Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2012, 16:48   #16

Re: Where could this be then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Just found a photo of a similar wagon...

By coincidence appears to be a mission church or similar behind it.
I assumed the left hand side of the truck was the back, which would be the opposite of your picture. And the windows seemed to be at opposite ends as well, but maybe the left hand side is the front.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2012, 16:52   #17

Do we know where your pic is located?

Phil
Old 24-02-2012, 20:28   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I assumed the left hand side of the truck was the back, which would be the opposite of your picture. And the windows seemed to be at opposite ends as well, but maybe the left hand side is the front.

Phil
If you look at your pic the big wheels are on the right so that is is the back, and the small wheels, you can just see one underneath, are at the left which would be the front. Agree the windows seem to be in the wrong place, don't know why that is.

Quote:
Do we know where your pic is located?

Phil
No Phil, the website I got it from has no info about the pics at all.

Historic-Images - Accrington
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 20:33   #19

Anyone got any photos of Ellisons tenement. I seem to remember it was used for passing attractions and the like and maybe that is where I got the idea it might be around that area.

I think I have one somewhere, when the fair was in town if I rememberbut cant find it anywhere. Will have to keep looking...

Phil
Old 26-02-2012, 21:36   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Anyone got any photos of Ellisons tenement. I seem to remember it was used for passing attractions and the like and maybe that is where I got the idea it might be around that area.

I think I have one somewhere, when the fair was in town if I rememberbut cant find it anywhere. Will have to keep looking...

Phil
Phil, I have a book with an aerial photo of that area from about 1930. You can see the Corporation bus garages but the houses round about don't look like the ones in your photo.

I saw a pic of a wartime prefab which looked like the building behind your wagon but of course they didn't come on the scene till after the war.
Old 26-02-2012, 21:43   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Phil
I'm near certain it aint that area, spent much time down yon in 50s playing in owd Hippodrome n had mates lived local to it. realise stuff may have gone by that time, but nowt at all is familiar?
Old 27-02-2012, 21:41   #22

Proving more difficult this one.....grasping at the proverbial straws.....

Assuming then it is around the time of the "Evangelical or Bethel crusades"..1932 ish,

1. Could it be the gatty park area?
2. My grandad as I mentioned, had a shop in Wellington St so what about that area like Cashman mentioned.
3. Looks like there could be allotments in the photo, so were there many areas of that type at the time..maybe on Hyndburn Rd way?
4. Can we trace in which part of Accrington the "Evangelical crusaders" pitched their "tents" or had their headquarters during the campaigns?

Phil
Old 27-02-2012, 21:51   #23
Full Member+

I'm wondering if those aren't terraced houses but some sort of commercial buildings as there's no windows on the front of the second one. But can anyone else see clothes hanging out near the little girls hat?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 21:59   #24
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
I'm wondering if those aren't terraced houses but some sort of commercial buildings as there's no windows on the front of the second one. But can anyone else see clothes hanging out near the little girls hat?
Steve isn't the wall with no windows the side of a back addition, not unusual for that not to have windows. And yes there is washing there - Phil mentioned it a few posts back. Still no wiser though.
Old 27-02-2012, 22:05   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The second one could be somewhere up ossy? thats were the wagons from, anyone know where the Coop Laundry was up yon? that could be somewhere near it? Aint very familiar wi ossy even though lived yon fer a few years.
Old 27-02-2012, 22:08   #26
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Proving more difficult this one.....grasping at the proverbial straws.....

Assuming then it is around the time of the "Evangelical or Bethel crusades"..1932 ish,

1. Could it be the gatty park area?
2. My grandad as I mentioned, had a shop in Wellington St so what about that area like Cashman mentioned.
3. Looks like there could be allotments in the photo, so were there many areas of that type at the time..maybe on Hyndburn Rd way?
4. Can we trace in which part of Accrington the "Evangelical crusaders" pitched their "tents" or had their headquarters during the campaigns?

Phil
Phil your best bet for info might be in the Observer of the time. That is where Atarah nailed the info about the Bethel walking day and opening of the church.
Old 27-02-2012, 22:09   #27
Full Member+

Oh, maybe should've read all the posts!
Do you mean a back addition at right angles to the row of terraces a bit like a kitchen extension?
Old 27-02-2012, 22:19   #28
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Oh, maybe should've read all the posts!
Do you mean a back addition at right angles to the row of terraces a bit like a kitchen extension?

Yes that's right! I believe back addition is the technical term for it, at least down south where I learned my architectural jargon when I worked for a housing association.
Old 28-02-2012, 19:52   #29
Resting In Peace

Was looking at the 1909 Accy map earlier and noticed a row of houses at the Blackburn Road end of Ellison's Tenement which all had back additions However they were all separate not joined in pairs like the ones in the photo. But it set me thinking that if we looked hard enough at that map we might be able to track down such a row.

Anyone got the time or the patience?
Old 28-02-2012, 20:03   #30
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Was looking at the 1909 Accy map earlier and noticed a row of houses at the Blackburn Road end of Ellison's Tenement which all had back additions However they were all separate not joined in pairs like the ones in the photo. But it set me thinking that if we looked hard enough at that map we might be able to track down such a row.

Anyone got the time or the patience?
Been doing that on and off for a few days - no joy. Got the Church & Osw map here as well.....
Saw a row of houses on the map at the end of Thwaites Road that looked promising but Google proved it wrong.
My problem with it is that the "additions" look too big. Looked at quite a few buildings whilst driving around and haven't seen anything like 'em.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..