we've been on this farm I've seen two amputations of part of a cows foot. We have also had some torsions of the intestine but generally if the cows get this they go to be butchered - very sad. Occasionally the vet does an autopsy if a cow dies unexpectedly.

It is a very big farm now -milking 400 cows a day -altogether there are about 1100 animals. It's rather like looking after a village full of people but about 40% of them are pregnant all time so it's a lot of work keeping on top them all! In the office I'm in charge of registering births, deaths and marriages
Well, that sounds a complex farm operation in more than the sense of the word, and with all those animals perhaps a lot of photo oportunities at feeding time, perhaps I will lend you my hover boots for an aeriel shot of the whole farm.
Old 31-07-2012, 12:06   #1454
Resting In Peace

Lancaster continued...

1 The Town Hall clock
2 Plaque on the A6 bridge over the canal
3 Looking down on the canal from the A6 bridge, hospital behind
4 The canal basin with a rather nice footbridge
5 The A6 bridge from the canal
6 Seat on the canal basin. I would have fallen in if I'd gone any further back!
7 Not mush room under here- mooring bracket on the canal side. Sorry Marg you've made the same joke on Flickr!
8 Nice name for a leisure boat
9 Not far to go from your boat if yo want to do some DIY...
10 Going into town now - nice pub in the main street, no didn't stop, was tempted

More tomorrow...

Sorry just noticed posted from the wrong set of photos... a couple of those should have been cropped - using new software - does all sorts of silly things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300034P7300034.jpg (91.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300036P7300036.jpg (107.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300038P7300038.jpg (144.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300040P7300040.jpg (100.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300043P7300043.jpg (161.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300042P7300042.jpg (106.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300044P7300044.jpg (145.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300045P7300045.jpg (66.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300048P7300048.jpg (86.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 30072012P7300050P7300050.jpg (125.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by susie123; 31-07-2012 at 12:09.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 13:37   #1455
Senior Member+

After looking at the pictures of the moon I thought I would try to get some shots of it.

I looked every where for it but couldn't see it. I know it was about because Davemac had just posted a photo of it, I also knew where it should be.

After while I took a few snaps of things in the sky and just as I was about to get back to my beer the moon came rolling down the roof of a house a hundred yards away. It must have been hiding behind the chimney stack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1007.jpg (231.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1008.jpg (204.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1009.jpg (412.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1010.jpg (261.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1017.jpg (482.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1022.jpg (280.3 KB, 11 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..