Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2012, 22:19   #1

Where could this be then...

Picture of my Mum, uncle and Grandad on the right and two unknowns (man and child) on left in about 1928/9.

Where do you think this could be?

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan1 (405).jpg (147.6 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Karateman; 22-02-2012 at 22:25.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2012, 22:24   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Where could this be then...

It wouldn't be behind the bottom end of Cotton St ? just a wild guess.
Old 22-02-2012, 22:25   #3
Full Member+

This one could prove trickier but if those big buildings in the background were around in about 1909 we might be able to pinpoint 'em with that piece of spare land, on the street map.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 22:30   #4
Senior Member+

Eeh! eck! thats a hard question!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 22:35   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Do you actually know phil?
Old 22-02-2012, 22:36   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Picture of my Mum, uncle and Grandad on the right and two unknowns (man and child) on left in about 1928/9.

Where do you think this could be?

Phil
Are you sure it's not a bit later Phil? The wheeled vehicle behind them has the word evangelistic on the side and the article Atarah found in the
Observer on the Bethel thread sayst he first branch in Accrington of the Bethel Evangelistic Society opened its chapel in 1932 so maybe this is just a bit before that.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 06:40   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Are you sure it's not a bit later Phil? The wheeled vehicle behind them has the word evangelistic on the side and the article Atarah found in the
Observer on the Bethel thread sayst he first branch in Accrington of the Bethel Evangelistic Society opened its chapel in 1932 so maybe this is just a bit before that.
Going by what the woman, and the girl are wearing, I'd have put the date as 1932/33.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:11   #8
Resting In Peace

Datewise I agree with Gary.

The buildings in the left background look like the back additions of rather substantial terraced houses. On the far left, small sheds, possibly allotments.

In the right background behind the group is what looks like a large shed-like building, possibly one of the mission churches that used these sort of structures.

Then we have a cart or wagon painted with religious slogans, possibly trundled out to open air meetings to spread the word.

Behind the corner of the wagon and above the lady's head is a dark curved item which I cannot identify. Could be the top of a porch on the building or a curved board projecting from the back of the vehicle.

These are my thoughts for the moment.

Phil is your grandad the same man as in the Holland Street shop photo?
Old 23-02-2012, 16:41   #9

"Phil is your grandad the same man as in the Holland Street shop photo?"

Yep!...they also had a shop on Wellington st but not sure where. If I remember rightly it might have been something to do with leather or shoes because I believe he used to mend shoes and clogs, but hat might have been a sideline perhaps.

Phil
Old 23-02-2012, 16:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Do you actually know phil?
Hi Cash,
please let me apologise for our "words" in the Spire farm thread. Not usually like me. Nothing untoward meant. I am a member of quite a few forums and dont like falling out with anyone and felt sorry for the guy in the thread who was getting some stick.......mates?

Anyway back to the photo..

Sorry I dont know where it is, but, for some reason I have "the tenament" in my mind...ellisons I think near where the old bus depot was...could be way out though.
Date wise..my mum was born in 1912 and my uncle about 1915. He looks about 14 maybe and mum about 18 so it could be 1929/30 ish.
You mentioned cotton st, they had a shop in Wellington st as I mentioned earlier so........

Phil
Old 23-02-2012, 17:35   #11
Full Member+

Might I suggest that it was taken on allotments near to the chapel that existed on Hyndburn Road next to the then Broughton's Tile Workshop. All were demolished to make way for the current roundabout and the Arndale Centre. Just a thought!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 19:17   #12

I think the curved bit is the entrance up into the wagon..maybe an old shara, converted.

I'm beginning to think maybe 1931/2 now as my uncle is in long pants so probably left school...
And there is a washing line at the back so habited housing and not works or a warehouse.

Wasn't the hippadrome a wooden building?

I also seem to see some mock tudor type beams....

Phil
Old 23-02-2012, 19:24   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Nowt to apologise fer, Phil, I never fell out wi yeh, Just say things as i see em, always have. I just seem to recall some old buildings summat like those up cotton st, but don't recall those allotments,if thats what they are, hence said twas a wild guess.
Old 24-02-2012, 11:00   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I think the curved bit is the entrance up into the wagon..maybe an old shara, converted.

I'm beginning to think maybe 1931/2 now as my uncle is in long pants so probably left school...
And there is a washing line at the back so habited housing and not works or a warehouse.

Wasn't the hippadrome a wooden building?

I also seem to see some mock tudor type beams....

Phil
Yes Phil, looking at the photo again the curved bit does look like the entranceto the wagon.

The original Hippodrome was a wooden building and was built in 1903 on the site of Ohmy's circus. It burned down on 6 June 1908 and was rebuilt and reopened in December 1908.

See pic for post 1908 building
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hippodrome.jpg (12.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 24-02-2012, 11:39   #15
Resting In Peace

Just found a photo of a similar wagon...

By coincidence appears to be a mission church or similar behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagon.jpg (147.7 KB, 56 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..